dagnytaggart

Fiancée is coming on the 28th what should he bring

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

You do get everything out here but there is a difference. Pressure cookers of US don't have whistle system, so if he can do let him bring pressure cooker.

-Rolling pin

-Jaggery (you hardly get it here)

-Coconut flakes (you do get coconut here but sweetened ones, not the dry flakes)

--May be some medicines, for me it has been boroline antiseptic cream and moov pain relief.

Try some dry whole spices, things like poppy seeds, black musturd seeds; you do get these stuff but prices are outrageous out here.

Just think along the line of where you are and what all you can get, plan ahead according to that. Best of luck for the life ahead (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I second classicrock on the belan and chakla! We have looked everywhere around here and cannot find one like his mom uses at home! We have resigned to a big rolling pin and a woodblock cutting board...not as easy to roll round on though! That will be on our list of things to bring home the next time we go!

Filed: Timeline

If your willing to drive to New jersey, there is a road in Edison called Oak Tree rd, you can get pretty much get anything you can think of there, India Grocery heaven and good India food :dance:, the Patel Brothers is a good store, i've been to the one in Flushing Queens several times, (from there to NJ is a about 1h30 depending on how the traffic is thru city and tunnels :rolleyes:), any ways i've learnt you can get pretty much any thing you want ,you just have to be willing to travel some times.

Edited by crash

Filed: Other Timeline
Tell him to bring with him all the spices, you get them here but they are ten times more than what you would find in India, he can get 250 grams of each spice and that will last him for about 2 years :), if he is from southern India i strongly suggest him to get snacks that he loves as its difficult to get them here.... i miss banana chips [ My mom sent me 2 packs and they just vanish ;)]

If you are from California you can take him to artezia [ little India] you get almost everything there and its best value.. even a pressure cooker for about $35 and all brands.. we got one from there and also some Indian plates and cups as my husband loves to eat and drink from them.

There is an Indian store close by called Spices of Asia that has a ton of stuff even good masalas. They also have banana chips :P. I was just there today picking up a few little snacks and stuff for him as a surprise when he gets here. I got him some milk cake which he loves. I heard of a place in Queens called Patel Brothers and there store is huge from what I understand. We are going to check it out when he gets here. He is not from south India he is from Gujarat. I am not sure but I think they might be able to ship food check out their website.

The problem with the spices is I have never cooked Indian food before so I am not sure which spices would be best for him to bring that we would use often enough to get a 2 years supply of. What would you suggest?

Patel Brothers is THE BEST - I live right around the corner!! :dance: :dance: :dance: They have just about everything you can imagine, tons of spices, masalas, dal, rice, biscuits(both from India and Indian style made locally), THUMS UP, LIMCA, Fanta Orange in the glass bottle(this will make Govi very happy) :dance: , Frooti, plus lots of kitchen stuff, thalis, etc... If you go to Jackson Heights there is a store called Butala Emporium with even more kitchen items, also books, puja things, handicrafts etc. The only things I have not been able to find are some Nepali items specifically the herb JIMBU but I have been stocking up when I go to Nepal. Of course everything is more expensive but if you really need it it's there.

Is that HIMALAYA Milk Cake? That stuff is so good - it has something like 400 calories per piece so of course it must be good... :lol:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
If your willing to drive to New jersey, there is a road in Edison called Oak Tree rd, you can get pretty much get anything you can think of there, India Grocery heaven and good India food :dance:, the Patel Brothers is a good store, i've been to the one in Flushing Queens several times, (from there to NJ is a about 1h30 depending on how the traffic is thru city and tunnels :rolleyes:), any ways i've learnt you can get pretty much any thing you want ,you just have to be willing to travel some times.

Do you ever go to the P.B. in Jackson Heights? It's even bigger than the Flushing store plus there are a lot of other desi stores in the area of 74th St./37thAv/Broadway. Some of the desi stores and restaurants have been closing in Flushing actually - there was a great veg Punjabi restaurant that closed a little over a year ago(on the corner of Main and Franklin) - it's (another) Chinese place now - like Flushing needs another one.... My roommate and I used to go there almost every Saturday evening before going to the Ganesh temple(which serves the best dosa in Queens IMHO). The Punjabi place used to make fresh jalebi every Saturday night - sooo good. Now if you want to get a nice samosa chat or something other than S. Indian khana(which I love, but sometimes want a change) you need to go to Jackson Heights.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all. My fiancée is going to be coming here from India on the 28th. We have been trying to figure out what he should bring with him that he can't get here in the states. The only thing we can really think of is a pressure cooker. Can anyone give me any ideas on what else he should bring?

Indian spices are superb and their pita is the best..tell your fiancee to bring something that will show their cultures e.g. paintings

Mr. & Mrs. Nelson

K1 Journey

02-25-08 Met online

12-20-08 Visited Philippines and spent Christmas with me

01-09-09 Sent I-129 F

01-14-09 Received NOA1

03-20-09 Petition approved! 65 days after NOA1

04-24-09 Packet 3 Received

04-29-09 Medical (First day)

05-06-09 Completed Medical and Vaccinations

05-21-09 Interview Date -APPROVED!!! Yey, yey!!!

05-27-09 Visa arrived

06-09-09 POE LA

06-10-09 Wedding Day

AOS Journey

We are now completing the necessary documents.

07-16-09 Applied for SSN but unfornatunately no number yet. The ss office use my married name and now having trouble checking

it with the Homeland Security

08-06-09 Sent packet for AOS

09-22-09 Biometrics

10-01-09 Received EAD

11-03-09 Interview Date - Approved in 9 mins :)

God has a better plan for us. Keep the faith!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I bought my pressure cooker at the Indian grocery store here and it has a whistle. My advice is to don't buy anything that you can buy here.

K-1 Visa

9-22-2008 - mailed I-129F

9-29-2008 - Received NOA1 in mail

1-09-2009 - Received NOA2 e-mail notification

2-09-2009 - Packet 3 Received

2-28-2009 - Packet 4 Received

3-02-2009 - Medical

3-23-2009 - Interview, 221g

3-31-2009 - Returned 221g additional evidence request

4-08-2009 - Received visa!!!

4-19-2009 - POE

5-09-2009 - Wedding

AOS

7-03-2009 - mailed AOS

7-10-2009 - Check Cashed, - NOA1 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

7-22-2009 - transferred to CSC (rcvd notice in mail 7/27)

8-11-2009 - Biometrics appt scheduled (rcvd in mail on 7/18)

8-25-2009 - I-765 & I-131 approved

12-03-2009 - GC approval email

12-10-2009 - GC rcvd in mail!

ROC

10-12-2011 - mailed ROC

10-14-2011 - NOA1

11-07-2011 - Bio Appt

02-27-2012 - GC approval email

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.