Kathryn41

Passport Canada cuts online service -

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Passport Canada abruptly cuts online service CP - Sun Apr 12, 01:44 PM EDT

By Dean Beeby, The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Passport Canada has abruptly ended its online application service, just as other federal departments are expanding their Internet-based links with Canadians.

The agency posted a cryptic notice on its website earlier this month, saying its online service is "stepping aside" and will not be available after April 30. The move follows complaints from Canada's privacy commissioner about sloppy security at the agency, and an embarrassing online security breach more than a year ago.

But a spokesman for Passport Canada says the online service is being wound up simply because it isn't as "convenient" for Canadians as using downloadable forms that must be filled out and brought in person to a passport office.

"Passport On-Line has been replaced by interactive forms because they are more convenient for applicants," Jean-Sebastien Roy said in an email response to questions.

"Interactive forms do not require a password or an online session."

The online application service was launched with great fanfare in January 2005 with a promise it would reduce waiting times.

Passport On-Line was to help "ensure that Canadians have better and quicker access to our services and products," said the agency's CEO at the time, Doreen Steidle.

"We believe that this initiative responds to Canadians' desire to have access to key government services online."

The demise of the online service comes at a crunch time for Passport Canada, which expects to issue a record 5.1 million passports in 2009-2010, as Canadians gear up for tougher rules at the American border.

As of June 1, most Canadians travelling by land or water to U.S. destinations must carry a passport. Air travellers are already subject to the new requirements.

The agency is now encouraging applicants to go to the Passport Canada website to download an interactive form, which it introduced in February. The form can be filled out at the computer - but then must be printed on paper and brought to an issuing office.

Previously, the online service allowed applicants to provide their personal information via a secure link to agency databanks. Applicants still had to come into an office to drop off photographs and present proof of identification, but the process was always billed as faster and more efficient.

Another agency spokesman, Sebastien Bois, said that 14 per cent of the 445,000 passport applicants in March used the new downloadable form, while only one per cent used the online service.

The agency's withdrawal from online services comes as the Canada Revenue Agency has successfully promoted the electronic filing of tax returns.

In 2008, 56 per cent of all tax returns were filed through the Netfile and Efile services, as Canadians warm to the speed, ease and efficiency of secure online connections.

Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart reported in December that Passport Canada was sloppy about security, citing, for example, a lack of safeguards for its databanks.

And a year earlier, a man from Huntsville, Ont., found a simple way to tap into the personal information of people who were using Passport On-Line.

The agency acknowledged the error, and said it had found a way to fix the problem. Bois said there has been no subsequent breach.

He added the agency may someday return to the burgeoning online world.

"Passport Canada is continually looking at new technologies to improve its services to Canadians," he said.

"It is too early to tell what technologies will be used. But based on the trend of online services in the industry, this will be part of our consideration for the future."

The agency has been caught flat-footed in the past, with its faulty projections of passport demand resulting in long lineups and waiting times.

The auditor general of Canada recently reported that the agency has largely resolved those problems through more hiring and better forecasting.

Passports, currently valid for five years, cost $87.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

My Canadian passport is still good for a few years but when it'll be time to renew it, uh, what's going to happen? I'll need to travel back to Canada to file my renewal request in person? :blink:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My Canadian passport is still good for a few years but when it'll be time to renew it, uh, what's going to happen? I'll need to travel back to Canada to file my renewal request in person? :blink:

No , you can get one while your in the USA, or anywhere else in the world

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

renewing passport from the US

The tricky part is finding a photographer in the US who will do Canadian passport photos. Most refuse to do them anymore, though Sears Portrait Studios will still do them, mine cost $16 last week. Will mail it off today, and hopefully they won't be rejected.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

As I'm reading over the qualifications you have to meet, the last one states, "Most recent passport must have been issued under current name". I need to change my passport into my married name so does that mean I still have to do it in person?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
As I'm reading over the qualifications you have to meet, the last one states, "Most recent passport must have been issued under current name". I need to change my passport into my married name so does that mean I still have to do it in person?

Nope - different form though I think - check out that other thread about procrastinating and passports. I think Carla made a comment about which form - there's definitely a post about that in there.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

your best bet to get a photo--is find a small mom/pop camera store, which can be hard to find! I know place by me that does them! As well any sort of professional photographer with a studio should be able to do them, but maybe not as cheap as one can get done at a retail store

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

It just means you can't use the easy service..... you have to go through the old process of getting guarantors, etc. Which is why I have decided to keep my passport in my former name. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

It just means you can't use the easy service..... you have to go through the old process of getting guarantors, etc. Which is why I have decided to keep my passport in my former name. :angry:

wth... :angry:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

But it can still be mailed, correct?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

:lol:

But it can still be mailed, correct?

Correct.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I guess what many do that have to use a guarantor is complete the paperwork, mail it to ur guarantor, and then get them to mail it in!

Timeline
I guess what many do that have to use a guarantor is complete the paperwork, mail it to ur guarantor, and then get them to mail it in!

:lol: Yes! In other words, Amanda, you need to go out of your way to do something that should be very simple. BLAH!

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.