DamselinNYC

Warning: Mega complicated question

48 posts in this topic

Can I personally suggest that we lock this thread? This is one of those threads where the good information and advice is mixed in with some mis-informed/confusing information that could possible convince the OP that she hasn't done anything wrong, and that she is a-ok to get this job she told us about.

I don't know what you guys think, but it will just go on forever as a battle between decent information, and totally misguided information.

Yep I agree with you too on this. Just because it's possible that the OP might not be found to have an overstay, if she lies about it and it's found out down the road that's a lifetime ban with no chance of a waiver. I think the OP knows that she's in the wrong and that's all there is to it. She can either continue on living in the States as a criminal or return and possibly try it the right way, bottom line really.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I never said she entered without inspection, I said she can't prove that she DID enter with inspection. The thing is with your friend even if he loses his Canadian passport, there's a paper trail somewhere within USCIS that gave him his student visa. Right? However, if he cannot prove that he entered the country legally, and ICE doesn't feel like looking up his claims that he is a dual national with a visa granted by USCIS, they can (have before to others, and will again) deport him back to his birth country, if the only ID he has on him is an Iranian passport. According to the law, they can hold you indefinitely, without legal counsel, and without having to notify anyone that they're holding you. And they can send you back from whereever it is they think you came from.

I also suggested she leave voluntarily. A couple of times IIRC. By land even, so as not to have to use her British passport to get on a plane and arouse suspicion on herself.

Read into it what you will, but the point is, the only citizenship she can currently prove to US authorities is British. And because she cannot prove that she entered the country legally and with inspection, it is very likely that she could/would be deported. To Britain.

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The information the OP requested has been given along with a lot of speculation and some misinformation. The OP hasn't come back to respond and we seem to be at the stage where we are just debating different positions of legal vs illegal. I am therefore closing this thread as it has pretty well run its course.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.