FormelyCA

Cell Phone Plans......is pay-as-you-go crappy???

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok so here is my thing.

ROLL OVER MINUTES and EXPIRING minutes. I want my minutes to last a year. Or, as I politely expalined to the person at Sprint, if my minutes expire every 1-3 months, and I have to put on a new $20-60 cvard every 1-3 months, is not not essentially having a plan of some sort???

I am anti-expired minutes.

Marilyn, I read the fine print, and I am a bit unclear. The only minutes that last long than 3 months is the 1,000 minute one for $200. Do you concur? I know ATT has a 1 year unexpired card for $100, so I am leaning towards that (watch me use up my $100 card in the first 3 months haha)

Trailmix, also I think the same applies to virginmobile but it looks a bit better. I saw this on their site:

MINUTE PACKS EXPIRE 30 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE. UNUSED MINUTE PACK MINUTES ROLL FORWARD (UP TO 5000) IF YOU TOP-UP AND CHOOSE A MINUTE PACK PRIOR TO THE 30TH DAY. ADDITIONAL MINUTES ARE 20¢ EACH. TOP-UP $20 EVERY 90 DAYS (EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BALANCE) TO KEEP YOUR SERVICE ACTIVE.

So, with this pay-as-you-go plan, is it correct that essentially, you could pay $20 every 3 months ($80 a year)?? That seems the best so far.

Thanks all for your input!

With Virgin - you must top up that minute pack before it expires every month.

That does technically make it a plan as such and you do have to remember to add that $20 every month before the 30 days are up (you can actually log in on their website and they tell you what date that is)

That is a tad annoying - but another way to look at it is - it's a $20 a month phone :)

Ok, I know I am sounding totally cheap :lol:, but I didn't even wanna spend $20 a month. The way I read the fine print for virgin mobile is that you have to add $20 every 90 days. Is this correct? I am cool with that as that means for the year, it would be $80, versus the other top runner (ATT) being $100 unexpired time for the year.

Thanks again for the help!

Bah!! you are not cheap!!

I totally agree with you on getting the best deal on a phone that you can - it's not cheap, it's frugal and if you aren't looking after your money then who is!

No, to actually use it, you have to add minutes every 30 days - you have to add minutes every 3 months to keep the phone active.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Pay-as-you-go isn't crappy at all. The level of service depends on the provider (which is exactly the same when having a service plan) and the overall expense might be lower if you rarely use your cell phone.

My wife and I have a 3-year family share plan with Telus. That worked out really good for me since I was able to get a Blackberry Pearl 8130 at no cost. However, my wife uses her phone so infrequently, she wishes she had gone with a pay-as-you-go phone instead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Pay-as-you-go isn't crappy at all. The level of service depends on the provider (which is exactly the same when having a service plan) and the overall expense might be lower if you rarely use your cell phone.

My wife and I have a 3-year family share plan with Telus. That worked out really good for me since I was able to get a Blackberry Pearl 8130 at no cost. However, my wife uses her phone so infrequently, she wishes she had gone with a pay-as-you-go phone instead.

OMG I hate Telus!! I had SO many problems with them in Canada I couldn't wait to end my contract! Every time I hear TELUS my blood pressure raises :angry:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

OMG I hate Telus!! I had SO many problems with them in Canada I couldn't wait to end my contract! Every time I hear TELUS my blood pressure raises :angry:

We've got Telus TV and Telus Internet, so my wife wanted to go with their cell phones as well. So far, Telus seems to be pretty good. No worse than Verizon. When our contract is up, maybe I'll consider Rogers.

Timeline

I had a pay as you go phone for a couple years and it caused me nothing but problems! Not all of them work the same, so my experience may not be typical, but It was terrible let me tell you...

First, the phone wouldn't roam, at all! So if I entered a zone that would be considered long distance the phone wouldn't work. This meant that whenever I went to the US to visit my fiance the phone wouldn't work at all! OR, if I went to Niagara Falls and stood anywhere remotely close to the Niagara River my phone wouldn't work! It thought I was in the US. So it was no good for traveling or driving long distances anyway (or driving 15 minutes in the case of Niagara Falls...)

Then, my money would mysteriously go missing! I'd have $20 on the account one day, then I'd make a 5 minutes phone call and then suddenly I'd have $8 left. I don't think a 5 minute local phone call costs $12! I never talked on it so when I did, it seemed like the would drain extra from my account and take advantage of me actually using the phone. I really don't know how that happened...

