• Yukon
    • Nunavut
    • Not from the Territories

140 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

What an interesting question that Trailmix asked here:

So where is everyone from?

Lol...Funny, that whenever I'm asked this question, I and Everyone Else usually gets... :wacko:

Here, let me explain it in the "condensed version" that I usually end up telling:

Age Birth-5 years: Some other foreign country (which I have no ties to and haven't been back ever since)

-Big City (Population millions+, 2 or so different locations)

Age 5- Age 23: "I am Canadian!!!" (And will always be Canadian, Naturalized Canadian Citizen at Age 9)

-Big City Toronto (Population millions+, 11 or so different locations)

Age 23- Present: "I fell in love, got married, moved 3 hours south to New York State, USA....I am American, who loves small-town/rural life!!!"

-Small Town #1 (Population 2000-3000, 2 different locations)

-Small Town #2 (Population 2000-3000, Soon to move in July/August 2009, My final move!)

I've moved a total of 15 times so far (and I have another move #16 on the way soon, plus a baby on the way...), moving overall between 3 different foreign contries, and in many different living situations. So yeah, I'm used to "living out of suitcases, backpacks, tupperware, and cardboard boxes" for most of my life....I don't mind moving though as I see it as a "new adventure" every time I move....:)

What I mind though is going through this frustrating immigration process while I move... :angry: (I'm sure you all feel the same way going through this whole immigration process as well)

And yes, I do get tired of people asking me "Where I'm From?", having to tell my "complicated life story" over and over again, and then having them being confused at what I just truthfully said to them...

Lol..this reminds me of a time when I was in the hospital, and the nurses asked that exact question (while I was in a lot of pain after coming out of the operating room and still under a lot of medication). So I told them the whole story...and needless to say..all they wanted to know was what town I was from...lol....(though what I told them made for good conversation afterwards in recovery anyways).

Since then, I've always asked others to be "more specific" whenever they ask "Where I'm From"...

Seriously, I should write a book about all of my travels and moves.....Oh what tales to tell, indeed!..:jest:

Lol...meanwhile, you here online can say that "I'm from VJ"...as this feels like "where I am from online".....:)

Ok, now that I've told my "condensed story"...Now it's your turn..."Where are all you VJers from?"

Ant (Needing to "settle down" and stop moving....Where I'm from....who knows anymore.... :wacko: )

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born and raised in Toronto. Lived in Kitchener/Waterloo during university.

K-1 Visa Timeline

01.07.08 Sent in I-129f package

01.24.08 NOA1

03.25.08 NOA2

04.18.08 Package 3 received

05.07.08 Medical @ Dr. Seiden's in T.O.

05.09.08 Sent back checklist & forms

05.13.08 Mtl received & eligible for interview

06.12.08 Called DOS & found out interview date

06.19.08 Received interview letter

07.24.08 Interview in Montreal - Approved!! :D

07.28.08 Received Visa!!!

08.04.08 POE Alexandria Bay

08.18.08 Civil Ceremony

10.11.08 Wedding

AOS Timeline

04.25.09 Sent in AOS, EAD, AP package

04.27.09 Accepted at Chicago Office

05.01.09 NOAS for AOS, EAD & AP

05.12.09 Biometrics Appt letter

06.02.09 Biometrics done

07.01.09 EAD card production ordered & AP approval

07.09.09 Received AP

07.13.09 Received EAD

07.17.09 Received AOS interview notice

08.17.09 AOS interview - Approved !! :D

Removing Conditions

08.16.11 I-751 received by VSC

08.24.11 NOA came in mail

09.07.11 Biometrics appt notice

09.30.11 Biometrics appt

Filed: Timeline
Remember when you'd drive down the 400 and you'd see wonderland and then about 10 minutes later you'd get to Toronto? Now you see homes and then wonderland.

I remember when they first built Wonderland and thinking "Wow. They sure did build it out in the boonies." :lol:

So true! My Grandparents had this cute little bungalow on Woodhaven Park Road, right off Lakeshore in Bronte. The last time I drove by, it had been torn down and this ginormous ugly mansion was being built! They had so much land.

I had a house off Woodhaven Park Road! :o Only it's not in Bronte. Bronte starts on the other side of Third Line. OMG.... I remember Bronte before it became part of Oakville! :o :o :o:lol: But that's where my parents live..... in the Coronation Park area. I had a house within walking distance of their house. My Mum cried when I moved. :(

Age Birth-5 years: Some other foreign country (which I have no ties to and haven't been back ever since)

[snip]

Since then, I've always asked others to be "more specific" whenever they ask "Where I'm From"...

Not asking where you're originally from, Ant, but was just curious as to why you're never specific about it?

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

cool - U of Dub....or the highschool down the road (aka WLU)...lol no harm intended :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Krikit, that's so funny, what years did you live off Woodhaven Park? My grandparents were very active in the community, they knew all their neighbors, my Gran walked with her dog Scooter every day and talked to everyone! They lived their from 1980-1999.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

cool - U of Dub....or the highschool down the road (aka WLU)...lol no harm intended :)

I'm not muffin, but I went to Laurier :)

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Krikit, that's so funny, what years did you live off Woodhaven Park? My grandparents were very active in the community, they knew all their neighbors, my Gran walked with her dog Scooter every day and talked to everyone! They lived their from 1980-1999.

