MissAmericanPie

Denied entry at Rainbow Bridge

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

In a nutshell, I am American, my boyfriend is Canadian. After 5 years of on/off/on again relationship, he quit his job and planned on staying the summer with me to see if we could make this work. He was driving here (Ohio)from Toronto earlier this week and was detained at the border. He was truthful in telling them he was staying 2 months. The border agent kept digging and digging, asking who he was visiting, who I was, am I a friend, a girlfriend, where we met, the usual questions. Unfortunatley he told them we met in college 5 years ago, rather than online as he was afraid the story of meeting online didn't sound valid. More unfortunate is the border agent called me to verify this information, and not knowing he had told them we were school friends, I told the agent the truth. The agent denied him access saying he didn't believe he was going to return to Canada ever and gave him a list of conditions to bring with him next time should he decide to try again. He confessed to the agent that it was his hope that we could get married at some point, but wasn't the initial purpose of the trip, it was merely to spend a couple of months together to sort it all out. We don't know what to do now. Do we attempt for him to buy a plane ticket instead, bring all the documents that are listed and hope someone shows him some mercy? Can he post a bond to guarantee return? Any insight would be most appreciated, thanks!

Sorry to be blunt but to outright lie to a CO is deserving of denial. The CO had every reason to be suspicious and this event will remain on record.

You might have better luck going to see him than the other way around now. Otherwise, allow some time to pass and then have him attempt again, folliowing the instructions he was given. I'm sure he'd have the same relative success whether he drives or flies, as he's now 'in the system'.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Sorry to be blunt but to outright lie to a CO is deserving of denial. The CO had every reason to be suspicious and this event will remain on record.

You might have better luck going to see him than the other way around now. Otherwise, allow some time to pass and then have him attempt again, folliowing the instructions he was given. I'm sure he'd have the same relative success whether he drives or flies, as he's now 'in the system'.

Jen

Yes, I assure you he's crucified himself over and over for the poor judgement and continues to do so. The point of flying is that is gives a "return" date which is on the list of items they'd like to see.

Jen

Yes, I assure you he's crucified himself over and over for the poor judgement and continues to do so. The point of flying is that is gives a "return" date which is on the list of items they'd like to see.

Yes, and of course, any other documentation proving his continued ties to Canada.... letter from employer, lease agreement, etc...

Good luck!

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
In a nutshell, I am American, my boyfriend is Canadian. After 5 years of on/off/on again relationship, he quit his job and planned on staying the summer with me to see if we could make this work. He was driving here (Ohio)from Toronto earlier this week and was detained at the border. He was truthful in telling them he was staying 2 months. The border agent kept digging and digging, asking who he was visiting, who I was, am I a friend, a girlfriend, where we met, the usual questions. Unfortunatley he told them we met in college 5 years ago, rather than online as he was afraid the story of meeting online didn't sound valid. More unfortunate is the border agent called me to verify this information, and not knowing he had told them we were school friends, I told the agent the truth. The agent denied him access saying he didn't believe he was going to return to Canada ever and gave him a list of conditions to bring with him next time should he decide to try again. He confessed to the agent that it was his hope that we could get married at some point, but wasn't the initial purpose of the trip, it was merely to spend a couple of months together to sort it all out. We don't know what to do now. Do we attempt for him to buy a plane ticket instead, bring all the documents that are listed and hope someone shows him some mercy? Can he post a bond to guarantee return? Any insight would be most appreciated, thanks!

Lying was definitely a very big mistake.

However, since they provided a list of conditions to bring with him next time should he decide to try again, perhaps if he meets those conditions they will let him through.

I would imagine the episode has been noted, and could very well be refused entry again, but appears there would be a slight chance for success.

Of course, it would be easier for you to visit him from now on but if that isn't possible, all he can do is try...there are certainly no guarantees (but there never is).

Buying a plane ticket instead or posting a bond will do no good (trying an alternate method of entry could be even worse as it will look as if he is trying to circumvent since the last method didn't work).

Best of luck to you and hope things work out alright.

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Was he photographed and fingerprinted?

My Canadian boyfriend was when we tried to cross at the Rainbow Bridge last December. I'm a dual and was moving back to the U.S. after living in Canada for decades. But the official didn't believe my boyfriend was merely helping me and would only be staying in the States about 3 months. He was denied.

We drove back to Toronto immediatey and gathered documentation. A few hours later, we were back at the border with 95% of what was on the checklist. They let us through. Three months later, we made sure he used the Air Canada ticket he showed as evidence of his intent to return to Canada.

We were married during his visit and he is waiting in Canada for a K3 visa. There are questions on forms coming up about ever having been denied entry to the U.S. I'd like to answer "no," since we merely had to gather more documents and crossed the same day. But since he was fingerprinted, it may be best to answer "yes," saying we turned arround for more documents.

