sqtb

When is K-3 canceled in favor of CR-1?

27 posts in this topic

As I understand, both NVC and the Embassy will normally cancel the K-3 if the CR-1 is approved.

I would like to know when exactly that happens. In my case, NVC has already sent the K-3 file to the Embassy and the K-3 interview has been scheduled for July 10. The only thing remaining at the NVC is the DS-230. So I am wondering if I should send the DS-230 now, or if I should wait until after July 10.

If I send it now, and NVC does Case Complete before July 10, will they tell the Embassy to cancel the K-3? Or will they simply forward the CR-1 file to the Embassy and if the Embassy gets it before July 10 then the Embassy will cancel the K-3?

Basically, I don't want the K-3 to get canceled!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am interested in learning more about this cancellation process too. CSC approved my I-130 but made an error in approving it and assumed my wife is already in the US, which she is not. CSC requested that I fill out the I-824 and pay another $200 to correct their mistake, which I did. I do not want NVC cancelling the K-3 since it might take several additional months for the I-824 to be processed by CSC and my I-130 package to be sent to NVC. Does anyone know how NVC would know an I-130 was approved if it never got to NVC?

As I understand, both NVC and the Embassy will normally cancel the K-3 if the CR-1 is approved.

I would like to know when exactly that happens. In my case, NVC has already sent the K-3 file to the Embassy and the K-3 interview has been scheduled for July 10. The only thing remaining at the NVC is the DS-230. So I am wondering if I should send the DS-230 now, or if I should wait until after July 10.

If I send it now, and NVC does Case Complete before July 10, will they tell the Embassy to cancel the K-3? Or will they simply forward the CR-1 file to the Embassy and if the Embassy gets it before July 10 then the Embassy will cancel the K-3?

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Why would you not want the K-3 to get cancelled when you only have the DS-230 left to go at NVC. Im interested in your thinking on this considering that the CR-1 would mean no adjustment of status and is the green card. Why would you be worried and not want the K-3 cancelled if the NVC completed your case and forwarded the I-130 etc to the consulate prior to the K-3 interview and thus it was cancelled. Very curious.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Uh.... Why?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I hope I have a problem like this!!!! GEEEE....which Visa should we take todayyy????? hahaha

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

Our History

08/01/05 - The first day of our New Relationship!

10/27/05 - Six days in Barranquilla with my Novia.

01/27/06 - A week-long vacation in Cartagena with my Novia.

03/30/06 - Five days in Barranquilla, got Engaged!

05/20/06 - Vacation and Civil Wedding in Barranquilla... Newlyweds!!!!

08/02/06 - Upcoming week in Barranquilla with my Love!

CR-1 Process (I-130)

05/30/06 - I-130 sent to USCIS Texas Service Center

06/02/06 - I-130 received by USCIS Texas Service Center

06/22/06 - NOA1 notice date

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Check was cashed, Touched

06/27/06 - Touched

K3 Process (I-129F Spouse)

06/26/06 - I-129F sent to USCIS Chicago

06/27/06 - I-129F received by USCIS Chicago

07/??/06 - Uhhh...where is that darn NOA1?

I hope I have a problem like this!!!! GEEEE....which Visa should we take todayyy????? hahaha

:P yea no kidding. which one should we go for :huh:. Well I am also curious why you are worried about the K3 when you just have the ds230 left for the IMMIGRATION visa. A few weeks more or less dont really count, or am I mistaken? :blink: Well at least my opinion.

greets Isabel :thumbs:

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can go ahead and send in the DS-230 for the Cr1 visa and go to the K3 apointment as well. Just sending in the DS-230 will not cancell out your K3 apointment. I understand why you may not want your K3 to be cancelled, since it is hard to tell when a Cr1 apointment may be, but it may be worth it when you consider how long the AOS is taking these days in the states.

For my husband the Cr1 was quicker and both apointments were eventually scheduled, but we abandoned the K3.

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Whee...seems like a lot of people are wondering why I don't want the K-3 canceled.

Well, the deal is that we already made travel plans, and planned several other things around the K-3. If the CR-1 goes to the Embassy, they will cancel the K-3 and then who knows how long the Embassy will take to schedule the CR-1 interview (the K-3 interview was scheduled 2 months after the Embassy received the K-3 file from NVC). So at this point, we do not want to wait another 3 months for the CR-1.

