JeniLovesMarwan

Very confused about how to get started

3 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen and I recently came to Egypt to live with my Egyptian husband. I planned on staying for 6 months because I thought we could begin all things and then he would hopefully be able to come back with me to the US after these 6 months. However, when we went to the American embassey here in Cairo they told us I have to live here for 6 months and then we can begin all things. I want to know which would be the fastest way to start all things now when I am here in Egypt and send all things to the US or wait until after I am here in Egypt for 6 months and then start all things. The embassey has told us it would be easier for me to stay here for 6 months and then begin all things but I just dont understand the difference. I thought if I came here to Egypt for 6 months it would be quicker but if I have to wait 6 months and then start all things it could still be like 1 year. Also I am not sure how to send all things to US if I am staying in Egypt. Can anyone help me please.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It sounds like you want to pursue DCF. In order to qualify, the USC spouse has to be resident in the foreign country for a period of 6 months (it may be less in other countries) before filing the I-130. So the consulate is correct, you cannot start the process until you are there for 6 months.

I'm not sure about what the rules are for Egypt. Sometimes you need some kind of document saying you are a resident, not a tourist. Being there on a tourist visa with no residency papers may disqualify you from DCF. Someone with experience doing DCF in Egypt can probably clear this up for you.

Good luck :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If you want to start the process now, you can simply file your petition/s to USCIS from Egypt. You will however need a US address to receive correspondence from them.

It's up to you at this point. Wait the 6 months then do it through the consulate, or file now and wait for uscis and nvc to process while you are there with the hubby.

You may want to post in the ME/NA forum as there are a few ladies who did DCF(direct consular filing) in Egypt. They may offer some experience and advise.

The wait at USCIS may be just as or longer than just waiting until you meet the resident requirements and filing there.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.