I lived there from 1983-2002. It's where my kids grew up. Maybe they knew Scooter! :lol: Did she know the Whites who lived on the corner? (That's not me, BTW. :lol: ) Oh no, wait. That's before their time, I think. I grew up in the area so I actually lived there for far longer than that. 1983-2002 is when I owned my own home there. Then I moved to Burlington.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I lived there from 1983-2002. It's where my kids grew up. Maybe they knew Scooter! :lol: Did she know the Whites who lived on the corner? (That's not me, BTW. :lol: ) Oh no, wait. That's before their time, I think. I grew up in the area so I actually lived there for far longer than that. 1983-2002 is when I owned my own home there. Then I moved to Burlington.

Wow, what a small world! Their names were Ernie, Dorothy and Scooter. My Gran had pitch black curly hair, it never turned grey. They lived across the street from this Danish couple who had a real life train set in their backyard, that we could go on rides on. It was so cool. Every time I drive by now, there are so many monster houses on the street! I was sad to see their little home knocked down

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Krikit,

Lol...Interesting question that you ask here about that, regarding me not being specific about where I'm born from...(and no, I don't take offense at all to you asking about it)

The simple answer would be: I'm Canadian and "that's where I'm from"! (and proud of it too... :thumbs: )

And to be associated with any other country other than Canada where I grew up in and spent most of my life there (well, maybe except for the USA, where I'm in now and will continue to spend the rest of my life here), just seems wrong to me. This is especially true for me, as my birth country has a bad reputation politically and culturally, I have not emotional/social/etc. connection there, and I wouldn't want to go there even if someone paid me to...lol....

It's like a "sore thumb" and downright :blush: to have my birth country "stick with me" for the rest of my life, so I'd rather just not mention it, as this causes extra confusion and complications for me and for everyone else too.....

But alas, I cannot change this fact legally, nor can I change my past, nor can I change my appearance. All I can do is make others aware of the "mistake" and correct it by simply saying:

"I am Canadian (and soon-to-be American)!" (and show them my Canadian/American paperwork if needed to prove such). No ands, ifs, buts, or anything else about it!

Hope this helps...Or at least gives you some better understanding as to what I have to deal with.

Ant (Canadian/American, and proud of it!)

Not asking where you're originally from, Ant, but was just curious as to why you're never specific about it?

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia

14 days to 14 years in Bermuda

14 years to 30 years in Ontario (Ottawa/Guelph/Kitchener-Waterloo)

Back to Bermuda for two years

Now in Georgia

For those of you from Amherst, my parents have a home in Little River that I spent every single summer vacation at until I was 24.

~ Catherine

Jill, if you'd like a little visual reminder of Bronte, take a look at this video. (Hey! I can see my brother's house! :lol: )

My Mum and I went for a walk on the pier the other day and decided to visit the model suite in The Shores ..... the new condo development where Bill Hill's used to be. It is absolutely stunning. You should go and visit it the next time you're in town. Well, my Mum is sold on the place but my Dad absolutely refuses to move. Which makes me really apprehensive because he is getting old and I'm worried that one of these days he is going to kill himself with the upkeep of their house..... because he still thinks he can do things (like cutting the grass and shovelling the driveway). He refused to let me cut the grass while I was there so I had to watch him take frequent rests to catch his breath, plus I saw him hold his chest in pain.... he has angina. Gawd. It was terrible. I'll kill him if he dies cutting the grass! :lol: I've made arrangements for someone else to come and do it but I'll bet you anything he'll still try. :angry:

Anyway.... I didn't mean to tell you all that! I just wanted to show you the video of Bronte. :lol::blush:

iagree.gif

Timeline
Jill, if you'd like a little visual reminder of Bronte, take a look at this video. (Hey! I can see my brother's house! :lol: )

My Mum and I went for a walk on the pier the other day and decided to visit the model suite in The Shores ..... the new condo development where Bill Hill's used to be. It is absolutely stunning. You should go and visit it the next time you're in town. Well, my Mum is sold on the place but my Dad absolutely refuses to move. Which makes me really apprehensive because he is getting old and I'm worried that one of these days he is going to kill himself with the upkeep of their house..... because he still thinks he can do things (like cutting the grass and shovelling the driveway). He refused to let me cut the grass while I was there so I had to watch him take frequent rests to catch his breath, plus I saw him hold his chest in pain.... he has angina. Gawd. It was terrible. I'll kill him if he dies cutting the grass! :lol: I've made arrangements for someone else to come and do it but I'll bet you anything he'll still try. :angry:

Anyway.... I didn't mean to tell you all that! I just wanted to show you the video of Bronte. :lol::blush:

Oh thanks! *Memories!* I can see my old apt building on Marine Drive! You know what they neglect to mention though, the disgusting black sludge that piles up every spring/summer and stinks up to high heaven of dead fish! They really need to dredge the harbour, it's so nasty.

I'll be in Oakville next week, so I'll probably take a look at the Shores! I miss Bill Hill's :crying: They had the best ice cream!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

I am from BC.

I am from a town in BC called Dawson Creek.

As a result, I hate all Fox programming and James Van Der Beek. That stupid show was the worst thing.

On the other hand, it would have been easy to bilk the disappointed tourists if I had been, shall we say, a less scrupulous teenager.

"Yes. Yes, for fifty dollars I will take you on a tour. Here we have the window everyone was always climbing in and out of all the freaking time."

"This is an abandoned 7-11. Are you sure -- "

"TOUR'S OVER."

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

I'm from Bridgenorth, near Peterbourgh Ontario. Lived around the province a bit, in Lindsay, Omemee and Lakefield, and then off for 15 years to Charlottetown PEI. From there to Halifax for a couple of years, and then to Auckland New Zealand for 16 years. Now in Virginia :)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.