rsn

Proof of relationship (K1 - BKK)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I'm going to have to do without it and use everything else I have. With all the other proof we have, and after practicing interview questions with my fiancee (she is already nervous about the interview, and I would be too) I would be surprised if they claimed we do not have a real relationship.

I thought the same thing also, even my attorney told me it was a slam dunk with all the information we had, and the answers my fiancee gave at their mock interview, she knew everything backwards and forwards.

Good luck to you.

Just in case I wind up in the same situation, a few questions for you:

1. What was the official result of your first interview (what did the office give your fiancee)?
  2. How did you find out what you needed to do to make it right? Who did you ask/talk to?
  3. How many interviews did you need to get the visa?
  4. How much time elapsed between the 1st interview and visa-in-hand?
More questions might follow.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline
I'm going to have to do without it and use everything else I have. With all the other proof we have, and after practicing interview questions with my fiancee (she is already nervous about the interview, and I would be too) I would be surprised if they claimed we do not have a real relationship.

I thought the same thing also, even my attorney told me it was a slam dunk with all the information we had, and the answers my fiancee gave at their mock interview, she knew everything backwards and forwards.

Good luck to you.

Just in case I wind up in the same situation, a few questions for you:

1. What was the official result of your first interview (what did the office give your fiancee)?
  2. How did you find out what you needed to do to make it right? Who did you ask/talk to?
  3. How many interviews did you need to get the visa?
  4. How much time elapsed between the 1st interview and visa-in-hand?
More questions might follow.

Goto the Sawasdee2 & Sawasdee3, in the K1 thread threads, all those questions are answered. Look around the date Jan 27th to Feb 5th.

Timeline
Goto the Sawasdee2 & Sawasdee3, in the K1 thread threads, all those questions are answered. Look around the date Jan 27th to Feb 5th.

I just finished reading. Looks like dealing with the embassy could potentially be a frustrating experience. Looks like I have quite a bit of prep work to do just in case the staff involved w/ my case @ the embassy decide to make my life difficult.

Timeline

I just finished reading. Looks like dealing with the embassy could potentially be a frustrating experience. Looks like I have quite a bit of prep work to do just in case the staff involved w/ my case @ the embassy decide to make my life difficult.

Yep it sucks. Apparently they change the person that does the K visa's every year. So Jan was his first month doing them, so maybe he has mellowed out a bit more. When the lawyer put together all our paperwork, and did the interview with my fiancee, they said this should be an easy case to go through, should sail through with no problems. They were even shocked at not getting it the first time. They said they have had cases with far less then we have and get approved no problems.

Timeline
Yep it sucks. Apparently they change the person that does the K visa's every year. So Jan was his first month doing them, so maybe he has mellowed out a bit more. When the lawyer put together all our paperwork, and did the interview with my fiancee, they said this should be an easy case to go through, should sail through with no problems. They were even shocked at not getting it the first time. They said they have had cases with far less then we have and get approved no problems.

Do they just have one person doing the interviews, or are there a few different possible interviewers? One more question: do you think it was worthwhile to have a lawyer?

Timeline

Do they just have one person doing the interviews, or are there a few different possible interviewers? One more question: do you think it was worthwhile to have a lawyer?

They have one person that does the interviews.

Having a lawyer was beneficial in the beginning when we were getting all the information together, they were able to tell Nam exactly what she needed in Thai, it was much easier then myself having to explain. Then having them when she got the needs additional paperwork, they were a good resource for what we needed to do. It was nice to have someone to call and ask questions. I think in my case it sped the process up, because I think it would have taken us longer to get everything together and get the paperwork sent off, had we done it ourselves. I found this site a couple of weeks after we filed so, had I found it before, I might have just done the entire process myself. I felt overall the firm I hired was worth it, their price for AOS was definitely to much, but I had already decided to do it myself. The other part that came in handy is I got a lot of questions answered from them regarding starting a business in Thailand, and even buying property as a foreigner. So that was invaluable, solid, legal information, I would have had a hard time finding, so it saved me a bunch of my personal time.

Timeline

Got it. I can certainly understand how it would be helpful to have someone who understands the process explain things to Kat in Thai. She speaks pretty good English, but there are some things that are difficult to explain to her without using her native language. Thanks for the help/info! Best of luck to you and your fiancee (or possibly wife now).

Timeline
Got it. I can certainly understand how it would be helpful to have someone who understands the process explain things to Kat in Thai. She speaks pretty good English, but there are some things that are difficult to explain to her without using her native language. Thanks for the help/info! Best of luck to you and your fiancee (or possibly wife now).

Yeah I had the same issue, Nam speaks good english, but their is stuff that is just easier telling her in Thai. We got married and filed for AOS already. We did our ceremony in Thailand back in Nov, and then a week after we got here we went and got the official marriage done. A week later I filed AOS, not wanting to waste any time.

Good luck, if you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask.

Timeline

UPDATE: I found out that even with a data cable, my phone is too lame/old to allow me to download/print call logs or text messages. To attempt to overcome that, I am having my fiancee print text messages sent and received for the past month and going forward. The only problem with this is that when I send her a text message, the number that shows up on her phone is not mine, it's some number in the UK for some strange reason. I'm going to ask my cell phone company why this happens and include their explanation w/ our evidence. No other solution that I can think of.

My fiancee also signed up for a monthly plan w/ AIS. She calls me and stays on the line for a couple minutes a day before I call her back so we have some proof that she has initiated some conversations. Also, I have begun collecting screenshots of IM chats w/ webcam windows & chat logs. I hope only a month or two of chat logs, screenshots, and logs showing calls from her to me on top of all of the other evidence will be enough. Should I be worried? I hope I'm doing everything I should be doing.

Timeline
UPDATE: I found out that even with a data cable, my phone is too lame/old to allow me to download/print call logs or text messages. To attempt to overcome that, I am having my fiancee print text messages sent and received for the past month and going forward. The only problem with this is that when I send her a text message, the number that shows up on her phone is not mine, it's some number in the UK for some strange reason. I'm going to ask my cell phone company why this happens and include their explanation w/ our evidence. No other solution that I can think of.

My fiancee also signed up for a monthly plan w/ AIS. She calls me and stays on the line for a couple minutes a day before I call her back so we have some proof that she has initiated some conversations. Also, I have begun collecting screenshots of IM chats w/ webcam windows & chat logs. I hope only a month or two of chat logs, screenshots, and logs showing calls from her to me on top of all of the other evidence will be enough. Should I be worried? I hope I'm doing everything I should be doing.

I wouldn't worry to much, it shows contact both ways, even if it is only a few months.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Call logs to her should be fine. I was told to bring 60+ pics to interview. Don't skimp, bring it all! She even brought old phone cards and odd receipts. Vonage has a good website where I downloaded and printed out my phone records... it was a pile! You'll be fine and so will she. Good luck.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.