Then, you need to reload the phone every 30 days or the money you had on the phone expires. But they don't bother warning you! No way. You need to log it on your calendar and remember religiously to reload your phone every 30 days. I had $70 on my phone once, went to reload and they told me that my account had expired the day before! I lost $70! And the phone cards only came in intervals of $30 so it still cost $30 a month for all that hassle...

So with all that, I will never ever get a pay as you go phone again! :angry:

Timeline
First, the phone wouldn't roam, at all! So if I entered a zone that would be considered long distance the phone wouldn't work. This meant that whenever I went to the US to visit my fiance the phone wouldn't work at all! OR, if I went to Niagara Falls and stood anywhere remotely close to the Niagara River my phone wouldn't work! It thought I was in the US. So it was no good for traveling or driving long distances anyway (or driving 15 minutes in the case of Niagara Falls...)

A CDN pay as you go won't work in the US and a US pay as you go won't work in Canada..

but then again my hubbies Verizon contracted phone wouldn't work in Canada either.. so.. i think it has to do more with the lack of a north american digital long distance plan in that case.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Pay as you go sucks if you use it with any regularity. You are paying a significantly higher per minute usage fee, and they generally have secret fees buried within the fees you pay. But if it is "in case of emergencies" deal, then go for it, no sense in paying a monthly fee for something you're not going to use.

i agree

I read this and see that you are looking for safety and especially concerned with the times you are alone and driving.

ANY cell phone which has a charged battery (NO SERVICE COMPANY NEEDED) can call 911.

Of course, that doesn't help you if you are thinking you'd need to call your husband. Anyway, thought I would throw that tidbit out for consideration. I know a few people who only feel like they'd need it for actual emergencies.

So, time to get a cell phone ..ugh. :P

As much as I am trying to avoid getting one, I know it is the "safe" thing to do, and my husband won't let me drive the car alone if I don't get one. GRR. I am looking into getting a Pay-As-You-Go Go phone since I am NOT one to sit and talk on my phone, and won't even be giving the number out etc. I really just want a just-in-case-phone,. Anyone do this? Is it a ripoff? I will get the $100 card so it lasts a year, and the 200 texts a month for $4,99. I am looking into ATT.

What about phones?? Suggestions?? Why are there so many choices?? My friend's husband is pretty high up on RIM so when I left he gave my husband and I free blackberry's, but they are for Sprint network, which my husband has. BUT no pay-as-you-go with Sprint! I may ask her to send me the ATT one, but, don't wanna seem greedy :P

Anyway, thoughts on good cell phone ideas for a user who doesn't want a monthly plan/bill??

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

I have it set up where it automatically adds minutes every month...

the cheapest easy minute plan with Net10 is 150 minutes for 15 dollars..so I don't have to bother with remembering to add minutes...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I have a Tracfone. I paid $10.00 for the phone at KMart, and for $100.00 I got 600 minutes that expire a year from now. This is my second year. My unused minutes carried over. I keep it for travelling and if I run into an emergency situation. I don't text, however I have that capability. I actually hate cell phones, and their use...and no one but Gene has the number. No contracts, no extra fees or charges...nothing could be simpler for when I need it, without strings.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

I bought a cheap $10 Track phone when I arrived here 8 months ago....all I use it for is calling England, it is still going strong :lol:

Filed: Timeline

Yeah Huggles, THAT was my worry with PAYG!!!!! I heard many horror stories. BUT, the more I thought about it, it didn't make sense for me to get a plan. Seriously, WHO am I calling here?? My only friend lives with me ;) So, I don't need 450 minutes when I presume I'll use about 14 a month. Maybe once I get out meeting people and making BFFs I will upgrade. For now, I will try PAYG.

I went with net10. Thanks Marilyn! I got the Lg600 or whatever with 300 minutes and 60 days of service for $38!!! I found a $3 promo code coupon online :lol: and it was free shipping. I am planning to do the $15 month plan with 150 mins. See if I can add texts on as well. Woohoo!!!! Thanks all for input, really helped!!

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Timeline
Yeah Huggles, THAT was my worry with PAYG!!!!! I heard many horror stories. BUT, the more I thought about it, it didn't make sense for me to get a plan. Seriously, WHO am I calling here?? My only friend lives with me ;) So, I don't need 450 minutes when I presume I'll use about 14 a month. Maybe once I get out meeting people and making BFFs I will upgrade. For now, I will try PAYG.

I went with net10. Thanks Marilyn! I got the Lg600 or whatever with 300 minutes and 60 days of service for $38!!! I found a $3 promo code coupon online :lol: and it was free shipping. I am planning to do the $15 month plan with 150 mins. See if I can add texts on as well. Woohoo!!!! Thanks all for input, really helped!!

texts are included.... they cost about 5 cents a text...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.