Bryan+Nelia 4life

Green Card to Permanant?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Ok now im getting really nervous, Im just now getting a divorce because there was no really good reason to do it before. My wife and myself dont have any children or assets so it is a simple divorce which I will file on my own. (ok so I been lazy). Do you guys think this will cause my wife to not be able to come here? I am a US citizen and it is our right to marry whomever we see fit correct? Should I go another route then K1? I just cant imagine my life without her now that I know her. I made a mistake with my first wife, but I hope this dosent cause to much trouble, what do you guys suggest?

Trust me, my friend applied for the K-1 "IMMEDIATELY" after divorce and he even traveled to the RP to see his future fiancee while he was still married to the first one. She had no problems at the interview and he had no issues with the K-1 application/paperwork prior to her interview.

My friend just went through all of this, it was not years ago, but just recently.

Relax!!!!

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline
I would have thought that if you have already brought a woman from the Phillipines to be your wife, then you would be a bit more savvy on what is what with permanent residency/citizenship!!

I suggest you do some homework!!

She was a Chinese woman and she had already lived in USA on a work visa, and we had lawyers do most of the work like 4 years ago.. So trying to remember everything is kinda hard.

Ok well thanks for the answers all. I hope this wont be too much of an issue with them I do relize I married a foriegner before but it did last 3 years and im just now getting a divorce after the 4th. Any advice on extra steps I should take while trying to apply for my K1? I love this girl so much I cant stand being away from her, although we talk all day and night...

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I personally know someone that got a divorce after 3 years of marriage and after marrying a Brazilian who was already in the country then immediately applying for the K-1 for someone else. The second woman is here and she has already been approved for 2 year green card.

Really, you have more to worry about if your income can't support the TWO of them. You know, you are liable for the first one for 10 years or until she is a citizen.

One thing though, my friend who married the Brazilian did go to the RP a lot during the K-1 process to bolster his case.

Ok I have a descent job I guess, it's not "full time" but I do work close to 32 hours a week (I was full time but had to leave company for 6months for medical and its really tuff to get back full time status, altough I have been with company 3+ years) and last tax return was around 30k but I also have yikes unreported income from tips... I know that 125% above poverty is around 21k for you and wife, but what is it for a 2nd wife?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can also move to her country and get the hell out of here, that thought crosses my mind frequently the way this country is going.

"Red flag #1 Applying for K-1 right after first divorce.

You will also have to include your first wife on the new affidavit of support for this new petition. (until she becomes an USC, did 40 qtrs of work, or leaves the country and abandons her status as a LPR)"

Ok but how will this hang me up?

You might have a tough time convincing a CO your current marriage is valid, and not just for immigration purposes.

Second, do you make enough income for 3 people? (you, your new wife to be, and ex-wife).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I would have thought that if you have already brought a woman from the Phillipines to be your wife, then you would be a bit more savvy on what is what with permanent residency/citizenship!!

She was a Chinese woman and she had already lived in USA on a work visa, and we had lawyers do most of the work like 4 years ago.. So trying to remember everything is kinda hard.

Ok well thanks for the answers all. I hope this wont be too much of an issue with them I do relize I married a foriegner before but it did last 3 years and im just now getting a divorce after the 4th. Any advice on extra steps I should take while trying to apply for my K1? I love this girl so much I cant stand being away from her, although we talk all day and night...

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I personally know someone that got a divorce after 3 years of marriage and after marrying a Brazilian who was already in the country then immediately applying for the K-1 for someone else. The second woman is here and she has already been approved for 2 year green card.

Really, you have more to worry about if your income can't support the TWO of them. You know, you are liable for the first one for 10 years or until she is a citizen.

One thing though, my friend who married the Brazilian did go to the RP a lot during the K-1 process to bolster his case.

It's not "just" 10 years. It's if the immigrant works for 40 qtrs of work (which can take 10 years to do). If she never works, you will never reach 40 qtrs, so you can be on the hook till she becomes a citizen, dies, you die, or she abandons her LPR status and leaves the country.

You are right, if you can show a bonafide relationship, you should have no issues.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Ok I have a descent job I guess, it's not "full time" but I do work close to 32 hours a week (I was full time but had to leave company for 6months for medical and its really tuff to get back full time status, altough I have been with company 3+ years) and last tax return was around 30k but I also have yikes unreported income from tips... I know that 125% above poverty is around 21k for you and wife, but what is it for a 2nd wife?

Its not about earning enough to satisfy immigration, what about the reality can you really live and support 3 people on 30K..if so I would love some tips!!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

Dating is a pain in the butt, and when you get over 40, can literally meet thousands if not millions of women just interested in sex and not marriage because they don't want to lose their alimony. Wasn't my bag to screw a woman some other sucker was paying for. Meeting a true person is nothing short of a miracle and especially meeting a woman you do not have to adjust to, everything seems to fall into place. And if you think you are going to change a person, you are nuts and really in deep sh!t if that person immediately tries to change you.

Then if that person is from a foreign country, the USCIS enters and controls your life, was quite an experience, maybe we should all go through that, did make the comment after my only divorce they way I was racked over hot coals, if they made the divorce regulations part of the marriage ceremony, 99.9999% of the people would walk away. Dealing with the USCIS was a one life time experience, one that I would never want to undertake, ever, ever again. OP really seems hot about this girl, wonder how long that will last?

Timeline

"Its not about earning enough to satisfy immigration, what about the reality can you really live and support 3 people on 30K..if so I would love some tips!!"

Ok well firstly my soon to be X-wife is already in another relationship and has her own resturant, so I dont think she will come after me for any money. My only concern is satisfying immagration with whatever the need from me. Like I asked earlier what is the required income amount in my case? To be able to support myself, my new wife and as far as thier concerned my x-wife. (im a little confused as to why your responsible for someone if you have a legal divorce)

As far as being "hot" for this woman I love her more then any woman I have ever met, and I have been with a few to say the least..

Timeline

You already have an outstanding affidavit of support for the soon to be x wife. That makes your family 2 people already. Then add the soon to be wife makes 3. You will need to earn at least $22,887

See here Poverty Guidelines

Until the x becomes a citizen or works 40 quarters you are essentially responsible if she goes on means tested benefits for any reason. You are responsible as you are the one who sponsored her, or if a co sponsor was used then they are ultimatly responsible

Good luck

Read the I-864 which shows you are responsible for the immigrant whether married or not.

I-864

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

You will need to earn at least $22,887

i'm just wondering, what if somebody is not working but has money at least $ 150.000 in bank ??

do they still need a sponsor ?

Edited by cookiee

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.