j25

I-751: To include Marriage certificate, Passports, DL or not?!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We are assembling documents for I-751 following the list in I-751 instruction. However, these documents are not listed, but we see that many are sending them too.

- copies of passports

- copies of marriage certificate

- copies of marriage license

- copies of driver's license

Do we need to send them as well?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Copies of passports show traveling together.

Copy of marriage cert just shows still married, marriage license is only a permit to marry, and does not show being married, some states the marriage license is also marriage cert, depends on state.

Copy of DL is just evidence of living together (both DL's need to show same address)

I-751 needs evidence of living together, bonafide marital relationship.

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=47220

Profile details please: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...rCP&CODE=01

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

We sent copies of our drivers licenses because they showed our shared address.

With each bit of optional evidence you send, ask yourself, "what am I trying to prove?" Or equivalently, "How does this evidence help the investigator separate us from a fraudulent couple who just got married for papers?"

If you can't come up with a good answer, then leave it out. If you can think of documents that DO show that your marriage was bona fide, then include them even if they're not on most people's list of documents that were included.

On your cover sheet, you may want to continue on this theme. Don't just say what you're including, but also briefly describe WHY you're including it. E.g.

• Drivers licenses, showing our shared address
  • One months' cell phone bill, showing a shared family plan, with calls to each other highlighted
  • Life insurance policies, showing each other listed as beneficiaries
  • Boarding passes showing that we sat next to each other on our vacation to Florida
  • Title of our car, showing both our names as joint owners

You get the idea.

I don't know what a marriage certificate or license would prove, other than the fact that you got married, but they already know that, and the fraudulent couples also got married and can show a marriage certificate. Besides, they've already seen your marriage certificate.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

On your cover sheet, you may want to continue on this theme. Don't just say what you're including, but also briefly describe WHY you're including it. E.g.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Edited by j25

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't a BABY the big trump card?

This is a mistaken idea. A child is NOT proof of a bona fide relationship. It is only -pardon the crude words- proof of successful intercourse amongst 2 people. So no, it is not a trump card at all.

This is a mistaken idea. A child is NOT proof of a bona fide relationship. It is only -pardon the crude words- proof of successful intercourse amongst 2 people. So no, it is not a trump card at all.

Well, yes and no. It's certainly not absolute proof. In fact, chances are good that a couple doesn't have absolute documentary proof that the child even belongs to the purported father. But what's required for the I-751 isn't absolute proof, it's just proof "via a preponderance of the evidence" that the marriage was not solely for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. That "preponderance of the evidence" thing is a legal phrase that just means that, when a reasonable person looks at all the total pile of evidence on the record, the reasonable person should say it seems a bit more likely than not that what you're trying to prove is true.

The mere existence of a baby may not be convincing in and of itself, but if you combine the baby's existence with evidence that the two of you are raising the baby together and sharing the parental responsibilities, then it starts to look at least more likely than not that there was some reason the couple got together besides just immigration paperwork. Photos of the family together; both names appearing on the birth certificate; a joint health insurance plan covering mom, dad, and baby; joint tax returns showing baby as a deduction; these kinds of things may supplant the birth certificate to help show that the family really is a family.

We so rarely hear of couples being denied on their I-751s, its hard to know just exactly where they'd draw the line about how slim you could make the evidence pile. And I wouldn't want to push it. But if you've got a birth certificate, I suspect you'd have to have a pretty slim or strange evidence pile in order for the officer to suspect fraud. So don't be too complacent, but submit what you have and don't worry much.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Out of the 4 items you listed we only submitted our DLs to show common residence.

If your passports contain stamps from trips you've taken together go ahead and submit copies of your passports as well(maybe along with the corresponding boarding passes or pictures).

There's no reason to resubmit your marriage certificate as they already have it on file.

Good luck!

AOS from F1 visa

05/02/2007 AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox Day 1

05/25/2007 Biometrics appointment Day 24

07/26/2007 Interview Day 86 Approved

08/06/2007 Green card received Day 97

Removal of Conditions

04/28/2009 I-751 delivered to CSC Day 1

06/27/2009 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 60

07/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 83

07/22/2009 Received card production email Day 85

07/27/2009 Received green card & approval notice Day 90

Beibehaltungsgenehmigung (BBG)

08/03/2009 Submitted application to German consulate in L.A.

11/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 109

US Citizenship

04/27/2010 Submitted N400

04/28/2010 N400 delivered Day 1

05/10/2010 Check cashed Day 12

05/13/2010 Received NOA (NOA was issued on 05/10) Day 15

05/20/2010 Received Biometrics notice Day 22

06/11/2010 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 44

06/22/2010 Online Status changed to Testing & Interview Day 55

06/23/2010 Received interview notice in the mail Day 56

07/26/2010 Interview Day 89 Approved

08/24/2010 Oath Ceremony Day 118

My card making blog: http://silkeshimazu.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.