Moonskin

Advice for filing K3/CR1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

for those who had read my other topic a few weeks ago, my hunny and I got finally married last week. As scheduled I am going back to France (next week) to take care of a few things and we are going to beging a K3 or CR1 process (not 100% sure which one yet but prob CR1) while I am still in the US. We have printed the forms from the USCI website but I'd like to have a few precisions on some stuff.

On filling I-130

- Is it better to fill in the forms by handwritting or to type w/e we can thn print and fill in the rest handwritting ?

- If my hubby (he is in the military) is getting deployed before the end of the process can we change he adress (easily) ?

- How to fill in the blanks for "Arrival Departure Record (I-94)" ? (stupid question I know)

- In "Information about your relative", section [1] for family name, should I write maiden name (which is the one I will mostly use for a little while) or married name ?

- Therefore for section [7] - other names used - should I put only the maiden name or both ?

On filling G-325A

- Same question about handwritting / typing.

- "Family Name" : Should I input Spouse name or Maiden name ?

- What do they mean by "File number : A [blank]" ? (top right)

- "All other names used" => same question as first one.

- "Show below last occupation abroard if not shown above (Include all information requested above)." ==> What do they mean ?

- This form is submitted in connection with an application for : Should we check Status as Permanent Resident on both mine and my husband's G-325A ?

- I don't have any Alien Registration Number yet, shall i write N/A ? Is it a problem ? (since I am not supposed to have one yet)

The guide says

G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated

G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the non-US Citzen spouse signed and dated

so for each of us we have to fill in the same infos 4 times and they will be sent to 4 different places, that's it ?

On proof of bonafied marriage

We have a fair amount of proofs showing our relationship like pictures, phone bills, debit card tickets, our plane tickets, e-mails, letters with stamps, etc. But we have no joint account or property yet, would that be a problem ?

Do they accept only proofs "on paper" ? Cuz I was thinking about the marriage ceremony recording (it was just a civil union, big one coming in 2 years), or maybe it was just a stupid idea.

That is all I can think about at the moment, so if anyone has other tips or advice that would be nice.

Thank you.

Feb. 2007 : meet online

March 2008 : Fell in love

May 2008 : officially "dating"

June 21st 2008 : ingame "wedding" haha

-------------------------------------------------

July 14th 2008 : bf gone to basic training

August 30th : graduated - on the way to tech school :)

October 30th : graduated tech school - moving base :)

Dec. 23rd 2008 : 1st visit - bf arrival in France (yesss !)

Dec. 28th 2008 : introduced him to parents (they love him, wheee !)

Jan. 4th 2008 : bf gotta go back to the US, sad day.

May 1st 2009 : 1st time in the US, got to see my love again whee !

May 9th 2009 : Civil Union :)

May 24th 2009 : Going back to France, booh :(

June 17th : I-130 package sent

June 27th : Got delivery confirmation

June 29th : Got NOA1 yeeey !

July 10th : Back in the US to see my love :)

August 10th : And back in France again :(

Sept. 18th : Touched

Sept. 29th : got an RFE :(

Oct. 6th : RFE answer received by USCIS

Currently : ready to go back to the USA and see my loved one !

definitely definitely definitely go the CR-1 route! almost everyone here will agree on that these days.

your questions:

when possible always type your responses rather than handwrite them on all forms.

the name is something you're going to have to decide for yourself. it should be whatever is in your passport, as the name on the visa will have to match what is in your passport. it might be easier to change that now but i'm not sure as my husband was the beneficiary so no name change there. i'm sure someone else will have some advice on that one though.

you don't have an A# yet- that will be assigned when they actually process your petition. leave that blank or put in N/A.

the I-94 info is actually a very good question. they want you to fill in the info from the arrival record that should be stapled in your passport. if you file it while you are still in the US though they may consider it as part of an adjustment of status application so i'm not sure what you should do there. sorry :(

by last occupation abroad they mean if you've been been inside the US and working for the last 5 years then all of your employment history listed above will be in the US so they want to know your last employer outside of the country. if you have not been working in the US which you most likely haven't, you should leave it blank, as your last occupation abroad would be the most recent one you listed above.

you do need 4 copies of the G-325A but they will all be sent to the same place. filling it in on the computer is definitely better for this one!

and for proof of relationship, they understand that most newlyweds won't own homes together or share bank accounts yet. send in some photos from throughout the relationship, phone, email or chat logs, tickets from trips to visit each other, etc. i don't know that sending in a videorecording would do you any good- i don't think anyone will watch it...

i think that was it. good luck!

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Timeline

One more question I forgot to ask :

The documents to provide have to be the originals or photocopies are ok ? Since we have to make 2 copies of each, gathering the originals 3 times would be a pain...

At the USCIS stage, photocopies are acceptable. If you go with the CR-1 then when the petition gets to NVC (after the I-130 is approved) you'll send in originals. If you go with the K-3 the beneficiary brings those originals to the interview.

What do you mean 2 copies of each? You should only be submitting one copy at this point. The second is for your own records, but you'll still have the original.

Naturalization

DONE!

also forgot to mention, if you need to change the address on file you can do that by calling USCIS. if you're doing it because of an imminent deployment though, that's also a reason for an expedite and you should definitely let them know that as soon as you find out.

