adairsky

can I travel back to My country due to taking caring of parents ,after applying N400?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

I am in the processing of applying US citizen.

I have a question. My parents need me back to take care of them awhile. ( maybe 1 year or more , i am not so sure. it depends on their health)

I am afraid that I will not get US citizenship when USCIS finds out I am not in US . My husband says it should be fine becoz I will be here for interviews or cerenomy.

What should I do?? Thanks for help.

Here's a great site for you

http://www.americanlaw.com/maintlpr.html

Taking care of your parents is very important, tough choice to make. If you can hold of till you get your citizenship then go that route, if not you could lose your green card for living outside the US for more than a period of time.

Edited by KyngSilva

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Timeline

I was in the same situation but for a shorter period of time. I was in and out of the country for the last year but I never exceeded six months at a time, and the IO did record the total days out of the U.S. I would not recommend leaving for more than 6 months, if the circumstances allow it of course. If you have to go back for an extended period of time, it should not be more than 1 year. Then you would have broken your continuous residence (there are exceptions but taking care of family members is not one of them). And make sure you have enough time in the U.S., too.

"Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);

has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;

has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)

has resided within a state or district for at least three months."

N400: D/O - Las Vegas, NV

10/10/08 : N-400 Mailed to CSC.

10/13/08 : N-400 received

10/16/08 : money order presented for payment

10/20/08 : NOA received ; case transferred to NBC

10/16/08 : date of notice

10/14/08 : priority date

10/27/08 : FP Notification received

11/13/08 : scheduled for FP and done

01/21/09 : IL received

03/23/09 : Interview scheduled and completed successfully!

Happy and waiting for oath letter- 4 to 6 weeks according to the IO........

04/11/09 : Received Oath letter (scheduled for May 1)

05/01/09 : Took oath!! A very special day for me and my family!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also remember going away for say 6 months and comming back for a short time and re-leaving for 6 months doesn't constitue maintaining residency and is grounds for immediate denial. Over a year you will most always be denied. You must not only be away, but also must maintain US ties as well such as a home, bills etc. Simple just leaving for a year and having nothing to show US residency is also grounds for abandonment of the Green Card and you could find yourself not only without US citizenship, but without a Green Card as well if the IO determines so.

Wait till you get your US citizenship before trying something like this...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

As other people said. it may cause the problem not just for your US citizenship, but also for your permanent residency.

So be careful.

Also after you become US citizen, you have to use US passport for dealing with US government by the law.

So you should have US passport to make your travel plan.

If your parents health needs you, you can withdraw N400 application, and file for I-131 re-entry permit for extended travel such as 1 year.

That will delay your eligibility for N400 restart from the time when you come back, but that's your decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.