quirky

Security Clearance job

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Sometimes a high level security clearance will prompt a more complete detailed vetting that adds time to the petition approval process. Usually it makes no difference but I've never seen anything to indicate it speeds the process in any way.

I would not have expected the fact that the petitioner has already passed security checks for their job to speed up the process in any way, but I still wonder why some people here (and I've seen such statements in other threads) claim that it might slow it down. I can't imagine why, as the person in question would not be in their job if they hadn't passed security checks already.

The significant foreign contact and prospects of a foreign spouse sometimes prompt even more extensive vetting than that used to get the security clearance in the first place. This will vary with multiple factors not the least of which is the country from which the spouse or fiance(e) will be coming.

They would not do extra checks at the USCIS stage period. If you have a clearance it assures you that you will not come back with any hits in the background check, and I would surmise that it may even happen quicker or it may actually cause the FBI to not run your name through all of the databases, since you have already been checked and cleared through the databases they are looking through, of course this would depend on the level of clearance you have.

What will happen, is as soon as you have foreign contact you are required to report it to your security office. The security office will go through a series of questions and depending on the answers will decide what, if anything they need to do. Best to keep them in the loop let them know when you file for the visa, and just keep the SFO apprised of the situation. It really is no big deal. They may do some checking of your spouse at that time, or they may just wait until the 5 year update for your clearance. Those factors are determined by the answers to the questions you give when telling them about your spouse.

Thanks for this topic, I was wondering the same thing... I think there are too many factors (where your spouse is from, what kind of clearance you have, etc. etc.) that affect each person's case for there to be a definite answer... But I'll surely post anything if my case is faster or slower than the Afghan K1's that are waiting with me :)

Good luck, and definitely keep thinking positively.. I can't imagine a security clearance doing anything but helping validate our requests, so that's what really matters! Time is relative :)

That was my feeling to, the government has already determined you to be a truthful and honest person, and having a clearance you are less likely to commit fraud (I did not say people would not, I just said less likely, that is the perception)

Cases get selected for detailed processing for various reasons. The petitioner's involvment (past or present) with certain sensitive job classifications is one of them. Detailed processing takes extra time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
If the USC spouse has a security Clearance job, do you all think that the process will be faster?

well i would hope not...unless of coarse you work for USCIS, then i'm sure things would move right along...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It can totally mess up you visa. My petition was running along nicely until the interview. Then the CO insisted that Joseph tell her details of my job. Not where I work , not what my degree in in but details. She basically told him tell her details or no visa. So we ended up with no visa and I ended up reporting attempted espoinage because her actions fit the reportable profile of attempted blackmail for classified data.

I guess the up side is that he shouldn't see that woman at the embassy again, except maybe cleaning toliets.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Please don't try to scare the OP (or anyone else) by generalizing where no generalization is appropriate. This obviously depends very much on the consulate you are dealing with. What does pushbrk like to say about the levels of fraud USCIS knows? 1. Low 2. High 3. Nigeria...

Plus, "security clearance job" and "classified job" are two different things, as far as I know. My fiancé, for instance, is simply a professional working for a civil government agency, and he had to pass security clearance for that, but his work is not classified.

I had only been wondering about this topic because I read somewhere that a "past fingerprinting history" with the FBI could prompt extra checks. We are not sure if he has been fingerprinted when he was checked for his job.

It can totally mess up you visa. My petition was running along nicely until the interview. Then the CO insisted that Joseph tell her details of my job. Not where I work , not what my degree in in but details. She basically told him tell her details or no visa. So we ended up with no visa and I ended up reporting attempted espoinage because her actions fit the reportable profile of attempted blackmail for classified data.

I guess the up side is that he shouldn't see that woman at the embassy again, except maybe cleaning toliets.

