~Laura and Nick~

Question about Canadian license :)

10 posts in this topic

Hey!!

I hope that everyone is well, happy and doing fine!!!

Summer is almost here and I'm so excited!!!

So...

I am able to get my license here in Jersey (I'm still waiting for my green card...and apparently I don't need that to get my license here, I have enough documentation to get it here after all, just found this out!) So I'm going to go this Thursday and get my New Jersey drivers license (Scared like ####### to drive here but whatever :blink: )

My question is about my Canadian license...

I only have my G2...I just got my license about 9 months or so before I moved here (I was a very late bloomer) and so I know that I need to get my G within 5 years of having my G2....or I'll be demoted back to G1 stage and have to start all over again.

What happens if Nick and I decide to move back to Canada? Can I just show them my New Jersey license and get a G Canadian one? Or will I have to start from scratch?

Can I go home and take the test for my G in the near future? I read somewhere that I can't because I don't have a Canadian address.

Help? :)

Thanks guys!!!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Laura,

I don't really know the answer to your question about the graduated licence situation; however, I did want to mention that if you feel your green card arrival is imminent, you might want to wait and apply for your licence with your green card, instead of your EAD. That's because your licence will expire when your EAD expires, which is a year I think, but the green card is two years, so the licence would expire in two years. Less hassle down the road.

Anyway, if you haven't been driving all this time, you might want to just go ahead and get the licence, rather than wait for your green card.

I just got my NJ licence a couple of weeks ago. Once I had my green card it was pretty easy. I've been to the darn MVC too many times with various documentation and been turned away, so I didn't even try with my EAD. I thought you needed your green card (even though it doesn't say that anywhere on their web site or in their brochures).

With regard to the written test, I saw some good advice elsewhere on VJ. The test is computerized. They give you 50 questions and you need to get 40 correct. If you don't know the answer to something "skip" it and answer the ones you know. It'll circle back to the skipped ones, and you can keep answering the ones you're most likely to get correct. I think it gives you a better chance if you can minimize the ones you get wrong as you go along. Study the guide!

Good luck figuring out the graduated licence thing! I would suggest going there informed with your own comparison of the Ontario and NJ graduated licence programs. I wonder how informed they are about it. The more knowledgable you are, the better of you'll be. I almost had someone tell me I had to do the road test, but in the end I convinced her that I didn't.

I've been driving on my Canadian licence since I moved here. I think I would have gone insane if I couldn't have driven.

Good luck!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline
With regard to the written test, I saw some good advice elsewhere on VJ. The test is computerized. They give you 50 questions and you need to get 40 correct. If you don't know the answer to something "skip" it and answer the ones you know. It'll circle back to the skipped ones, and you can keep answering the ones you're most likely to get correct. I think it gives you a better chance if you can minimize the ones you get wrong as you go along. Study the guide!

Congrats on getting your license. I had previously mentioned the practice test on the NJ Department of Transportation website. Nice to know it helps. I would be lost also if I was without my car!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

There's two issues I can think of... I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but I don't think you can have 2 valid drivers licenses from two different places at the same time... Although that probably depends on the state you live in. So if you go back to Ontario to get your G, there's a chance your NJ state license will get revoked.

Also, holding a valid Ontario drivers license would be a legitimate tie to Canada, that you probably shouldn't have when trying to gain legal permanent residency in the US. So for those reasons, I don't see going back to Ontario and getting your G license as a good idea...

I would think your NJ license would transfer into an Ontario license... But I wouldn't worry about it for now. Its hard to plan for what if scenarios. That is, unless you are reasonably certain you will go back and live in Ontario one day.

I have a G2 myself... I don't want to go get my G because I don't know if It will help me any. Either way, i'm going to have to do some kind of driving test (probably). So i'd rather do it in the US and know I will get my license, then get go get my G and still risk not being able to get a CO state license (if that made any sense at all... :lol:)

I did want to mention that if you feel your green card arrival is imminent, you might want to wait and apply for your licence with your green card, instead of your EAD. That's because your licence will expire when your EAD expires, which is a year I think, but the green card is two years, so the licence would expire in two years. Less hassle down the road.

I just wanted to add that this depends on the state/city that you are in. For instance I heard of 1 person in Illinois that got his license just with his NOA1 of the EAD application, and for me in another office they told me I needed the actual card...

And on top of this, I got my DL with my EAD card, but my DL expired in 2011...So they still issued me the regular 4 years DL.

Good to see you around Laura :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

This link might help... http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

It looks like as long as you meet the experience requirements and provide a driving abstract, if you move back to Ontario, you'll never have to take your G test. (Lucky you! Actually, it was an easy test, it just scared the ####### out of me!)

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Timeline
There's two issues I can think of... I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but I don't think you can have 2 valid drivers licenses from two different places at the same time... Although that probably depends on the state you live in. So if you go back to Ontario to get your G, there's a chance your NJ state license will get revoked.

I would think your NJ license would transfer into an Ontario license... But I wouldn't worry about it for now. Its hard to plan for what if scenarios. That is, unless you are reasonably certain you will go back and live in Ontario one day.

I have a G2 myself... I don't want to go get my G because I don't know if It will help me any. Either way, i'm going to have to do some kind of driving test (probably). So i'd rather do it in the US and know I will get my license, then get go get my G and still risk not being able to get a CO state license (if that made any sense at all... :lol:)

Every state is different. NJ doesn't transfer licenses from country to country. I have a valid Ontario license and a valid NJ license. I would obviously be using my NJ one when driving my NJ plated car. Having an Ontario license doesn't really play into the whole ties to canada thing. Once you are an immigrant, as Laura is, there is no need for ties to Canada any more.

I also think while saying "read the rules on your state's DMV website" is the way to go, I went to the DMV and they told me they would not give me a license until I got a green card. I don't know. NJ is funny because they have their 6 point ID verification you have to meet, unlike a lot of other states. But I find different DMV workers tell you didn't things.

It took me writing that damn test 3 times to get over 40. The first two times I scored exactly 37. I finally read the book after that. Even though I never went a day in NJ without my car (I drove around for the first year with my Ontario plated car and driver's license)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I also think while saying "read the rules on your state's DMV website" is the way to go, I went to the DMV and they told me they would not give me a license until I got a green card. I don't know. NJ is funny because they have their 6 point ID verification you have to meet, unlike a lot of other states. But I find different DMV workers tell you didn't things.

It took me writing that damn test 3 times to get over 40. The first two times I scored exactly 37. I finally read the book after that. Even though I never went a day in NJ without my car (I drove around for the first year with my Ontario plated car and driver's license)

Yeah, I don't know why they don't just say on the web site that you need a green card. I found the 6 point thing misleading. Also, when they gave me my NJ licence, she gave me back my Canadian licence. She called some higher authority to confirm that that's what she was supposed to do.

Laura, it'll be interesting to see if you can get it with your EAD. it's worth trying. It might be one of those things where it depends who you ask. When I asked they were adament that it had to be the green card. And I tried three different offices!

Insurance can also be an issue. My husband's insurance company insured me initially, but after 60 days (back in September) they said they need my NJ licence to insure me. I managed to put them off until April, and i feel relieved that they finally have it and I won't get cut off.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny thing with any govt organization, one can goto a different DMV and they will tel ya somethign else!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'll just wait till my green card...if that ever comes.

Thanks for all the information guys.

I've missed you all greatly.

Hi Mephys... <3

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.