jojo_gee

HELP - Arrived in the USA but nobody took my brown envelope

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Nich -

That might work, but that's not what Deferred Inspection is usually for:

http://www.borderimmigrationlawyer.com/deferred-inspection/

I see. I had read this on CBP and thought it sounded kinda helpful and since it said "immigration" and "remedy errors", I thought they might be a place to start asking for answers.

The Deferred Inspection Site staff is also available to review and issue the necessary documents to remedy errors recorded on arrival documents issued at the time of entry to the United States relating to improper non-immigrant classification, inaccurate biographical information or incorrect period of admission, if appropriate. Any designated deferred inspection location or CBP office located within an international airport should be able to assist you, regardless of where the actual document was issued.

Travelers are encouraged to contact sites not located within an international airport to establish an appointment, if necessary. In many instances, the location of your final destination where the discrepancy will be resolved may not be the port of your first arrival into the United States. Mail-in procedures are generally not available.

The Deferred Inspection Sites will only correct errors made at the time of entry. You must contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) if you wish to: replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated Arrival-Departure Record, CBP Form I-94, or Crewman's Landing Permit, CBP Form I-95; apply to extend your stay in the United States; or, change your immigration status. Specific information can be found on the USCIS Web site.

Good luck to you tomorrow in finding some answers.

Nich - right, I saw what you found and I'm not saying your advice was "wrong". I just wanted to share that "Deferred Inspection" is more than what it sounds like.

This is terrible that we have officers that don't know about immigration. How on earth do they get jobs in immigration and yet not know what they are doing.

I hope you get this sorted out quickly.....Good Luck

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

This is terrible that we have officers that don't know about immigration. How on earth do they get jobs in immigration and yet not know what they are doing.

I hope you get this sorted out quickly.....Good Luck

This is a particular pet peeve of mine as well.

I'm pretty forgiving of lots of individuals and idiosyncracies in this system called Department of Homeland Security. I don't expect the people on the I-800 line to be experts - they are call center reps and have only so much info available to them. I don't like it that clerks in the Service Centers lose documents which cause RFE's, but they have one heck of a work load.

But as a person gets 'higher up' in the 'responsibility' food chain of DHS, I sort of think they should be well-trained and well-versed in proper procedures. IMO this expectation begins with Service Center Adjudicators; District Office Adjudicators; Consular Officers (although they aren't DHS); and Border Patrol. It particularly peeves me with Border Patrol as they have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much legal power over an alien. Typically in cases before immigration judges, the word of CBP officers is unquestioned.

We had a hiccup on Wes' entry - no I94. I was most relieved that he was issued a duplicate by a Border Officer at an actual Port-of-Entry desk, rather than a deferred inspection. My readings since all this happened have only reinforced my opinion. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of CBP to open the brown envelope and inspect the contents - after all they actually have the power to turn the alien back around if there is something in the envelope that the Consular Officer has overlooked. And the I94 - well we all know how important that is for the entry to be properly documented. Every other step in the immigration process will hinge on the alien's original immigrant category.

I remember when I got to the US with my brown envelope....You probably remember I sailed on the QM2 and at immigration at the port they probably dont receive too many immigrants these days, when I went to the desk, the guy said to the girl on the next counter "Eh I have an Immigrant what do I do?" There were 3 of them that actually sorted it out, it all went very smoothly but I was shocked that he didnt know what to do!

Thank goodness its all over now for me and I don't have to worry about immigration anymore. Is Wes going to go for his citizenship?

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I remember when I got to the US with my brown envelope....You probably remember I sailed on the QM2 and at immigration at the port they probably dont receive too many immigrants these days, when I went to the desk, the guy said to the girl on the next counter "Eh I have an Immigrant what do I do?" There were 3 of them that actually sorted it out, it all went very smoothly but I was shocked that he didnt know what to do!

Thank goodness its all over now for me and I don't have to worry about immigration anymore. Is Wes going to go for his citizenship?

Well, we have to get through lifting of conditions first. It's at VSC right now - sent it late January.

I'm sure we will naturalize him at some point, but TBH we aren't in a particular rush. We've got expenses with my son in college right now. If the NATZ fee hadn't been TRIPLED with the last increase we'd probably be sending it in as soon as we could............although......

It's not out of the realm of reality at all that we may return to Northern Ireland. That also wouldn't happen till my son graduates, but it's something we talk seriously about. Apparently under some of the newer immigration policy in the UK, I (as the immigrant to the UK) would be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain the moment I was admitted (by virtue of being married to a UK citizen 4 years and BOTH of us living outside the UK that entire time). It actually seems it would be harder to immigrate Miss Martha Jones, our puggle, than it would be for me. At least I don't need a microchip.... :P

So if he naturalizes, he'll owe taxes to the US government his entire life. But he'd also be free to come and go between the two countries.

