MapleLeafBaby

POE...What is needed?

27 posts in this topic

I'm getting all my stuff together.

I've hired a moving co to take care of the bulk...they will do the 3299 for me etc...

I am making an inventory of stuff that we will have packed in our cars. I will have my Visa envelope and my file with me just in case.

I will also have my vehicle letter for import. Do they want to see any other ID? Like ownership of the car, or BC's etc?

Also, my 5 year old son is traveling with me. Is the Visa enough (as one can only assume I already have auth to cross with him) or should I have my documents handy from my ex, showing agreement for travel?

I just don't want to pack anything I may need...

What do you do? Drive up to the CO and say that you are activating a K1 Visa? They then send you to secondary?

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Well, the visa is already activated.... you're just using it. So you drive up, hand them your passport and tell them you're coming in on a K-1 visa. They'll keep your passport, give you a slip, then send you over to secondary. You'll wait for them to call your name and then they'll process you in. Once that's done you will import your car. If you're crossing at the Peace Bridge you'll go over to the Customs building. If you're crossing at Queenston it's in the same building. You'll need your registration and your letter of compliance. You'll also need to tell them the value of the vehicle. Low-ball it because you may have to pay State taxes when you go to register it. Here's the Kelley Blue Book site if you need help. Hopefully, your car isn't new, otherwise you'll need to pay duty on it.

Someone else will be able to help you out regarding crossing with a child.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't there a token entry fee.. of like $7.00 or something? And is there POE reviews somewhere on VJ to take a look see (along the top blue bar underneath the happy couples) ? Perhaps check out your POE, cause they all seem to do things just a little bit differently.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Well, the visa is already activated.... you're just using it. So you drive up, hand them your passport and tell them you're coming in on a K-1 visa. They'll keep your passport, give you a slip, then send you over to secondary. You'll wait for them to call your name and then they'll process you in. Once that's done you will import your car. If you're crossing at the Peace Bridge you'll go over to the Customs building. If you're crossing at Queenston it's in the same building. You'll need your registration and your letter of compliance. You'll also need to tell them the value of the vehicle. Low-ball it because you may have to pay State taxes when you go to register it. Here's the Kelley Blue Book site if you need help. Hopefully, your car isn't new, otherwise you'll need to pay duty on it.

Thanks for the info....what's considered new? My car will be 5 months old when I cross.

I think JillA had mentioned that PA had no State taxes for her, but maybe I should double check to make sure there are no weird stipulations...

I will be crossing at Lewiston :)

N-400 Citizenship

Isn't there a token entry fee.. of like $7.00 or something? And is there POE reviews somewhere on VJ to take a look see (along the top blue bar underneath the happy couples) ? Perhaps check out your POE, cause they all seem to do things just a little bit differently.

Oh yes.... for the I-94. It was $6 way back when. It may have gone up by now. lol

Thanks for the info....what's considered new? My car will be 5 months old when I cross.

"New" is less than one year old and comes with a 2.5% dutiable charge. See link. However, you may fall into the "free entry" category. I honestly can't answer that question with any degree of certainty. Maybe if you call the Lewiston CBP and ask them directly. If you do have to pay, I guess you could hold off on importing it for another 7 months to avoid the duty. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I think JillA had mentioned that PA had no State taxes for her, but maybe I should double check to make sure there are no weird stipulations...

I will be crossing at Lewiston :)

I crossed at Lewiston and they did not ask me the value of my car, I didn't know you had to pay duty on a new car, I suppose it has to do with the person working that day.... the guy had to pull out a binder to look up what to do, what forms to fill out.... My car was 3 yrs old but they didn't even ask and I would have just guessed the value. No state taxes on my car in PA, but maybe that's cause my car wasn't "new"..... I don't think it should make a difference, new or old. If you're importing it for your own personal use, then that's that!

Yes it was $6 for me!

I would also bring the registration with you, to prove it's in your name, etc.... Just to be safe, bring everything you may be asked for by an ####### border guard.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I can't really delay the import. Being that I was an Insurance litigation analyst for years, I can speak from experience when I say that if my car insr co found out I was living in the US without having done a transfer within 30 days or so, they would deny any claims. Especially if it were catastrophic and my car was written off or we were severly injured. They would deny it due to change in risk without notification. I worry that it's too risky.

