m&k

"They gave your financee an A number"

7 posts in this topic

So I have this habit of calling uscis. Why not? Our case doesn't exist online, so that means no updates, no emails, no "touches" and etc. Today I called for an update, and as usual the officer regurgitates the usual questions (as if it's the first time I've ever heard these), and finally they ask for the receipt number and say that they can't find it in their system, as usual. So they have to transfer me to someone else in customer service.

So the second person gets my receipt number, verifies my address, says everything is ok, case is pending. But I can't see it on line! Oh, don't worry, that system is overloaded and a lot of cases don't make it to the on line system. So finally I appeal to them: Do you have ANY information? That I would normally see on the on line system? So the officer says, "Well, your financee has been assigned an A number, which is a good sign."

Does that mean anything? or does every petition get this mysterious "A number" and the office was just reading the part of the script which advises what to say to the caller when he is nuts from the uncertainty of not knowing anything and to give him some hope so that he will wait another week before he calls back?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
So I have this habit of calling uscis. Why not? Our case doesn't exist online, so that means no updates, no emails, no "touches" and etc. Today I called for an update, and as usual the officer regurgitates the usual questions (as if it's the first time I've ever heard these), and finally they ask for the receipt number and say that they can't find it in their system, as usual. So they have to transfer me to someone else in customer service.

So the second person gets my receipt number, verifies my address, says everything is ok, case is pending. But I can't see it on line! Oh, don't worry, that system is overloaded and a lot of cases don't make it to the on line system. So finally I appeal to them: Do you have ANY information? That I would normally see on the on line system? So the officer says, "Well, your financee has been assigned an A number, which is a good sign."

Does that mean anything? or does every petition get this mysterious "A number" and the office was just reading the part of the script which advises what to say to the caller when he is nuts from the uncertainty of not knowing anything and to give him some hope so that he will wait another week before he calls back?

doesnt the a number come after it goes to nvc? i really dont know im just guessing

sara

We received his A number on the approval letter. It's located above his name. Not sure when it's actually assigned, but it's assigned at the USCIS before going to the NVC.

Our K-1 Timeline

01/12/08: Attorney mailed petition to CSC

01/22/08: NOA1

05/27/08: NOA2

06/03/08: NVC received

06/04/08: NVC forwarded to Rio de Janeiro consulate

06/09/08: Consulate received

06/23/08: Packet 3 sent

08/19/08: Interview!! (Approved!!)

08/27/08: Visa in hand

09/12/08: POE (Washington DC)

09/25/08: Applied for Social Security card

10/06/08: Social Security card received

11/12/08: Marriage!!

AOS Timeline

03/21/09: Mailed AOS docs to Chicago

03/23/09: AOS packet received in Chicago

03/31/09: NOA1

04/03/09: NOA1 Received (His Birthday!!)

04/17/09: Received notice that our case was transferred to CSC on 4/13/09

04/17/09: My case has been entered into the USCIS system!!

04/23/09: Biometrics appointment

05/11/09: AP approved

05/12/09: Case arrived at CSC for further processing

05/13/09: EAD approved

05/13/09: AOS Touched

05/14/09: AP received

05/15/09: EAD card received

06/25/09: Card production ordered

07/06/09: Approval notice sent

07/06/09: Card Received!!!

Removal of Conditions

03/23/11: Will mail I-751

Citizenship

03/23/12: Will mail N-400

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We got Nick's A number a month ago and still haven't gotten an approval of the petition. I believe (but could be wrong) the A number is assigned when your case has been assigned to an officer to review your petition, but no telling how long it takes the officer to actually look at the case. Mine hasn't been touched since December 2nd....

We got Nick's A number a month ago and still haven't gotten an approval of the petition. I believe (but could be wrong) the A number is assigned when your case has been assigned to an officer to review your petition, but no telling how long it takes the officer to actually look at the case. Mine hasn't been touched since December 2nd....

Interesting, how did you get this A number if you haven't gotten the noa-2? I'm intrigued:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interesting, how did you get this A number if you haven't gotten the noa-2? I'm intrigued:)

I got it from a Senator request. It hasn't proved to mean much though... I was excited when I got it, but now after waiting a month... excitement has worn off :(

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Last year I thought the same thing when told my case was assigned an A number. I dont mean to burst your bubble but I found out all the cases are assigned an A number once the case is data entered into the system. It's part of the processing steps.

Keep the faith though! Things will begin to move quickly.

I130

September 6, 2007-Sent I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

February 24, 2008-Touched

April 14 & 15-Touched-RFE trick

May 23, 2008-Aproved!!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday)

May 31st-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

February 24TH, 2008-Touched

April, 14TH & 15TH-RFE trick

May 22, May 23rd -Touch, Touch

May 23-Approved!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday!)

May 31ST-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

NVC

May 29TH, 2008-129F received at the NVC-YES!

May 30TH, 2008-130 received at the NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

Interview-PASSED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES-10 MINUTE INTERVIEW

SEPT 20TH-Arrived in NYC then to Charlotte-YEAH!!!

AOS

February 4TH-mailed I485 & I765

Feb 8TH, NOA 1 for both-Received Feb 5TH

March 4TH Biometrics done

March 19TH RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER-INTERVIEW DATE April 30TH at 9:30

April 13TH RECEIVED EAD... FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

APRIL 14TH-GOING TO SS OFFICE TO ORDER SSCARD

April 19TH-SS card received

April 20TH-Lerners Permit obtained

April 30TH- AOS Passed-10 minute meeting, wouldn't call it an interview, very, very simple.

May 18TH=GREEN CARD RECEIVED

NEVER ABLE TO VIEW CASE ONLINE-SAME INVALID# MESSAGE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.