Edited by Philosykos

Timeline

I am not scaring anyone. The OP asked for information about the effects on having a security clearance on the visa process. Mine is probably the worse case example. Especially when I have heard about the scammers laughing at the "real" applicants who are getting denied while they visit the embassy and walk out in minutes with their prepaid visas. The Lagos consulte is as corrupt as they come so yes there are issues getting a visa there. It is not like white couples going through white embassies. I know people will whine about the truth saying that embassies don't look at color of the couples or the man being younger but Lagos does. If USCIS really cared about the high level of fraud there they would have a better process not a corrupt one.

Please don't try to scare the OP (or anyone else) by generalizing where no generalization is appropriate. This obviously depends very much on the consulate you are dealing with. What does pushbrk like to say about the levels of fraud USCIS knows? 1. Low 2. High 3. Nigeria...

Plus, "security clearance job" and "classified job" are two different things, as far as I know. My fiancé, for instance, is simply a professional working for a civil government agency, and he had to pass security clearance for that, but his work is not classified.

I had only been wondering about this topic because I read somewhere that a "past fingerprinting history" with the FBI could prompt extra checks. We are not sure if he has been fingerprinted when he was checked for his job.

Marriage Dec 2009

Timeline

I would refrain from a generalization, and the CO does not fit the profile for attempted espionage, for one it was not being directed at you, and two if your husband did know detail information about your work, then it would have been your husband that fit the profile for trying to extract information from you. I am sure being from a high-fraud visa country did not help. I highly doubt she will be demoted based on your case. Also if you did tell your husband you work with classified work, you are the one that has put yourself in a position of compromise. No one should be telling a foreign national that they have a security clearance or work in a classified capacity. Always deal in generalizations, for instance, if you do classified software work, you just tell them you work in software. This should have been covered each time you have submitted your notification of foreign travel, and/or your quarterly refresher training.

Timeline

I reviewed with my security what I can and cannot say. What he knew or didn't know was well within the guidelines. In fact I talked to work before explaining more to him about what had happened because he didn't understand. And yes it does fit. She actually told him that he would not get a visa without telling her details of my work. So there was an attempt to gather information in return for something of value ( the visa and us being together) even if it was indirectly aimed at me though him. The decision to file the report was made by my company not me as I also went to them after the interview to report the outcome. My fiancé knows what my degrees are in and the name of the company I work for and the number of years of employment and that it has to do with computers and that I can't talk about details. That was all he should ever need to know. That was all the consulate should have asked. To get a visa I have to provide my tax return data that reveals company , position and income. There is the letter of employment where the company chooses how much about my work to reveal. Being with a foreign national it is important to keep you company informed but actually there is not greater need to conceal your work than there is to a US citizen. Uncleared is uncleared citizen or not.

Marriage Dec 2009

I have a high lever clearance and work for the government and my petition and entire process took the average time others that applied the 129F at the same time as I did. my fiancee ids from the Phililppines and she is here now and we are getting amrried next week. I do not think it made any difference.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I realize I may have been wrong about the meaning of "security clearance". If it always has something to do with accessing classified information, then it probably doesn't apply to my fiancé. I guess I am talking about a background check, probably similar to what USCIS does.

Timeline
Being with a foreign national it is important to keep you company informed but actually there is not greater need to conceal your work than there is to a US citizen. Uncleared is uncleared citizen or not.

You are partly correct, it is important to keep your Security Office informed, however you should also not tell foreign nationals that you work on classified projects. If you are in software you just tell them you write applications for company X. Remember your Opsec briefings.

Timeline

I am well aware of the briefing and NISPOM. IF your stance is true I take it your wife has no clue what you do and your work is aware of your close and continued contact with a foreign national.

Marriage Dec 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I am well aware of the briefing and NISPOM. IF your stance is true I take it your wife has no clue what you do and your work is aware of your close and continued contact with a foreign national.

pretty much. feel free to ask her, she's on vj.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

As a matter of fact, all she knows is I work for a software company, knows my position, but has no idea as to the nature of my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.