mejduprey

SSN and AOS

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I landed in the US as an IR1 May 1.

I have not yet received my SSN card in the mail, and some people on the forum suggested I go to the SSN office myself and get it done.

Is there any danger of them giving me two numbers by accident, or can they look me up in their system and see if I have already been issued a number?

Also, I keep hearing of people applying for an AOS which I believe is an adjustment of status. Do I need to do this?

I have been married for over 2 years, so I don't think my Green Card is a conditional one. I believe it will be good for 10 years.

Do I have any other paperwork responsibilities (other than paying my taxes every year) that I should be aware of??

Thanks for all the help!!!

M.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They won't give you two SSNs by accident.

You don't have to apply for AOS. That is if you don't have a green card yet and came here on a visa or adjust status through visitor's status.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

You don't have to apply for AOS. That is if you don't have a green card yet and came here on a visa or adjust status through visitor's status.

Nice,

I've been wanting to start working, and two weeks in i'm already getting ants in my pants about not having the card.

So I can just go down to the office and see what my status is?

M.

Timeline

Nice,

I've been wanting to start working, and two weeks in i'm already getting ants in my pants about not having the card.

M.

Have you already gone to the office to apply for SSN? Because if you just ticked the box on your application that you want an SSN, you'll be waiting a long, long time :wacko: Most people check that box, I did and I never got my SSN automatically. You still need to actually go to the SSN office and apply in person!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Nice,

M.

Have you already gone to the office to apply for SSN? Because if you just ticked the box on your application that you want an SSN, you'll be waiting a long, long time :wacko: Most people check that box, I did and I never got my SSN automatically. You still need to actually go to the SSN office and apply in person!

Thanks!

Super good advice.

I took my passport down to the SSN office today right after reading your posts, and was processed pretty quickly.

She told me that they hadn't assigned me a number yet, so it was good that I came in.

I should have it in about a week!

Yeah!

M.

Timeline

Nice,

M.

Thanks!

Super good advice.

I took my passport down to the SSN office today right after reading your posts, and was processed pretty quickly.

She told me that they hadn't assigned me a number yet, so it was good that I came in.

I should have it in about a week!

Yeah!

M.

Good stuff! I got mine a week after as well!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.