MsZ

Finally! Activating his Visa Thursday

20 posts in this topic

He's only had his visa since December <g> but now that the house is taken care of and all of the other obligations he wanted handled are through, Thursday is the big day. With truck full of "stuff" and a loose inventory, any last minute things I should make sure my DH has in hand?

He's got his packet, etc.

He'll be driving a U-haul, possibly pulling a miata behind it. (We'll return to p/u his truck on the weekend.)

He's been bringing things down since December and that's been cool w/the guards. Only got minorly hassled once, telling him he needed to activate his visa right there and then. Other than that, the US guards at Thousand Islands have been wonderful. They're even easier on me when I come home. As soon as I answer their "who is moving where" question with "his visa is approved and he's moving down the 1st week of April" they happily send me on my way.

He'll be off to get his social security number and then his company will switch him over to the US. Do NY insurance, register his cars and get his license.

Woo hoo!

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Note: could have activated the visa on the first entry after getting it, a CR-1 or IR-1 gets an I-551 stamp upon entry, unless you were simply holding out and activating it AFTER 2 years of marriage.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Nah. We held out for tax reasons. We won't be married 2 years until September.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

DS-230 sent 10/2

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No suggestions as I am not at that stage yet...soon though. Just wishing you best wishes for the future. (F)

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Thank you!

This is so hard on my husband though. He's Canadian. He's leaving his family. He's sad and happy and sad. I sure hope he doesn't end up hating it here. He says he loves it. He always wants to be here. But it is different when there's no Canadian "home" to return to.

DS-230 sent 10/2

Timeline
Thank you!

This is so hard on my husband though. He's Canadian. He's leaving his family. He's sad and happy and sad. I sure hope he doesn't end up hating it here. He says he loves it. He always wants to be here. But it is different when there's no Canadian "home" to return to.

There are some days when I hate it down here, most I don't! It is really hard to leave and neither my USC husband nor I realized how hard it would be. Be strong for him and patient because he'll have both good and bad days. There are some days (only a handful) where I thought I'd made a mistake, but they pass and I rememebr that I'm here with my husband and that's a great thing.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline
Thank you!

Congratulations, MsZ. We certainly understand what your husband's going through. I know I was a terrible mess when I left, and it was definitely a struggle for the first year of my being here. I still have my moments but I also love living here and have met some really great people, so the second year has been much nicer than the first. lol

iagree.gif

I believe his car has the appropriate stickers already. (Gotta bug him about that again though. I haven't brought it up since last week I think and now he's got a million other things on his mind. Thanks!!)

To make the final packing worse... he lost a crown this morning!! My poor sweetie...

We've discussed it and he agrees that whenever he feels the need to go back for a while, he just has to tell us and go. I told him not to let it go and let it go and let it go, but to act on those feelings sooner so that he doesn't find himself depressed. We're only 6.5 hours away so he can hop in the car and go. He doesn't need to "explain" it to me. He just needs to take care of himself emotionally.

It probably would have been easier had things worked out the way we "dreamed" them -- he'd move here and we'd sell my house and buy a house together. But as fate would have it, Pfizer is acquiring my company and so the employment outlook is murky at best and buying a new house probably wouldn't be the smartest idea. Who knows where we'll end up! A new house would have kept him busy for a while, though. A good distraction.

Oooh! Shoot! I wanted to buy a Canadian flag and didn't yet. I wonder if I can get one expedited. I better get on that pronto!

DS-230 sent 10/2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some have had NO luck with just the sticker!! All depends on the POE guy!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

This whole post gave me the warm fuzzies. Wishing you all the very best! (F)

I believe his car has the appropriate stickers already. (Gotta bug him about that again though. I haven't brought it up since last week I think and now he's got a million other things on his mind. Thanks!!)

To make the final packing worse... he lost a crown this morning!! My poor sweetie...

We've discussed it and he agrees that whenever he feels the need to go back for a while, he just has to tell us and go. I told him not to let it go and let it go and let it go, but to act on those feelings sooner so that he doesn't find himself depressed. We're only 6.5 hours away so he can hop in the car and go. He doesn't need to "explain" it to me. He just needs to take care of himself emotionally.

It probably would have been easier had things worked out the way we "dreamed" them -- he'd move here and we'd sell my house and buy a house together. But as fate would have it, Pfizer is acquiring my company and so the employment outlook is murky at best and buying a new house probably wouldn't be the smartest idea. Who knows where we'll end up! A new house would have kept him busy for a while, though. A good distraction.

Oooh! Shoot! I wanted to buy a Canadian flag and didn't yet. I wonder if I can get one expedited. I better get on that pronto!

OK. Flag ordered. Whew!

RE car stickers, if it doesn't work out, we'll do the import later I guess. But we'll let you all know how that goes!

He he. One time I had one of those fake Maple Leaf tattoos and I put it somewhere provocative, but when he saw it he jumped, like, "Aah! You have something on you!!!"

Didn't have the effect I was shooting for, ya know? <g>

Edited by MsZ

DS-230 sent 10/2

Timeline

That rocks Let us know where you find one. I tried Crappy Tire and a few other places back home, but I can't find anything better then the cheapo nylon type which will fade and we don't want that

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I met my father-in-law for the first time on Canada Day in Seattle. When I arrived, we went outside for a beer and to talk, and he had hung the Canadian flag on the flagpole. I've always like him. :luv: Something very special when someone recognizes your nationality.

:lol: MsZ - guess it wasn't quite the effect you'd expected.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.