Han & James

Do I need to translate all my documents into English?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi guys,

Pls help me to answer this question.

After getting approval from USCIS, and then it will be transfered to NVC before comming to Consulate in Hochiminh - Vietnam, and then I will receive package 3 & 4 in order. And I have to submit my documents which Consulate requires in those packages, such as birthday certificate, police certificate, affidavit of single, ect. I want to know that will I need to translate them into english, so that I can prepare these things first?

Thank you very much,

Good luck to all of us

Han & James

12/11/2008: sent petition K-1 at Vermont Service Center

12/12/2008: got NOA1

04/08/2009: got NOA2

04/25/2009: received p3

05/04/2009: submited DS-230 part 1 & DS-2001

06/11/2009: received p4

07/06/2009: interview date at US Consulate in HCMC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, documents submitted to any US consulate should be translated. If it's an official document it is wise to have a certified translation.

Read through the guides here on VJ and spend some time reading the Asia: East & Pacific regional forum. That will help you to familiarize with the process.

HCMC is one of the tougher consulates. They like to see more than the minimum evidence and effort. There are a lot of people herer on VJ going through HCMC so make use of their experience.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Hi guys,

After getting approval from USCIS, and then it will be transfered to NVC before comming to Consulate in Hochiminh - Vietnam, and then I will receive package 3 & 4 in order. And I have to submit my documents which Consulate requires in those packages, such as birthday certificate, police certificate, affidavit of single, ect. I want to know that will I need to translate them into english, so that I can prepare these things first?

Thank you very much,

Good luck to all of us

Han & James

1. Just to clarify, you will not submit any of the documents that you listed to the consulate prior to your interview. All of those items will be presented in person when Han goes for the visa interview.

2. The instructions in Packet 3 say that "All documents not in English or Vietnamese must be accompanied by certified translation, which include a statement by the translator stating “Translation is accurate” and “Translator is competent to translate”.", so you do not need to translate Vietnamese documents into English for the consulate. HOWEVER, you will need many of them for AOS in the US and those will need to be in English only. A lot easier to get docs translated into English in HCM than here in the US, so I recommend that you get the translations done sometime before Han leaves Vietnam. And once you have them in English, might as well have them for the consulate, as well...just in case.

3. Affidavit of single is not specifically noted as a required document, but as Anh Map says, HCM is not about the basics. Best to be prepared with anything that could possibly be requested, regardless of whether it is specifically stated or not.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi guys,

Thank you very much,

Good luck to all of us

Han & James

Yes, and it is a good thing to kill time while waiting for I-129f approval

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

And don't forget to translate your passport pages! I got a request for evidence because of this....I just didn't think of it as a "document" that needed to be translated. And felt really dumb afterwards.... :blush:

This is a good plce for answers as well. Lots of people with SO's in Vietnam post here. Good Luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=90

06-29-09 received GC in mail

4-18-11 mailed I-751 CSC

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-04-18

NOA Date Received : 2011-06-06

Date on NOA: 2011-04-22

Bio. Appt. : 2011-06-24

Had to make an Info Pass appointment because there was a delay in receiving the NOA for our I-751. Never found out the reason for the delay but they gave Thao a 1 year green card stamp in her passport and we got a the NOA 2 days later.

Approved: 2011-09-23

Notice sent: 2011-09-28

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I have to submit my documents which Consulate requires...will I need to translate them into english, so that I can prepare these things first?
Yes
2. The instructions in Packet 3 say that "All documents not in English or Vietnamese must be accompanied by certified translation, which include a statement by the translator stating “Translation is accurate” and “Translator is competent to translate”.", so you do not need to translate Vietnamese documents into English for the consulate.
Gary, what was unclear about the direct quote (from someone who has DEALT with Vietnam) in the post that appeared immediately above your blithe and flat "yes"? What caused you to provide wrong information to the OP?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
consulate question requires a consulate answer... best if posted in consulate forum

Thank you very much for all your explainations.

Good luck to all

Han & James

Edited by Han & James

12/11/2008: sent petition K-1 at Vermont Service Center

12/12/2008: got NOA1

04/08/2009: got NOA2

04/25/2009: received p3

05/04/2009: submited DS-230 part 1 & DS-2001

06/11/2009: received p4

07/06/2009: interview date at US Consulate in HCMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.