roman1982

K1 Passport Validity

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Hoping someone can help us with this. We are just putting in our i-129 and have a question about the validity on the US passport. The passport expires in 2013, but was issued in 2004. We need to supply a passport with 5 years validity on it. Is this from the issuance date in 2004, or from now? Can anyone help? First step I guess, so any help would be great. Thanks!

it's 2009.

your passport expires 2013.

so you have 4 years validity.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Yes, the requirement on the USCIS site says "In place of any of the above, you may give USCIS a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least five years", so we were reading this as it was a passport that was originally issued with more than 5 years validity on it. Is this wrong? Does anyone know for definite? Thanks.

it's 2009.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

Yes, the requirement on the USCIS site says "In place of any of the above, you may give USCIS a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least five years", so we were reading this as it was a passport that was originally issued with more than 5 years validity on it. Is this wrong? Does anyone know for definite? Thanks.

it's 2009.

That is IF you use the passport as a means of establishing citizenship. There will be no visa affixed to the US passport. If you have a copy of youre birth certificate it is no problem. Send the copy of the BC

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

it's 2009.

Yes, you have interpreted it literally and correctly. Adult US passports are issued with a validity of 10 years. How much validity is remaining has nothing to do with the requirement. Keywords are "issued with".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline
Hi,

it's 2009.

From what you said, your passport has been issued in 2004 with validity period of 9 years (strange, normally it is 10 years) and it expires in 2013.

Therefore, it can be used as a proof of US citizenship (the original validity period is more than 5 years).

Hi,

it's 2009.

Yes, you have interpreted it literally and correctly. Adult US passports are issued with a validity of 10 years. How much validity is remaining has nothing to do with the requirement. Keywords are "issued with".

Ok, Thanks for the correction.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.