domegirl1978

Wanting to visit fiance in Florida while K1 is pending? What do I need?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! I know that there are a lot of posts about this but I wanted to get the low down from Canadians who have travelled by plane while the K1 is pending.

I would be going by plane from Montreal to Florida for one week. I would have a return ticket of course and I would not be checking any baggage, only taking a little bag on the plane.

I can bring the NOA1, a copy of the I-129 so that they see we have filed for the K1 and a letter from my employer stating that I still have my job here to come back to and have not yet resigned or anything like that to prove I still have my work ties.

I have my Canadian license, medicare and all my Canadian credit cards as well.

What else would be proof of ties to Canada that would help me out just in case?

I'm pretty sure I could get a letter from my cell phone company stating I have a contract with them until January of 2010. I don't know if this would help. I live with my grandparents so I don't have any lease or anything like that.

I just don't want to get screwed at the airport. I've heard some horror stories and I would want to be completely prepared.

And of course I would not lie at all and be very truthful and say I am going to visit my fiance.

Thanks to all who respond. I really appreciate it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Well I suppose I can answer this quite well as I had just come back from visiting my fiance for 2 months and had to go through Customs at Pearson. Here is what I can say:

All of those thing you have are great but in the end it all depends on the CBP guy you get. If he wants to be a jerk he can and just say, "sorry! Can't come in!!" regardless of all the proof you have of you coming back, he can.

What you have though is as much as you can have and sounds good. My advice: don't get into too much detail with the first guy. If you don't create a level of suspicion with the guy at the counter, you will have no need to be sent back. DO NOT LIE. But, do not give more info then needed. (If with the first guy you mention boyfriend OR FIANCE ESPECIALLY then you will most likely be sent in the back for more interviews). I just said I was going to visit my boyfriend. But ONLY give as much info is needed/asked. Even just sayin, "Oh just visiting" is fine when they say purpose of travel. You aren't LYING to them. If they say WHO? Then of course, fess up. I mean, you only have a week visit so there is no red flag to ask them more info UNLESS they hear "boyfriend or fiance". Don't walk up and say "Hi, I am visiting my fiance and have started the K1 visa process so I am doing it all very legal!!" They don''t care. That shows them that you have an INTENT to immigrate. That's ALLLLLLL they need to turn you away. SO, only answer questions AS THEY COME!

When I went into the interview room I was SOOO lucky because I got an awesome guy. I DIDN'T have a job to come back to, no home lease, nothing. AND I had a 2 month return ticket. Total red flags and I knew it. BUT I remained calm, only had 1 suitcase and when he asked me "So, are you guys like planning on getting married or what?" THATS when I mentioned the K1. His tone changed now and that's when he then got a little strict with me, "Do you understand why you are in here???" Essentially you are asking for one type of visa (A tourist visa) but technically you are applying for another one (fiance visa). SO its a conflict. HE said he had 4 choices, I forget them all now, but I know one of them was turn me away!! He was VERY cool though and let me in, without changing anything to my trip. HE DID write in my passport the date of my return ticket, to make sure I didn't overstay I guess. BUT, had I gotten the other douch that was in there, no way I would have gotten in. He was BEYOND rude to everyone. So, there IS some luck to it, sadly.

In the end, the biggest and most important thing I can stress is don't give more info then is asked, remain calm, don't look suspicious and TRY and seek out the one who looks like he is in a good mood. VERY difficult with CBP ;) BUT, be total prepared for the fact that you MAY have to return. It sucks....but, nothing you can do.

Good Luck :thumbs:

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Timeline

The fact that you're only going for a week and that you have a return ticket and a job to come back to will be perfect.

I never ever had a problem going through, on occasion they would ask me what I did, and once I told them I had a job, they never went any further. I live at home too, and never had a lease.

I never had to show any proof or ties. But it's true, it totally depends on the Border Guard. Like others have mentioned, do not say too much, just answer their questions truthfully.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Somehow I ALWAYS get asked the question: WHO are you going to visit when I say visiting to the agent.

I obviously want to be truthful so I guess I will have to just take my chances of possibly being dragged to the back room....lol

I hope it won't be an issue though. I plan on going with alot of stuff to back me up on the fact that I am returning just in case. Doesn't mean some #### won't ruin my vacation though. UGH.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Somehow I ALWAYS get asked the question: WHO are you going to visit when I say visiting to the agent.

