chibihorsewoman

Marriage based immigration- how do I get started?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My not quite fiance (no ring, no date set until after he graduates from college- but we've both informally proposed to one another on numorous occasions) is a Canadian citizen and I'm an American. I'm curious as to how long I should wait to get the forms. He graduates in 2011 and has been told by a friend of his mother's whose relationship in the states didn't work out that we'd have to be married in six months. But neither of us have any idea where to start or how early to start.

Should I go get my paperwork started now even though he won't be moving here for another year? Or should I wait until the beginning of 2010? Questions questions.

Vie es belle. Et elle commence demain

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My not quite fiance (no ring, no date set until after he graduates from college- but we've both informally proposed to one another on numorous occasions) is a Canadian citizen and I'm an American. I'm curious as to how long I should wait to get the forms. He graduates in 2011 and has been told by a friend of his mother's whose relationship in the states didn't work out that we'd have to be married in six months. But neither of us have any idea where to start or how early to start.

Should I go get my paperwork started now even though he won't be moving here for another year? Or should I wait until the beginning of 2010? Questions questions.

The whole process usually takes 6-7 months, so take that into account. Whenever both of you are ready to live together and go through the PAINFUL and LONG K-1 Fiance Visa Process, then that's when you should start (don't mean to lecture!). Good luck on your journey!

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think what your fiance's mother's friend was referring to was when you apply for a K-1 fiancee visa and arrive in the States you are required to get married within 90 days as part of the conditions of the visa. The K-1 visa (Fiancee) is one option to take a look at when you are ready. For this visa, the US partner starts the process by petitioning the government (form I-129f) for permission for the non-USA partner to apply for a fiancee visa. When the petition is approved, the file is transferred to the foreign partners country and they then receive information from the US Consulate in their country in charge of fiancee visas. (in Canada, this is either Vancouver or Montreal depending on where in the country your fiance lives). Your partner will gather necessary documents, have a medical, get police records, etc. and attend an interview. The visa is approved or denied based on the interview. That whole process from start to finish can take between 6/7 months to a year. You then have 6 months time in which to use the visa and once you use the visa 90 days in which to get married. One of the things you will also need to do is prove to the Government that you are financially able to support a spouse. It is probably a good idea to wait to file until you are about 8 or 9 months from when you want your fiance to move to the States. That way if the visa goes quickly, he will still have a few months leeway before he needs to use it, and if it goes slowly he won't have to wait too long before he receives it. You might want to take the time now to familiarize yourself with the process by reading the guides, taking a look at the different forms and getting an idea of what the two of you will need to complete the process. Good luck to you both.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

If you want to get married here in the USA using a K-1 visa in 1 year, start the process now.

It currently takes, on average, 6+ (some cases have taken much longer) months for a fiance visa to be issued and once the visa is issued you will have 6 months to use it. You must get married within 90 days of your fiance(e) arriving using the K-1 visa. See the Guides and Immigration Timelines for more info. This can be an expensive option, so be sure you understand the costs. You may want to research alternate options as well... see the Guides and other sections of this forum for more info.

Oh, and welcome fellow New Yorker :) :)

dvc

Edited by iLoveAPolishGirl

0910262302151d80_6881__t.jpg

05/03/2008 -- first email

11/01/2008 -- first skype messages

01/14/2009 -- she flies to USA, stuck overnight in Frankfurt

01/15/2009 -- she arrives in USA

01/16/2009 -- proposed! she says YES!!! :)

02/14/2009 -- 6 days of bliss in Walt Disney World (6mo given on I94)

02/23/2009 -- sent I129F Next Day Air

02/25/2009 -- NOA1

03/01/2009 -- Touched

04/09/2009 -- She flies to USA for 9 day visit (6mo given on I94)

06/20/2009 -- She arrives for summer visit (6mo given on I94, warned about too frequent visits)

06/30/2009 -- NOA2

Note: petition processed thru NVC and sent to embassy in about 1 week :o

Note: got an initial interview date in Sept, but decided to put it off so she could extend her vacation here thru end of October

10/21/2009 -- She returns to Poland :(

12/01/2009 -- Embassy interview -- SUCCESS!! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:guides:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

First and foremost thanks to all of you for your help. My fiance lives in British Columbia (which makes this really difficult, if it were Ontario or even Quebec I could handle separation better.) so he would have to get in contact with someone in Vancouver.

I'm trying to read the guides but at the moment they're very confusing to me since I'm still new to this. So any information given is very appreciated.

The biggest setback I have at the moment is that we're looking into moving to Washington because he's planning on doing video game design. I work as a CNA so it's easy for me to relocate. Oh yeah and we don't know the exact graduation date in 2011.

Again thank you.

Vie es belle. Et elle commence demain

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.