R&N

Denied entry into USA

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

I am looking for some insight. When i was about 16 years old(year 1993), i was denied entry into USA for not having proper documentation. I tried to cross the border with just the Landed Immigrant paper. I did not have a passport at that time nor was i a Canadian citizen. So my question is, would this impact my visa approval? As i plan on providing this information to the consulate when i fill out the form 156(question#31).

Also, i am collecting data for P3-i was wondering, what documents i send back to the consulate(Montreal). Is it just the DS-230 part 1 and the checklist or DS-230 part 1, checklist, 156 and 156K.

Any thought on these would be much appreciated

Filed: Timeline

My opinion that you are fine. You weren't denied because of anything serious. Just make sure you disclose this info each and every time you are asked. Never lie.

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Right, it won't have any baring on your visa as long as you don't lie if you are asked if you have ever been denied entry. A lot of people have had troubles crossing while their visa was being processed because of a lack of sufficient ties to Canada.

As for the P3, you just need to send back the DS 230 Part 1 and the checklist to the consulate. The DS 156 and DS 156K will be brought to the interview. Good luck! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the responses,

On the DS 156 form, Q31 asks; Have you have been refused a US Visa? Do I answer yes with an explanation or no as technically I wasn't refused a visa, I was refused admission to USA. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

On the DS 156 form, Q31 asks; Have you have been refused a US Visa? Do I answer yes with an explanation or no as technically I wasn't refused a visa, I was refused admission to USA. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

The answer, in my opinion is no.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks

The answer, in my opinion is no.

I would say no, as you were not denied a Visa. In your interview, they will likely ask you if you have ever been denied entry into the US and that is where you can explain and be truthful about what happened.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I was denied entry to the US on an initial trip to visit my husband (boyfriend at the time) because I didn't have a passport and they felt I couldn't prove I wasn't going to just run off into the US and never come back. The next time I went to visit with a passport, I was fine. On the form, there is a question that asks if you were ever refused entry into the US, and THAT is what you will have to say "yes" to. They do provide space for you to explain. All I said was "I was denied entry trying to visit my boyfriend because I did not have a passport at the time. I have since been able to visit with no problem".

Just make sure you are truthful and brief about the reason you were denied entry if it comes up at the interview. When I spoke about this during my interview, the interviewer just asked how many times I visited my fiance, and I said, "Twice. The first time I didn't have a passport so they wouldn't let me through; he came to visit me instead. The next time I went through was fine." Since you were denied entry, not a VISA, you do not have to say you were denied one.

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.