It must be difficult to have this change of plans, but you can always go on to Plan B, as others have suggested. The bigger issue is whether the border incident may come back to haunt, since he may somehow be "on file."

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Other Timeline

even if he does manage to gather up all the information they've asked him to, he could very well be denied entry again. He and you may want to consider this eventuality and have him drive across rather than fly. If he's denied entry at an airport, he loses the money he's spent on the airfare, no refund for denial of entry.

If he's quit his job in order to stay in the States with you a couple of months, he is likely to be denied again. You may want to go up to Toronto for a visit if you can.

Another option is to petition for a K1 Fiance visa, but if you're not sure yet you want to be married, its probably not the right option at the moment.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I can say from my own personal experience at being denied, the fact that they gave him a list of conditions is a good sign. In my case they threatened to ban me.

I would do what the others have suggested. Gather all the evidence on the form, make sure to have as much evidence as possible to prove his ties to Canada.

I recommend flying instead of driving, because if he's denied at least the airport is in Toronto.

When I was denied, I told the officer the truth,, was going to az to check out universities. Apparently I need a student visa just to see a campus. Anyhow, 6 months later, I went through Pearson international, the officer who checked me didn't even look at any other documentation but the visa. So I'm saying be prepared as possible (I had certified school letters from my principals, teachers, family, and bank accounts showing a whole ####### load of money - given to me by my now husband's gparents, took me 6 mos to gather all the goods, and they didn't even look at it...). I wouldn't be surprised if this happens to him, but hey maybe it's the wad of certified legal looking paper I had underneath my arm that was proof enough.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Rainbow bridge is very difficult to cross the day I got married they almost didn't let me through. I always cross the Peace bridge and am honest. They let me through every time.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Timeline

Thanks all for the input.

Yes, he was photographed and fingerprinted. We're thinking the flight option because it gives a "return" date which is on the list of things they'd like to see. We initially thought him driving back through the same border to plea his case was the right way to go, rather than leaving it up to an agent that isn't familiar with what happened,but it's a toss up really, there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways. I can get a plane ticket with my frequent flier miles for him so we wouldn't be out money if he was denied.

Does anyone know what comes up in the "system" once you've been denied and try again? Does it list the entire case or just the fact he was denied? Is it left up to the current officer to interpret what happened or is everything right there for them to see?

Thanks again!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm wondering if they recorded the Canadian passport and his name will come up on their radar the next time. Even with a pile of evidence showing he intends to return, they may consider him high risk and deny him, based on the previous denial. It's always up to the discretion of the officer you happen to get.

MissAmericanPie, you and I have similar stories. We each had a long running relationship with a Canuck and had not yet accepted a marriage proposal when we tried to cross as a couple. Both boyfriends were sniffed out as potential illegal immigrants and were denied.

At this point, it may be better for you to act as if you intend to marry and petition for his immgration. Don't do anything that might jeopadize the process. Use your points to visit him instead of vice versa. You could apply for K1 now, and if the relationship doesn't work out, simply withdraw it. At least you'll be ahead of the game.

If you need to live together to see if this relationship is the real thing, do it in Canada. Or Mexico. Or anyplace where you won't risk having him denied a visa to the U.S. Hedge your bets and protect your future.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had the same problem but coming into Canada, I am the USC and my husband is a permanent resident of Canada..When I crossed at the Rainbow bridge in Jan I was with my mother coming into Canada...I could not believe how I was haressed..The CO did not think I was going to leave Canada and go back to the USA. I tried explaining that we were in the process of the K3 he wanted to see the papers I showed him he still didn't believe me. So he called my husband ask him if he was married? What is his wife's name? where did we get married? After speaking to my husband the CO gave my a paper and said I had to leave Canada in 6 days..And when leaving Canada I had to bring the paper back to the CO's at the crossing of my choice.They didn't say two words to my mother she could have stayed upto 180 days no problems. So I left in 5 days, On my way out I went back to the Rainbow bridge gave them the paper so they could note that I was leaving Canada the CO walked out side and watched me cross over.. I went back to Canada one week later crossed at rainbow again the CO asks whats your Citizenship? why are you coming into canada I said to see my husband..The CO tells me go on have a nice visit..I mean go figure, It is just by luck and draw on both sides I think.

Michelle

EAD:

Mailed EAD packet to Chicago: 08-01-2006

Chicago recieved EAD packet: 08-07-2006

Recieved NOA1: 08-12-2006

BIO APPT: 08-24-2006

Touched: 08-26-2006

Touched: 09-11-2006

Touched: 09-12-2006

EAD APPROVED: 09-15-2006

Email notice (3) recieved: 09-18-2006

EAD Card recieved: 09-20-2006

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.