Naturalization

DONE!

Timeline
At the USCIS stage, photocopies are acceptable. If you go with the CR-1 then when the petition gets to NVC (after the I-130 is approved) you'll send in originals. If you go with the K-3 the beneficiary brings those originals to the interview.

What do you mean 2 copies of each? You should only be submitting one copy at this point. The second is for your own records, but you'll still have the original.

* We will prob go CR1. And I was wondering about the birth certificate, the guide says it is no longer required fro the immigrant, is it 100% sure ?

* Yes I was talking abt the 2 copies that we keep for ourselves.

One more question : does the cover letter have to be written by the USC or by the immigrant or is it w/e ? And does it have to be handwritten or typed ?

good choice with the CR1. here is everything i put in for my I-130 in october of 2008. never got an RFE, all went well:

- Payment in the amount of $355

- I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

- G-325A and passport style photo of petitioner, labeled

- G-325A and passport style photo of beneficiary, labeled

- Birth certificate of petitioner

- Marriage certificate

- Photographs from throughout relationship

so nope, no birth certificate for the immigrant. i included mine, the petitioners, as proof of citizenship. you can include a photocopy of his passport if you'd prefer.

as for the cover letter, i wrote that. it is the american citizen petitioning for their relative, so the USC should do it. i also always recommend typing everything. it's easier for them to read and you can save it on your computer to refer back to. i've looked back at all of my paperwork at least a million times, so it's handy to have it all on the computer.

and if you have access to a scanner, even better. scan all of your documents and keep a digital copy. that way when originals aren't necessary you can save the postage and just email each other the copies of the forms you've already done. it helps since they ask for the same information about a dozen different times on various forms so it's nice for consistency's sake.

Naturalization

DONE!

Timeline
good choice with the CR1. here is everything i put in for my I-130 in october of 2008. never got an RFE, all went well:

- Payment in the amount of $355

- I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

- G-325A and passport style photo of petitioner, labeled

- G-325A and passport style photo of beneficiary, labeled

- Birth certificate of petitioner

- Marriage certificate

- Photographs from throughout relationship

so nope, no birth certificate for the immigrant. i included mine, the petitioners, as proof of citizenship. you can include a photocopy of his passport if you'd prefer.

as for the cover letter, i wrote that. it is the american citizen petitioning for their relative, so the USC should do it. i also always recommend typing everything. it's easier for them to read and you can save it on your computer to refer back to. i've looked back at all of my paperwork at least a million times, so it's handy to have it all on the computer.

and if you have access to a scanner, even better. scan all of your documents and keep a digital copy. that way when originals aren't necessary you can save the postage and just email each other the copies of the forms you've already done. it helps since they ask for the same information about a dozen different times on various forms so it's nice for consistency's sake.

We don't have a scanner, but I will keep a copy of forms I fill in, pdf format ofc. For the rest, it is already on computer, just needs to be printed, except the letters which have to be photocopied (They're gonna receive a very big package haha). I was really wondering about the cover letter to be typed or handwritten, cuz on the one hand, handwritting is more "genuine" but on the other hand typing is clearer (and my husband is difficult to read sometimes). But if typing is ok, then w/e, I'' prob type it and we both ign our names or sth,we will see.

It looks good so far, except with all the stuff left to copy and print ; I just need to find out about that I-94 stuff to check on the form.

Oh btw, I see that you have also filled the form I-129F, you had applied for both CR1 and K3 first ?

yeah they don't really care about personal touches. it's all just formalities. if you give them what they need that's all they care about. so definitely type it up.

are you going to file this before you leave? if you wait until after you're gone then you won't have to put anything in the I-94 box. you might even be able to leave it blank no matter what since you're not in the US in the sense that they mean yet (permanently), but i don't want to advise you to do anything incorrectly or illegally so definitely see if anyone else has any ideas. maybe start another thread with I-94 in the title and that'll get more responses.

and yes, i was originally planning on going the K-3 route but that was before i knew any better. they were both approved on the same day though so we're going to pursue both since the K-3 won't cost us any more money until the interview. if we get a very late interview for the CR-1 then we'll ask about using the K-3 interview to get an immigrant visa. hopfully we'll be on track at NVC to get our CR-1 interview around the same time anyway though.

Naturalization

DONE!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just a stupid question : in what case should I fill in " N/A " and " none " ? Cuz it seems abt the same :whistle: .

Like Alien Registration Number : I dont have one yet, then should I write Non Applicable or None ?

Same for Name of Prior Husband/Wife + there is none so = leaving the date blank ? (cant write either N/A or none here)

Timeline
Just a stupid question : in what case should I fill in " N/A " and " none " ? Cuz it seems abt the same :whistle: .

Like Alien Registration Number : I dont have one yet, then should I write Non Applicable or None ?

Same for Name of Prior Husband/Wife + there is none so = leaving the date blank ? (cant write either N/A or none here)

One more question :

This form is submitted in connection with an application for: Naturalization / Status As Permanent Resident / Other (specify)

=> what should we write for me and for my husband (who is the USC) ?

Btw sorry but I cant edit my previous post :o

And has the signature to be handwritten ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.