MapleLeafBaby

NAME CHANGE: WHAT IS NEEDED?

6 posts in this topic

I posted this in 'moving...' didn't generate any responses.... can I get some feedback from my CA Peeps? lol! :)

I'm moving next month, and we plan to marry within 2-3 weeks. So I will apply for my SSN right after we marry, and I want to apply in my married name.

Question: once I file for AOS, what is required to file in my married name, just the marriage certificate?

and for SSN, what do they need, certificate also?

I see that you should wait about 2 weeks to get SSN, to ensure that you are in the system and avoid being processed manually?

I downloaded the forms and bulletins from this site.

Also, can I hyphenate my name? I want to keep my maiden name as well as my married name. Will they allow my to hyphenate on SSN and AOS/GC?

I prefer to do this, as my son carries my maiden name, and I would like to still have same/partial last name.

Thanks in advance :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Can't answer the hyphenated name question but your legal change of name doc is your marriage certificate so, yes, that's all you need for the AOS and the SSN.

Cool thanks! I worry that they don't allow really long names? My maiden name is already 7 letters and my fiances last name is 9 letters.

I would really like to legally change my last name (I never did during my first marriage, kind of like I knew, and part of the reason why I hyphenated my son's last name with my ex's and mine). So I would love to take on his last name, but feel like I need to keep mine as well, so my son and I will still have a same last name... I feel like I could never do that to my son... just have him rome around with a name that doesn't match anyone in his family :(

Anyways, let me know if anyone else did this

thanks guys

:)

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you're filling out the AOS forms, just put name-name as your last name with the hyphen.... Since you're attaching a certified copy of your marriage cert that will do the trick.... and bring your marriage cert to the SSN office.... fill out the form before hand and write your new name on the form.... that will be good.... If you don't know the form I'm talking about I'll send you the link.... It's to apply for the SSN. Same thing when you go to get your drivers license, bring the marriage cert....

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Thanks guys! I printed the SSN app off this site, as well as the bulletin for K1's being able to apply in case they give me probs.... I figured I wait till we marry, since it's at the 2week mark anyways

As for DL, I wonder if I could print app on line? i'll go check...

Thanks!

N-400 Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.