Lisa and Ian

April 2009 K-1 Filers

3,664 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, Sending you guys all my prayers and happy thoughts that everything goes well.

Endoftheroad-regarding SSN's, this is what VJ says:

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN.

If you go to the Working and Traveling Prior to Green card forum, you'll read some stories about people waiting until after they got married who had a nightmare of a time getting their SSN's. Who knows, but I'm going to try to do this ASAP.

Starlight-you're right-the best part is that Lamine is with me now. Nothing else really matters. All this other stuff is just formalities. I'm so grateful to be with him again. I hope you get that NOA2 soon, soon, soon!

Allie-good luck with the medical! Or rather---Nigel, good luck with the medical today!

Rhiann-hope you get that P3 soon.

Try to hang in there, guys. I hope everyone is well and that you all get some good news soon!

Thanks for that! I'm putting it into my VJ notebook. :) Did you make it to the other office yet?

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Endoftheroad-regarding SSN's, this is what VJ says:

I'm not sure who on VJ said that (do you have a link?) but in the case of name changes etc. it is advisable to get the marriage papers done ASAP then get the SS#.

VJ Guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

Edited by endoftheroad

moving right along

I keep wondering about that.

When is it really best to get the SSN?

It seems redudnant to get it before marriage, marry then apply for it.

So what really is the best way?

And I got my P3 today after waiting 12 days for it. Sending it back tomorrow or Wednesday.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

I guess I'm kind of lucky I ended up being away during the whole P3 arrival.. then I wasn't waiting and waiting anxiously for it. lol It took 2 weeks to get mine. It's not bad really... if they can send out P3s in two weeks they should be able to schedule a damn interview!

Anyways.. I dunno about the SSN now... the SSN rules vary state to state (in terms of needing one for marriage)... I'll maybe look around online if I feel like it tomorrow and see what I find. Either way, I'll be pissed if I have to wait 2 weeks after moving just to be able to get an SSN to get married... I don't need one to get the marriage license, so I don't see why I should have to get one before the wedding just to redo it after wards in my married name.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So typical, Nigel went to medical office #1 on Basil street and it was the one on Bentnick Mansions he had to go to, i bloody told him but noooo...but he made it to the right one a bit late but they were ok about it...had the famous blonde doctor, he said she was ok..not gruff or nasty...speaking of nasty, lol..i said to him..hey did you mail our packet 3? He goes...oh i lost my bag on the tube! OMG i had a cow for a second and he was like....ONLY joking luv....LOL...and i got the tracking number so i will check on it later....Damn that man likes to tease me! lol...so we will see how it goes for them to send packet 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Timeline
So typical, Nigel went to medical office #1 on Basil street and it was the one on Bentnick Mansions he had to go to, i bloody told him but noooo...but he made it to the right one a bit late but they were ok about it...had the famous blonde doctor, he said she was ok..not gruff or nasty...speaking of nasty, lol..i said to him..hey did you mail our packet 3? He goes...oh i lost my bag on the tube! OMG i had a cow for a second and he was like....ONLY joking luv....LOL...and i got the tracking number so i will check on it later....Damn that man likes to tease me! lol...so we will see how it goes for them to send packet 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Congrats (good one Nigel! :rofl: )!

moving right along

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

SSN nightmare

SSN issues

endoftheroad-we actually posted the exact same quote--I had just put in the first paragraph and you pasted the entire entry.

Here are a couple of links to topics talking about SSN's and the importance of getting them ASAP. The reason you should try to get it prior to getting married is that there are lots of people who have had a nightmare of a time dealing with poorly trained workers who say that since you are married and you came here on a fiance visa, that you no longer have any valid documents stating your right to be here and you must wait until AOS and/or EAD. I've been reading every SSN story I can find on VJ, and this seems to be the consensus. You might have no problems, but you might have lots of them. I'm just not going to risk it.

Anyways-Allie, I'm glad that everything worked out with the medical despite Nigel's forgetfulness :) Lamine pulled something similar with me and I almost had a heart attack on the spot.

We're giving it another shot at the SSN office tomorrow (in another town), but I'm not too concerned. I know it'll work out one way or another. As Starlight said, Lamine is here with me, and I really can't ask for anything else :)

event.png

Hm. So I guess I will get my SSN card before marriage.

I doubt we'll get married within the first 2 weeks.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

Haven't posted here for some time -- I was in Holland having a great time with my fiance. Now I am back, but hope Maarten is coming here very soon.

We finally got our interview date: October 19th! I see we are already on the endoftheroad's list :) thank you. We did not have the medical yet. The letter from the consulate said to call after Sep 29th to scheduler the medical, so Maarten will call tomorrow.

