Cassie

Ok, my very smart Canadian peeps!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so I was contacted by the daughter of a friend of my mom's (actually, I used to babysit her many moons ago) who is starting the immigration process through spousal visas.

it's the classic story:

US boy meets Canadian girl in the US

boy and girl fall in love

boy (who happens to be a lawyer) consults various immigration officials who tell him to tell girl something along the lines of "she can come to the US on a visitor's visa, wait three months, then apply for a spousal visa" (this is what she told me they said, not sure if that is exactly what they said, anywho)

boy and girl go and get married in Canada

boy and girl try to cross the border and she is turned back

boy and girl are now applying for the spousal visa!

So she has contacted me, knowing that I have experience with US immigration. Along with recommending this lovely site, I want to answer some of her questions as best as I can, and I haven't been on the site much (darn job!) so I am a bit out of touch with trends and timelines at the moment. Can you all help me?? :)

has K3 processing speeded up at all in the last 6 months? They are filling out the I-130 as we speak, and plan on doing the K3 as well. If there is no point in having both petitions going at once, I'd like to let them know. How long on average is the entire process taking at the moment? I do believe he's in Florida, so they would be going through VSC, yeah?

as far as the medical goes, is it still good for up to a year? how hard is it to get a medical in Montreal? can you get it done while in town for the interview, or does it have to be done and sent in before an interview date is set? She's in Nova Scotia, so it would mean possibly two trips to Montreal and they need to plan expenses.

Like I said, I will be directing them to VJ in my reply email, but I want to prep them a bit with some realistic timelines, so any help you can give, that would be fantastic!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

If we had of been a bit smarter I think our CR-1 would have been done in 8 - 9 months hope that helps.

Good luck to them,

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The word is that K3 are pretty much useless these days. IR1/CR1 is the recommended route for married folks, K1 for fiances. K3 should be seen as extinct other than in rare circumstances. pushbrk and others have commented on this in a number of threads recently. ... perhaps we can coax him to answer here. I would consider him to be the SME (subject matter expert) on this topic.

Filed: Other Timeline

K3s are pretty much a waste of time and paper these days, especially if she lives in the eastern part of Canada and would interview in Montreal anyhow. Even for potential Vancouver interviewees, I'd suggest CR1, simply because it's still only about a month slower, and costs $1010 less than the K3 and is a lot less headache. Which I'm sure they've already had enough of!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do the CR-1 and you can't do the medical unless you have your interview letter. Its pretty easy to get one, just when you know your interview date, get an appointment for that. I think they have results in 2 days at one place, and 3 days at the other. You turn the medical in at the interview. But of course they can change this again by the time she gets an interview, so you never really know. Hubby flew to Montreal for a day a week before his interview for his medical, and we picked up the results when we flew back a week later.

Edited by wowswift

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the input guys, I will let her know not to bother with the K3!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.