Decisions, decisions.

It actually seems it would be harder to immigrate Miss Martha Jones, our puggle, than it would be for me. At least I don't need a microchip.... :P

If you think you will go to NI at some point, I'd recommend getting the rabies titer done well in advance. You'll need to allow at least 8 months for the entire procedure to be carried out before you can take the dog with you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ship-a-Pet-to-the-UK

We have done this already with our 2 cats, in case we go back. Although this used to appear more imminent than it does these days, I understand that if you keep the rabies vaccinations up to date (and not let a day go by from when it is due) you will be good to get the pet passport thing when you are ready to leave.

90day.jpg

So if he naturalizes, he'll owe taxes to the US government his entire life. But he'd also be free to come and go between the two countries.

Really? I thought I remembered some part of the tax forms I was filling out having some box to tick about income earned outside the US or not residing in the US and having this feeling that it wouldn't be taxed. Needs to be reported, maybe, but not taxed...?

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Really? I thought I remembered some part of the tax forms I was filling out having some box to tick about income earned outside the US or not residing in the US and having this feeling that it wouldn't be taxed. Needs to be reported, maybe, but not taxed...?

the first $80k or so is exempt from federal income tax.

if the pound is strong (like it was about 18 months ago where it was worth $2.10) that's not necessarily a huge amount of money

90day.jpg

OK, filing that away to be thought about later. Why does *everything* with the government have to be so freaking complicated!!

Thanks! Sorry to further derail the topic. :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

It's not out of the realm of reality at all that we may return to Northern Ireland. That also wouldn't happen till my son graduates, but it's something we talk seriously about. Apparently under some of the newer immigration policy in the UK, I (as the immigrant to the UK) would be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain the moment I was admitted (by virtue of being married to a UK citizen 4 years and BOTH of us living outside the UK that entire time). It actually seems it would be harder to immigrate Miss Martha Jones, our puggle, than it would be for me. At least I don't need a microchip.... :P

Assuming your spouse is, or is entitled to be, an Irish citizen, you can apply for Irish or British citizenship after three years residence in Northern Ireland.

My fiancée and I have discussed the possibility of moving back to Northern Ireland after a fews years.

Edited by Marty J

10 Nov 08 - I-129F Sent

13 Nov 08 - I-129F NOA1

06 Feb 09 - I-129F NOA2

09 Feb 09 - NVC Received

11 Feb 09 - NVC Left

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Rec'd

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Sent

24 Mar 09 - Medical

30 Mar 09 - Packet 4 Rec'd

24 Apr 09 - Interview Date

03 Jun 09 - US entry

20 Jul 09 - AOS filed

12 Aug 09 - Biometrics

05 Oct 09 - Green Card rec'd

Where is jojo gee!!

I wanna know if they had any joy getting their problem resolved!

Me too, I hope they got it sorted out

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm here. So I called CBP at San Francisco and the helpful man agreed that the guy in Philadelphia has messed up and he gave me an address to go to in San Francisco. I ventured out alone today for the first time and got myself to the buliding. The people there looked pretty pissed off about my situation and having to fix it and they did with many grumbles and moans. They fixed my I-94 with an August date and said I should wait about 2 weeks to go into the system. I am pretty happy now that's fixed with less hassle than I thought. I also got myself to City Hall to find out about marriage licences which I didn't realise was $93 but hey ho, expense has simply become an expected part of the journey. On a more positive note, I got randomly stopped on the street and asked would I be a hair model for Vidal Sassoon as they were a model short for the day. I got myself a wicked new haircut and all for free. All in all, a good day out in San Francisco!

Thanks for all your help guys. XXX

Hey guys, I'm here. So I called CBP at San Francisco and the helpful man agreed that the guy in Philadelphia has messed up and he gave me an address to go to in San Francisco. I ventured out alone today for the first time and got myself to the buliding. The people there looked pretty pissed off about my situation and having to fix it and they did with many grumbles and moans. They fixed my I-94 with an August date and said I should wait about 2 weeks to go into the system. I am pretty happy now that's fixed with less hassle than I thought. I also got myself to City Hall to find out about marriage licences which I didn't realise was $93 but hey ho, expense has simply become an expected part of the journey. On a more positive note, I got randomly stopped on the street and asked would I be a hair model for Vidal Sassoon as they were a model short for the day. I got myself a wicked new haircut and all for free. All in all, a good day out in San Francisco!

Thanks for all your help guys. XXX

I presume they took your brown envelope also?

Redheads have more fun!

Glad to hear you got things sorted out with relative ease.

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.