I see attaya_girl, the fun never ends -- sorry for your troubles with SSN.

Everybody: congratulations with the progress. I see lots of things happened for the past 2 weeks. Starlight, I hope you get your approval very very soon!

-Anna

K1:

NOA1: 04/06/2009

NOA2: 07/23/2009

POE: 10/25/2009

Marriage: 10/30/2009

AOS & EAD:

Date sent: 11/23/2009

AOS & EAD NOA1: 12/01/2009

Biometrics done: 12/24/2009

Received RFE for I-693, although we included I-693 with AOS.

Replied to RFE with full medical

EAD approved: 01/22/2010

AOS Interview scheduled: 03/08/2010 Approved couple of days later

Hello Everyone!

Haven't posted here for some time -- I was in Holland having a great time with my fiance. Now I am back, but hope Maarten is coming here very soon.

We finally got our interview date: October 19th! I see we are already on the endoftheroad's list :) thank you. We did not have the medical yet. The letter from the consulate said to call after Sep 29th to scheduler the medical, so Maarten will call tomorrow.

I see attaya_girl, the fun never ends -- sorry for your troubles with SSN.

Everybody: congratulations with the progress. I see lots of things happened for the past 2 weeks. Starlight, I hope you get your approval very very soon!

-Anna

Wow, your interview is soon then!

Good luck with it!

Timeline
Hm. So I guess I will get my SSN card before marriage.

I doubt we'll get married within the first 2 weeks.

We sure as heck are! I'm gonna give him a week's rest...(haha ya right)...and the next week we're off to Vegas baby! I'll be changing my name at the social security office the same time as him applying so that I can change my drivers licence and then everything else after that...cause #1 they want your name to match your SS# on stuff when you start that process! So obviously I have to be married for that!! So i'm not gonna waste no time! We're gonna be busy, so many things to change names on too! I.D, bills, work stuff, bank...then still working on AOS things and still working full time! But I dont care, i'll have him with me....

b2gel0s1sc.png

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Timeline

Ok here i am yapping again, why are some people "waiting" for package 3 when they can get it off the consulate's website like us UK filers? I had packet 3 printed waaaaaay before we were even out of the NVC......

b2gel0s1sc.png

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Timeline
SSN nightmare

SSN issues

endoftheroad-we actually posted the exact same quote--I had just put in the first paragraph and you pasted the entire entry.

Here are a couple of links to topics talking about SSN's and the importance of getting them ASAP. The reason you should try to get it prior to getting married is that there are lots of people who have had a nightmare of a time dealing with poorly trained workers who say that since you are married and you came here on a fiance visa, that you no longer have any valid documents stating your right to be here and you must wait until AOS and/or EAD. I've been reading every SSN story I can find on VJ, and this seems to be the consensus. You might have no problems, but you might have lots of them. I'm just not going to risk it.

The reason the two links you gave had problems didn't have anything to do with getting a SS# before marriage, they had other problems (wrong applications etc.).

It is always advisable to ask for a supervisor if you have a problem at that office. It is always advisable to wait 14 days after POE before applying and then to do it ASAP.

But, hey, whatever works best for you and Lamine and helps you two with your current problem!

moving right along

SSN nightmare

SSN issues

Anyways-Allie, I'm glad that everything worked out with the medical despite Nigel's forgetfulness :) Lamine pulled something similar with me and I almost had a heart attack on the spot.

We're giving it another shot at the SSN office tomorrow (in another town), but I'm not too concerned. I know it'll work out one way or another. As Starlight said, Lamine is here with me, and I really can't ask for anything else :)

It would be good to have an SSN for adding your SO to bank accounts, etc., too.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Ok... I'm just putting this out there... I will be pissed if I have to wait a month after POE to get married... 2 weeks to wait to apply for SSN and 2 weeks to wait for the SSN to arrive (I'm generalizing)... I might as well completely forget at all about making ANY plans, and god only knows when my parents can actually try to make plans to drive the 2500 miles over to make it for the wedding, not to mention move the rest of my stuff with them. No... we will be getting married ASAP. I still don't have a CLUE when my interview might be, so I think it will be down to the wire in order to get some sort of wedding date that isn't just some random Tuesday in February or some ####### like that. I'm not going to go through that hell and anticipation, only to have to wait for some unknown length of time to get my SSN and then get married, especially since I don't need it for the license.

Sorry, but this part of the process (aka, waiting for the f'ing interview) has angered me INFINITELY more than the little waiting for NOA2...

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.