Flames9_RN

Cdn passport arrived

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Is it true that Canadian passports are good for 10 years now?

Someone told me that the other day, but I just didn't want to believe them....

I heard they are going to introduce 10 year passports in 2011. This is from a lady at the passport office in St. Catharines :thumbs:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

for now, still 5 yrs.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

How'd you manage to pay only $1 to courier it to Gatineau? Did you play your retired military card er sumthin? :P $30 was the cheapest I could get. Even USPS would have cost more for 1 day service.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
How'd you manage to pay only $1 to courier it to Gatineau? Did you play your retired military card er sumthin? :P $30 was the cheapest I could get. Even USPS would have cost more for 1 day service.

I did not courier it. I just put it in a regular envelope.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hi,

Is there a way to maintain your Cdn Passport when you to the US do you need to Inform passport Canada, I moved here in 2006 and have since then have not contacted since then is there a procedure on this?

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

Is there a way to maintain your Cdn Passport when you to the US do you need to Inform passport Canada, I moved here in 2006 and have since then have not contacted since then is there a procedure on this?

You just have to apply for a new one when your current one expires. You don't have to notify anyone about your passport, nope!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I didn't want to chance it taking the usual 2 weeks to get there or getting lost in the mail unfortunately. I'm determined to get home for Canada Day, and didn't want to mess that up!

Hi,

Not sure what you're asking here really. Maintain your Canadian passport when you do what in the US exactly?

If you just need to renew your existing Canadian passport, yes, there is a procedure see the Passport Canada website for info and forms

http://www.passport.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx...=eng&id=501

If you're asking whether or not you can keep your Canadian passport when/if you get a US one eventually, yes, you just need to keep renewing it as anyone else would. Canada allows you to have dual or multiple nationalities.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Quick question, did they send you back your old passport and original documents as well without any problem? I am sending mine next week by mail from the US. I am just not so cool about having to send the original of our marriage certificate, but for a name change Passport Canada requires the original document to be sent along with a letter explaining why I need a passport renewal before it expires.

I just really want my marriage certificate back :unsure:

i thought they need certified copy of it,am i wrong??

you need to send them the "official" copy that you rec'd from the registrar. They'll send it back to you with your new passport.

You can always get extra copies of your marriage certificate from the county if you need them. They're usually pretty cheap.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Quick question, did they send you back your old passport and original documents as well without any problem? I am sending mine next week by mail from the US. I am just not so cool about having to send the original of our marriage certificate, but for a name change Passport Canada requires the original document to be sent along with a letter explaining why I need a passport renewal before it expires.

I just really want my marriage certificate back :unsure:

Checked off the box to get my passport back, and got it back with holes punched in it, and all my documents were sent back in mint condition. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Is it true that Canadian passports are good for 10 years now?

Someone told me that the other day, but I just didn't want to believe them....

I heard they are going to introduce 10 year passports in 2011. This is from a lady at the passport office in St. Catharines :thumbs:

Great! Mine expires in 2011. For now I'll be making..(when I can travel) all tickets in my current name, and change it when it expires. Then not long after that...when I go for naturalization...I'll have two!! LOL....

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

i hope it takes 15 -20 days for mine too""

Edited by TXLADY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny story from passport Canada! My little sister is 15 so she's not quite old enough to get an adult passport (16 and over) So my parents went and applied for a child's passport on her behalf 2 weeks ago and they told them that her passport would need to be renewed when she turned 16 and that it would only be valid for 9 months. They opted to get one anyways, just to insure she had no problems traveling to see me for the wedding and beyond. They paid the $37 child passport fee and all was well...

Well today she got her passport and its an adult passport that is valid until 2014 :huh: for $37!

Lucky! But I wonder what is the difference between a children's and adult passport? Does it actually state somewhere on the ID that it is adult or child? And if she is a child, with an adult passport, will this give her a problem when she tries to cross the border?

I've never seen a child's passport, so have no clue.

i hope it takes 15 -20 days for mine too""

From the date it was received in Gatineau, mine was returned to me, with all my original documentation, and old passport, within a week. Very fast! They couriered it back to me via DHL.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.