gabyjose

FBI clearance timeline

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

We're posting this a little desperate after we have been told and found from different sources, that the whole process in the Baltimore area to become a citizen was taking about 4 months. Well. it's been 5 and no letter for oath ceremony. My fiance had an interview (that he requested) and found out that it's the FBI clearance what's taking so long. The main issue is that I'm here under a visa waiver program that only allows me to stay in the US for 6 months and we had planned to get married a while ago so I could file my immigration papers.

Anyone with advice or similar situation?? basically we want to know what to expect time wise.

Thank you for any ideas.

It can take up to several years on the FBI name check. It took 3 1/2 years for my wife, and was only resolved when we forced it with a suit in federal court. Others have waited longer. This is a huge problem affecting thousands of people.

Here's a separate discussion group focused specifically on the topic:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/namechecktracker/

I personally was in Capitol Hill talking about this issue last Wednesday. We have interest in changing the law, and we are very excited about this prospect. However, our group has gotten this success only with extreme sacrifices from a small group of individuals, and only with the paid advice and support of a former Congressman who is lobbying on our behalf.

We cannot continue without the involvement and commitment of a larger group of people who are willing to contribute their time, and more importantly, money.

http://www.americanfamiliesunited.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If it is the VWP then its 90 days not 6 months, but you mention Canada and that would be 6 months.

Read this:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffair...hecks_42506.pdf

There is nothing you realistically can do within your time frame.

What is his nationality?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks y'all for your input.

For the one who asked, my fiance is originally from Venezuela.

I have been reading on different forums about this FBI topic and have found some horror stories. However, I found this guy who really took action to get things moving and he wrote this page with lots of good resources where he contacted the FBI directly and his congressman. Here is the link in case someone is interested

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

In the meantime, I think my fiance and I will get married as thing are, file my I-130 (with the purpose of justyfing my stay in the US) even if we know that process can take forever, and once my fiance gets his citizenship, change the status on my application and file for the EAD and I-485.

Thanks again.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
In the meantime, I think my fiance and I will get married as thing are, file my I-130 (with the purpose of justyfing my stay in the US) even if we know that process can take forever, and once my fiance gets his citizenship, change the status on my application and file for the EAD and I-485.

Thanks again.

I know you are in an awkward situation, but it looks like you misunderstand one thinig.. the I-130 being filed for you does not give you legal status in the US or make it OK to overstay your visitor admission. I'm not clear on what you meant by 'justyfing' your stay in the US.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thanks again.

I know you are in an awkward situation, but it looks like you misunderstand one thinig.. the I-130 being filed for you does not give you legal status in the US or make it OK to overstay your visitor admission. I'm not clear on what you meant by 'justyfing' your stay in the US.

Thanks again.

Well I know that filing I-130 won't give me any status or allow me to work, but my other choice would be to leave the country and risking my re-entry. I know about the fiance visa option but a lawyer told us that there's an incredible delays with that process since they are trying to pass a new law regarding international fiance's. The lawyer also told us that most of his clients are past their stay in the US and that USCIS doesn't care as long as is not a matter of years.

Any suggestions for my problem??

Timeline

Sorry, no. Sounds like you are getting good advice though.

Fingers crossed for a speedy conclusion to the naturalization!

PS: be sure to check with the lawyer about you leaving the US before you get a Green Card. There are some dates that you should be aware of with your current plan.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

Sorry, no. Sounds like you are getting good advice though.

Fingers crossed for a speedy conclusion to the naturalization!

PS: be sure to check with the lawyer about you leaving the US before you get a Green Card. There are some dates that you should be aware of with your current plan.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.