bradcanuck

Coming up on Citizenship

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am nearing my earliest application date to apply for citizenship (November 11th)

What I wanted to know is - in your experience when is it best to get all of the paperwork together? Do they change the forms often enough to where I should wait - or would it be fine to begin prepping everything and putting together lease documents, photos etc now? We were told during the GC interview that we would have to send in "additional proof" once our 2 year GC was up.

I am getting excited here and I want to make sure everything is tight and put away for the big day.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am nearing my earliest application date to apply for citizenship (November 11th)

What I wanted to know is - in your experience when is it best to get all of the paperwork together? Do they change the forms often enough to where I should wait - or would it be fine to begin prepping everything and putting together lease documents, photos etc now? We were told during the GC interview that we would have to send in "additional proof" once our 2 year GC was up.

I am getting excited here and I want to make sure everything is tight and put away for the big day.

It is not the earliest date but 3 years from the last qualification date... Based on your timeline... citizenship window opens 90 days before 1/26/2011 (3 years as an LPR) or end of October 2010 not 2009....

You will need to apply to remove conditions first (I-751) in October 2009 and then citizenship one year later

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think the form has changed for a long while. I'd start getting everything ready, fill out the form etc and then just double check before sending it out (yes 90 days before your PR date is when you can officially send it, not 3 months though, 90 days) to see if there is a new N-400 or not.

That's what I did and pretty sure there was a new N-400 2 weeks before I sent mine out, so I just used that one, though I had filled out the older version weeks before.

I saved up bills and stuff for the package and then before sending it, I just photo copied the latest bill and put that in as well. You generally don't need a whole lot...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Congratulations - very exciting - have no info to offer, but a quick question which undoubtedly has been asked somewhere on VJ - do my 2 yrs on my temp GC, before the 10 yr card count towards when I can apply for citizenship or no...not trying to hijack :( ok - well maybe a little, but in a pleasant way!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline
Congratulations - very exciting - have no info to offer, but a quick question which undoubtedly has been asked somewhere on VJ - do my 2 yrs on my temp GC, before the 10 yr card count towards when I can apply for citizenship or no...not trying to hijack :( ok - well maybe a little, but in a pleasant way!

Yes!

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes!

Really!!!??? I read (somewhere), that if someone comes over on a K1, the waiting time is 3 years before applying for citizenship (instead of 5)... so, that could possibly mean in three years' time (from this summer), he could be doing citizenship paperwork? :blink:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Yes!

Do I count as 3 yrs or 5 until I can apply ...so much conflicting info...good grief - things could get busy next year

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Yes!

Do I count as 3 yrs or 5 until I can apply ...so much conflicting info...good grief - things could get busy next year

3 years based on a ongoing marriage to a USC

5 years if not

YMMV

Timeline

Woot!

Brad- I'm right behind ya!

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline
Really!!!??? I read (somewhere), that if someone comes over on a K1, the waiting time is 3 years before applying for citizenship (instead of 5)... so, that could possibly mean in three years' time (from this summer), he could be doing citizenship paperwork? :blink:

It's 3 years from when he receives his conditional residency. It'd be nice if it was from K-1 entry but, alas.... it's not.

iagree.gif

Timeline

It's 3 years from when he receives his conditional residency. It'd be nice if it was from K-1 entry but, alas.... it's not.

Yup, to expand on what krikit mentioned..

there are three 3-year criteria that must be met.... All three criteria must be met before the application window opens and then it opens 90 days before the latest date

1) 3 year anniversary of marriage (and marriage must still be intact and ongoing)

2) 3 years as a permanent resident

3) 3 year anniversary of the USC spouse's citizenship....

For most people the latest criteria met is 3 years as an LPR...

YMMV

Congrats Bradcannuck on coming this far.

I imagine you are working things out?

(L)(F)(L)

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed for my USA citizenship many months after I was able to. It was a very easy process, filling out the form wasn't that difficult. It took me approx 6 months from start to finish, and that included postponing my biometrics because I was going on holidays, and then having to wait a bit longer for my oath ceremony, because at the interview, they noticed their was an "extra file" on my case (no clue what it was), so instead of having my oath ceremony the very same day of the interview (not al places do that) I had to wait a bit longer, wasn't a big deal to me. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup, to expand on what krikit mentioned..

there are three 3-year criteria that must be met.... All three criteria must be met before the application window opens and then it opens 90 days before the latest date

1) 3 year anniversary of marriage (and marriage must still be intact and ongoing)

2) 3 years as a permanent resident

3) 3 year anniversary of the USC spouse's citizenship....

For most people the latest criteria met is 3 years as an LPR...

LPR = ??? LOL, everytime I see PR, I ALWAYS think Puerto Rico first... then the brain does a translation and eventually I think of Permanent Resident. So, what's an LPR? Someone becomes a PR when he/she gets the Green Card, yes?

*sigh*so much to learn*sigh*

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.