Sterling M

Getting I-765 Affidavits Notarized

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I've been searching up and down for a specific answer to my question, but can't seem to find it.

I've just taken a new job and will be moving to a new city in two weeks. I'm planning to fill out the change of address form alongside the I-751 for my wife; the two year anniversary hits in July. I assume that's a more sensible option than trying to fill out the forms up here, right?

What I'm trying to figure out, first and foremost, is how to get the affidavits. I know the criteria for getting family or friends, but I'm not sure about the notarization process. Do I need to have the person sign in the presence of the notary public? I just want to get two sworn letters notarized at, say, the UPS Store. Does anyone know if signed letters will be sufficient enough for the notary public to stamp?

Any help will be most kindly appreciated.

Edited by Sterling M

Married - Feb 9, 2007

Filed I-130, AOS, EAD together - Mar 31, 2007

USCIS Received - Apr 2, 2007

NOA(1) - Apr 9, 2007

ASC Appointment Notice - Apr 13, 2007

Biometrics Taken - Apr 27, 2007

AOS Interview Schedule Letter - April 30, 2007

Touched - May 24, 2007

EAD approved, card ordered - Jun 13, 2007

AOS Interview Jun 14, 2007 -- Case continued pending FBI background checks

EAD touched again (re-approved, dunno why) - Jun 18, 2007

EAD touched yet again (I hope this touch is to mail it!) - Jun 19, 2007

EAD received - Jun 22, 2007

AOS Approval Notice - Jul 9, 2007

AOS touched (I hope that means it's being set up to mail!) - Jul 10, 2007

Green Card received - Jul 20 2007

Filing Lifting of Conditions - Apr 2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I've been searching up and down for a specific answer to my question, but can't seem to find it.

I've just taken a new job and will be moving to a new city in two weeks. I'm planning to fill out the change of address form alongside the I-751 for my wife; the two year anniversary hits in July. I assume that's a more sensible option than trying to fill out the forms up here, right?

What I'm trying to figure out, first and foremost, is how to get the affidavits. I know the criteria for getting family or friends, but I'm not sure about the notarization process. Do I need to have the person sign in the presence of the notary public? I just want to get two sworn letters notarized at, say, the UPS Store. Does anyone know if signed letters will be sufficient enough for the notary public to stamp?

Any help will be most kindly appreciated.

My mom is a Notery and has been for years. The person that has or is signing the documents must be present in front of a Notery. So if you have 2 sworn letters already made out, that will be a problem as they have to sign in front of notery, not just compare the identifications like on a DL. The only other way you can get around that is by knowing a notery. My mom has done it for me a few times in the case of my best friend, thats it though she takes it very serious.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree with 'Sandra/Ahmed' the correct process is to sign the letter in front of the Notary however if the Notary is personally aquainted with you they might make an exception.

A simple way to do this is to go a bank where the person writing the affidavit has an account. The Notary on staff at the bank will notarize the letter for the person who wrote it. Note, it has to be their bank, not yours.

Hope that helps.

Blessed

----------

N400

-Package sent via usps 5-21-10

-NOA dated 5-21-09

-Check cashed 5-28-10

-Biometrics Appointment 7-9-10 completed

-Interview Date 8-23-10

-Oath Date 8-23-10

US Citizen!

----------

Remove conditions

- Package sent via usps 5-26-09

- Package received 5-28-09 (email notification)

- Check cashed 6-1-09

- NOA dated 5-29-09

- Biometrics Appointment 7-2-09 (no issues)

- Approval letter dated 10/1 received 10/5

- Card arrives 10/28/09

----------

AOS

- Filed May 07

- Approved August 6, 2007

- Received September 6, 2007

----------

K1

- Filed June 06

- Approved March 07

- Married

----------

Just a note that the USC also needs to file a change of address form (I-865 I think). Remember your wife's change of address has to be filed within 10 days (you, the USC has 30 days to do it, I think).

If I were you, I would prepare all the paperwork now with your new address. Change your wife's address online as soon as you get to your new address. Then, as soon as you can, mail the I-751 along with your change of address form and a copy of the confirmation that will be provided to you when you change your wife's address online.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.