We would rather get the K-3 and then have my wife fly back for the CR-1 interview whenever that is. That way, we will also avoid the AOS #######.

So now...my question again: When does the K-3 get canceled? :-)

Thanks!

Why would you not want the K-3 to get cancelled when you only have the DS-230 left to go at NVC. Im interested in your thinking on this considering that the CR-1 would mean no adjustment of status and is the green card. Why would you be worried and not want the K-3 cancelled if the NVC completed your case and forwarded the I-130 etc to the consulate prior to the K-3 interview and thus it was cancelled. Very curious.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK, that makes sense :)

A lot of people don't plan as well as you do!

The K-3 is cancelled when the IV file gets to the Consulate. That won't happen before you are "case complete" at the NVC.

Happy travels!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Here is the way I understand how this works--as this is how it worked in my case. I went the K3 route. My I-130 was approved at the TSC in like 1 month. Then the I-130 sat at the NVC for 4 months. The day that my I-130 was forwarded to the Embassy--is the same day that CSC approved my I-129F.

The I-130 arrived at the Embassy and within a week the I-129F arrived also. The Embassy called my wife and told her that there were two visas available. The consular stated that the K-3 is an inferior visa and will not be processed. And was that okay? My wife said yes.

On the day of the interview at the Embassy we were called to the non-immigrant window--the consular showed us both folders: I-130 and I-129F. She restated that the K-3 (I-129F) is an inferior visa and that it would not be processed and was that okay? We said sure. She then walked the I-130 over to the immigrant visa window, and later we were called and the second consular stated yet again that we had two visa available and that the I-129F is an inferior visa--and that the CR-1 was being processed.

The NVC didn't make a decision on cancelling the visa--the Embassy consular made the decision.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Filed: Timeline

sqtb,

The K3 application process will be cancelled, as meauxna writes, when the consulate realizes that there is an approved I-130 petition and cancels it.

Having made those travel plans, I hope there are no issues with the K3 visa application. Strange things can happen. In my wife's case, there was a delay in approving her and her son's K visas because the Panel Physician had neglected to answer the 2 questions about pregnancy on the boy's physical exam form. It took 1 day to correct the problem, but due to unusual circumstances 2 more weeks for the consulate to issue the visas. We'd allowed for 5 days of delay in making our travel plans. It wasn't enough.

Yodrak

Whee...seems like a lot of people are wondering why I don't want the K-3 canceled.

Well, the deal is that we already made travel plans, and planned several other things around the K-3. If the CR-1 goes to the Embassy, they will cancel the K-3 and then who knows how long the Embassy will take to schedule the CR-1 interview (the K-3 interview was scheduled 2 months after the Embassy received the K-3 file from NVC). So at this point, we do not want to wait another 3 months for the CR-1.

We would rather get the K-3 and then have my wife fly back for the CR-1 interview whenever that is. That way, we will also avoid the AOS #######.

So now...my question again: When does the K-3 get canceled? :-)

Thanks!

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Timeline

The k3 is not necessarily cancelled in the way that maybe most are thinking...

If the CR1 gets to post, then the two cases are combined, and the CR1 becomes the default [visa issuing] case, unless they are told otherwise. Meaning, after they are combined, if one asked at the interview to be issued the K3 instead, the consulate can do that...

Edited by zixuandavid

hmm. But then they will re-schedule the K-3 appointment, correct? Because they will send the Packets for the CR-1, and whatever else is involved.

If the CR1 gets to post, then the two cases are combined, and the CR1 becomes the default [visa issuing] case, unless they are told otherwise. Meaning, after they are combined, if one asked at the interview to be issued the K3 instead, the consulate can do that...

I would be interested to know where you seen this information or how you came to this conclusion.

The K-3 visa is only for the purpose to be able to enter the US to await the approval of an I-130 and to persue the immigrant process once one has entered the US. If an approved I-130 reaches the consulate post prior to a K-3 interview it completely overrides the approved I-129F and the applicant will be processed for the CR-1 immigrant visa. If you do a search on the various US Consulate sites you will also note this stated.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.