I obviously want to be truthful so I guess I will have to just take my chances of possibly being dragged to the back room....lol

I hope it won't be an issue though. I plan on going with alot of stuff to back me up on the fact that I am returning just in case. Doesn't mean some #### won't ruin my vacation though. UGH.

You'll be fine, but tell the truth.... You don't want to get caught in a lie, and lying can lead to your denial.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I'll copy our experience posted in a similar post last month. I'm sure you'll be fine with what you've got. Basically they just want to make sure you're not trying to illegally immigrate. If you have a return itinerary showing that you are returning to Canada, that should be enough, if you feel like you need to bring more... absolutely do so. :thumbs:

I would be cautious about it, but I will say that my Fiance has come to the U.S. 4 times while our case was pending, and given a b2 visa. 3 out of 4 we were traveling in and out of Canada together. In the first 2 trips, there was no mention of the K-1 application. The last 2 trips were very mildly questioned because we were bringing in boxes as luggage to move things early since it's free as he works for the airline. They (customs) asked to see a "receipt" (NOA1) to prove we had filed for a K-1 on the 3rd trip and we didn't have it. They just said make sure you have it "next time" if there was to be one. The last trip he came on his own and had even more boxes. They questioned him again obviously being on his own with boxes (that looks like you're moving!), this time he had the NOA1 and a copy of his itinerary showing he was going back to Canada. Again, they were a little more lenient with the boxes because of him working for the airline, and understanding this would be an easier way for us to get things done ahead of time. So be very cautious if you do make the decision to cross the border, and be prepared in case they don't let you through. FYI We traveled through the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

2d18fm8.jpg

July 14, 2000 - Officially became a couple

February 14, 2008 - Engaged, finally! ;)

July 8, 2008 - Mailed in I-129F Application

July 15, 2008 - I-129F Received by VSC

August 4, 2008 - NOA1

August 7, 2008 - Touched

February 4, 2009 - Touched

February 4, 2009 - NOA2 SENT, APPROVED!

February 5, 2009 - Touched

February 9, 2009 - NVC letter received

February 18, 2009 - Packet 3 received

March 31, 2009 - Interview in Vancouver

April 1, 2009 - Medical in Vancouver, VISA APPROVED & in hand!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Thank you to everyone that posted here to help me out. I'm hoping it will be smooth sailing as I'm only going for one week and will have a return ticket.

My best friend is my manager and will be writing a very detailed letter stating that I have to be back for that following Monday at work and that I still am employed with my company and have been for 6 years.

Also going to get my man to send me a color scan copy of the NOA1 and bring that original back with me to Canada on my return.

Another question off topic: Did those of you that responded all move to the States already or are any of you still awaiting a K1 visa?

We filed the last day of January with a NOA1 date the first week of February. I've already assumed if all goes well I won't be seeing an NOA2 until the end of June maybe even July according to Igor's timeline. I'm dreading receiving an RFE but am confident we sent in sufficient info the first time around.

My fiance and I went to high school together in the states and we have known each other 16 years. I know they only care about the past 2 years but we went so far as to even send them our high school transcripts proving we have known each other that long just in case it would help us out even the slightest.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I travelled back and forth from Toronto to Florida about 20 times in the last 2 years. Many of those travels were while the K-1 was pending. It was very easy, and I never was given a hard time. But I also never used the word Fiancee. I always just said "I am visiting my girlfriend." And that was that. If they had asked me more, I wouldn't have lied, but they never did. I always just answered yes and no where I could and would offer no additional information unless asked.

I even came to see her for xmas with a shiny K-1 visa glued to my passport and (although they did give me a bit of hard time) they let me through after about 5 minutes. Since I kept repeating "the man at the embassy told me to tell you that I am not activating the K-1 at this time. I am just going for vacation. You can call the embassy and speak with them yourself." he eventually let me through.

So don't worry. Have fun!

Filed: Timeline
I even came to see her for xmas with a shiny K-1 visa glued to my passport and (although they did give me a bit of hard time) they let me through after about 5 minutes. Since I kept repeating "the man at the embassy told me to tell you that I am not activating the K-1 at this time. I am just going for vacation. You can call the embassy and speak with them yourself." he eventually let me through.

Was that at YYZ or did you fly out of Buffalo?

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Was that at YYZ or did you fly out of Buffalo?

The k-1 thing was at YYZ. I only flew from buffalo like 3 times, and it was pretty easy then too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.