SSB

Last name???

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi I recently got married in Pakistan Aug 22, 2008 and I did a petition I-130 for my husband Oct 24, 2009 and I tried to get my name changed to my married name but DMV wouldn't do it because it's an out of country marriage but I was able to change my Social Security Card to my married name so when I did the petition I did it under my marriage name, my passport has my madien name and I have my marriage cert attached, will there be a problem in approving my I-130??? The case was transferred Dec 11, 2008 and still no approval and I think it might because of my married name.... please help

"All we really need to survive is the one person who truly loves us."

My DMV just needed the translation of marriage certificate.

I would think if your social security number has been changed the DMV wouldn't have a problem.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi I recently got married in Pakistan Aug 22, 2008 and I did a petition I-130 for my husband Oct 24, 2009 and I tried to get my name changed to my married name but DMV wouldn't do it because it's an out of country marriage but I was able to change my Social Security Card to my married name so when I did the petition I did it under my marriage name, my passport has my madien name and I have my marriage cert attached, will there be a problem in approving my I-130??? The case was transferred Dec 11, 2008 and still no approval and I think it might because of my married name.... please help

My passport was and still is in my maiden name and we never had any problems.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

no worries! i used my married name on the forms but the photocopy i sent of my passport still had my maiden name. i had no problems at all. the most important thing to do is change your name with social security, which you've done.

as for the dmv, in ny they also will not accept a foreign marriage certificate. i showed my new social security card and my new passport once i got those changed as well as my marriage certificate and that worked.

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I just had my certified translation of my marriage certificate and my old DL they changed it on the spot.

If you book your travel in your married name make sure to have your marriage certificate with you.

I just had my certified translation of my marriage certificate and my old DL they changed it on the spot.

If you book your travel in your married name make sure to have your marriage certificate with you.

driver's licenses are issued by the state and the laws are different for each one. it really depends where you are. mine was an english certificate issued in the UK and new york state would not accept it, no bones about it. you'll have to find out what your state will accept if not the marriage certificate. with a social security card and a passport though, there's really no way they can turn you down.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your response... I just wanted to make sure my case was not delayed because of my last name, DMV in NY is tough they won't change my name my marriage cert is in english, I am not really worried about my name not being changed unless it doesn't mess up my petition paper work. Thanks everyone :)

"All we really need to survive is the one person who truly loves us."

I used my married name in the I-130 forms.. but when I got my DS3032... they put in my maiden name.

so... i think it won't be a problem. they'll see your maiden name in the marriage certificate anyway.

plus, women have a right to retain their maiden name after marriage anyways... so you'll be alright.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.