I'm gonna try calling...this ***** car is costing me a fortune!!!! :(

Oh yes.... for the I-94. It was $6 way back when. It may have gone up by now. lol

"New" is less than one year old and comes with a 2.5% dutiable charge. See link. However, you may fall into the "free entry" category. I honestly can't answer that question with any degree of certainty. Maybe if you call the Lewiston CBP and ask them directly. If you do have to pay, I guess you could hold off on importing it for another 7 months to avoid the duty. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

N-400 Citizenship

Thanks Jill :)

You would think that they would allow 1 personal import per person?

How will they know if the car is 6 months or a year? I mean, do they ask for the bill of sale? A 2009 could potentially be a year old?

Trying to save some money here... Lol'! Hoping if I cross at 5am, they'll be passive lol'!

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can't they tell from the VIN# how old the car is?

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Can't they tell from the VIN# how old the car is?

Technically yes...but I doubt the boarder has that type of access for all manufacturers and production dates?

Plus from what I hear, they fill out a form etc....do they actually run the car?

But I guess you are right, cause then anyone cane buy a car and claim it's 1 yr old?

Oiy Vei!!! :(

Do they take credit cards? Lol'!

N-400 Citizenship

I can't really delay the import. Being that I was an Insurance litigation analyst for years, I can speak from experience when I say that if my car insr co found out I was living in the US without having done a transfer within 30 days or so, they would deny any claims. Especially if it were catastrophic and my car was written off or we were severly injured. They would deny it due to change in risk without notification. I worry that it's too risky.

I'm gonna try calling...this ***** car is costing me a fortune!!!! :(

Geico will insure your car in the US until you can change it over.

Technically yes...but I doubt the boarder has that type of access for all manufacturers and production dates?

They will ask you for the make, model, and year of the car. You will be asked to produce the ownership and the bill of sale. The make, model, and year of the car is on that also.

iagree.gif

Timeline

When I moved I used a moving company. I had to give a copy of my passport and visa to the moving company, and they needed to go over the border after me. Advice on VJ was that once I was over the border than I should fax a copy of my I-94 to the moving company so they could show it when they crossed the border. My moving company (one of the big ones ... I'm blanking) didn't really know about this, but I did it anyway. You may want to confirm what your moving company needs to cross with your belongings. Or insist on taking a copy of the I-94 like I did.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline
Thanks Jill :)

You would think that they would allow 1 personal import per person?

How will they know if the car is 6 months or a year? I mean, do they ask for the bill of sale? A 2009 could potentially be a year old?

Trying to save some money here... Lol'! Hoping if I cross at 5am, they'll be passive lol'!

You'd think so eh!? You know what, I think it's just going to depend who you get at the border that day. But you'll have to be prepared for either scenario. As Krikit said they'll ask you for the ownership/bill of sale, but they didn't ask me for any of that. It was almost TOO easy, I was so prepared for everything and they didn't ask anything. I even had a 20 page packing list detailing what I was bringing with me and they didn't even ask!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

You'd think so eh!? You know what, I think it's just going to depend who you get at the border that day. But you'll have to be prepared for either scenario. As Krikit said they'll ask you for the ownership/bill of sale, but they didn't ask me for any of that. It was almost TOO easy, I was so prepared for everything and they didn't ask anything. I even had a 20 page packing list detailing what I was bringing with me and they didn't even ask!

Yep. Ask 20 different people what the process was and you'll get 20 different answers. It all depends on who's working the desk. Good times.

iagree.gif

Thanks guys...this is great feedback!

So I'm just sitting here.....HOLDING MY VISA!!!!! it came today!!!!

So excited!!!!!

I am not gonna let this out of my site for the next 5 weeks!!!!

The moving co I hired, actually mentioned the process to me about me crossing first then facing them the I94 as the driver will need it.

Here's to hoping the car import thing goes ok.....I'll keep you all posted!!!! :)

N-400 Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.