amour2008

removing condition due to abuse

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I came in the US as a F-1. I got married and recieved my temp greencard. My husband became very abusif and i cannot take it anymore.

He assaulted me twicw the first time i went to a shelter and we decided to work things out.

He assualted me again this year and i called the police. he pleaded guilty and went to jail for 3 days. nI am currently at a shelter and i will be getting a home next week.

I have hired a divorce attorney who cost me 900 buck and she promise to help with immigration but now she is asking more money which i do not have . Can i send all documents now by myself? I am to renew the card by May which is three months before it expires . Can i send every thin now without the lawyer? I have police reports, hospital documents, shelter documents, 2 leases, taxes filled joint,( only for one year), a letter from my counselor in school, two affidavits ( which i can get more) what else can i add do i stand a change without a lawyer. The divorce groung are based on abuse

please let me know

Filed: Other Timeline

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your situation!

It seems to me, you have good documents to prove the abuse, but make sure your documents cover your not only the abuse aspect of the marriage but the marriage experience throughout. By this I mean, pictures, activities during the time that you two were happy together.

As far as decreasing your lawyer costs, if you feel that you don't need guidance on what and how to file I-751, you can submit it yourself without lawyer- reporesentation. And, if they contact you for an RFE or Interview, you can hire a lawyer to represent you. Some lawyers are willing to do consultations, which means consluting you on the case but not representing you, for a lesser cost.

Hope this was helpful.

Sorry about your situation.

Yes you can do remove the conditions on your green card by your self, after you get your divorce decree. keep all the documents you have since you gonna need to send a copy of them with your application

Good luck

and God bless

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

best advice is to keep reading on how to do it... and file it yourself if you don't have the money.

since you are in school, i presume that you can follow instructions and have english proficiency.

i've realized that people here at VJ are very helpful too. so just ask away here I'm sure somebody here will be able to at least point you to the right directions.

sorry about your situation, but i'm glad you have the right mind to get out of a bad situation. good luck to you.

I came in the US as a F-1. I got married and recieved my temp greencard. My husband became very abusif and i cannot take it anymore.

He assaulted me twicw the first time i went to a shelter and we decided to work things out.

He assualted me again this year and i called the police. he pleaded guilty and went to jail for 3 days. nI am currently at a shelter and i will be getting a home next week.

I have hired a divorce attorney who cost me 900 buck and she promise to help with immigration but now she is asking more money which i do not have . Can i send all documents now by myself? I am to renew the card by May which is three months before it expires . Can i send every thin now without the lawyer? I have police reports, hospital documents, shelter documents, 2 leases, taxes filled joint,( only for one year), a letter from my counselor in school, two affidavits ( which i can get more) what else can i add do i stand a change without a lawyer. The divorce groung are based on abuse

please let me know

You can remove conditions by yourself, your husband is not needed, but you have to be legally divorced before you can do that. You need to have the divorce first. How long does it take to get a divorce in your state? As soon as you have your divorce decree in hand, you can apply to remove conditions to your residency by yourself.. Just read through this site and the guides here, follow the instructions to apply.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Timeline

From reading the instructions the divorce procedure has to be started but not necessary completed before i can apply? My husband is not going to sign because he wants to work things out. i am scare it will take two more months to have a defeat judgment and i cannot wait everyhing should be sent before May 1st. Also how can i contact the people at VJ? Do i need to write statements?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

File yourself. I have never used a lawyer for any petitions/applications, even I-360. Good luck!

01/08/1999 - entered on J-1

01/06/2000 - entered on J-1

08/2000 - applied for K-1

08/01/2001 - entered on K-1

10/30/2001 - filed for AOS

04/25/2002 - interview (was missed)

03/01/2003 - I-360 filed

12/19/2005 - I-360 approved

05/14/2006 - I-485 interview

08/26/2006 - GC received

I'm sorry that you have to go through such pain but God will not give you more than what you can handle.

It's good that you get a divorce lawyer since it can be lengthy and complicated. But removing conditions is pretty straightforward. Like above comments, if you're English proficient you can do it by yourself. From the look of it, you have all the paperwork and evidence. Just get that divorce paper and you should be good to go.

AOS

09-29-06 : File date

10-02-06 : NOA

10-26-06 : Biometrics appointment

06-28-07 : Interview Date <== Approved Yippee!!!

07-10-07 : Card rcv'd

I-751

04-14-09 : Mail date

04-16-09 : Mail rcv'd

04-17-09 : NOA date

04-29-09 : Check cashed!!!

05-02-09 : NOA arrived

05-26-09 : Biometrics done

09-04-09 : Approval letter arrived!!!

~~ When will my card arrive? ~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.