LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't even really like pizza, but my favorite place to get pizza was pizzaville. I miss pizzaville.

*in an accent* It was a rainy day in pizzaville...

when me Brother-in-law Raoul... :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
That's 736-36-36...not 7freesex-freesex-freesex :lol:

:lol:

Does anyone recall that restaurant in Toronto where you could call and listen to the recording of the daily specials..... only the guy who did the recording did it in the weirdest voice. So every morning my radio station would call the number and play it on the air. It was hilarious.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
There are places, I believe Connecticut where they have pizza with just sauce, no cheese :P

I think pizza here is super weird. My husband brought me to this place in Philly when I first visted and got me a slize of pizza with just cheese and sauce - by the by he claimed it was the BEST pizza ever. Umm where's the toppings?

He told me that adding toppings to a pizza other than cheese and sauce was sacrilegious.

Also told me that going to mainstream pizza places like papa johns, dominoes etc was also sacrilegious.

My husband is a food snob.

I tell ya growing up, we couldn't afford to be food snobs, you ate what was in front of you and if it was pizza night and the pizza came from pizza pizza you didn't care. :lol:

Pizza with just sauce is called Tomato Pie and its delish! Its usually a thicker crust. Unless you get an upside down pizza, that is the dough (thin crust), then provolone cheese then the sauce. That is good too. Genuardi's (one of the supermarkets in the Philly area) has it and that is good as well.

I did the same thing to my husband on one of his first trips here. I took him to a local pizza place that has great pizza and ordered a large with no toppings. He looked at me like I was a crazy American. Ok, well I am but that is besides the point. So he insisted on getting 1/2 pepperoni since just plain pizza is boring. Don't you know when he tried a plain slice he realized that I was right and it was better plain. :whistle: I know junk and comfort food. :thumbs:

I really liked the garlic dipping sauce from pizza pizza. I think I'll put that on my shopping list for next visit. lol

AHHHHH, Pizza Pizza's dipping sauce! Hubby NEVER should have introduced me to that stuff. Every time I go up there we have to get Pizza Pizza with tons of the garlic dipping sauce! Now that must go on my shopping list for next visit. :thumbs:

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Timeline
That's funny. Cheese pizza here also really shocked me. But, it's actually really growing on me now. I realized after moving here, that I never really like toppings on my pizza in the first place, we just always got toppings because that was the thing to do!

I only like cheese and sauce on my pizza, if I want vegetables, I'll eat a salad. If I want meat I'll cook a steak. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
But if you put it all together on top of the pizza, it just saves you a lot of time... have your steak and salad all on one pie!

I don't know why, but I cringe when I hear people use the word "pie" in reference to pizza. I reminds me of a time I was leaving a club in NYC and there were some greaseball long island tools who were denied entry talking about what they were going to do next. It went something like this.

"Do you believe this guy joey? Lets go get a fookin pie down at ray's"

I still get chills. I swear Long Island and New Jersey are the apocalypse of the english language.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a crazy look from everyone within earshot when I said... "Wow I really wish you guys had Ketchup chips here...."

No one believed me they are the best. chips. ever. made.

Until hubby and I went to Montreal for the interview and I made him eat one... then he polished off the bag!

I JUST WANT SOME KETCHUP CHIPS!

AOS/EAD/AP

Date Filed : 2009-10-20

NOA Date : 2009-10-27

Biometrics Appointment Letter: 2009-11-02

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2009-11-13

AOS Touch : 2009-11-16

Biometrics Done : 2009-11-18

AOS Touch: 2009-11-19

AOS Touch: 2009-11-23

AOS Touch: 2009-11-27

AOS Touch: 2009-12-01

AOS Touch: 2009-12-03

EAD Card Production Email: 2009-12-08

AP Approval Email: 2009-12-08

AP Touch: 2009-12-09

Second EAD Card Production Email: 2009-12-11

EAD Touch: 2009-12-14

EAD Card Received: 2009-12-16

AOS Card Production Email: 2009-12-16!!!!!!

AOS in hand 2009-12-23!!!!

Timeline
I got a crazy look from everyone within earshot when I said... "Wow I really wish you guys had Ketchup chips here...."

No one believed me they are the best. chips. ever. made.

Until hubby and I went to Montreal for the interview and I made him eat one... then he polished off the bag!

I JUST WANT SOME KETCHUP CHIPS!

Well, my wife said that same thing about several things, and aside from poutine, she's been wrong about them all :P

Timeline
I fully understand that it would be frustrating to the person who speaks French and that they would prefer to communicate in their language -- but at the same time, I fully understand how unrealistic it is to employ only bilingual people in this part of the country. The problem I have is not with bilingualism -- no, I think bilingualism is fantastic and I am always working towards improving my French. I wish that they were more persistent in teaching French in school and that there was more opportunity to work on my French. I just have a problem with people who are not realistic about bilingualism. Alberta is very, very different than any of the eastern provinces and to have the same expectation of bilingualism in Alberta as out east is just not realistic.

I know this, I am an Albertan - and I don't speak French :lol:

I actually don't want them to be more persistent in teaching French, I never wanted to learn to speak French (still don't).

However, one French speaking person in a high volume call center is not really right imo.

Timeline
I fully understand that it would be frustrating to the person who speaks French and that they would prefer to communicate in their language -- but at the same time, I fully understand how unrealistic it is to employ only bilingual people in this part of the country. The problem I have is not with bilingualism -- no, I think bilingualism is fantastic and I am always working towards improving my French. I wish that they were more persistent in teaching French in school and that there was more opportunity to work on my French. I just have a problem with people who are not realistic about bilingualism. Alberta is very, very different than any of the eastern provinces and to have the same expectation of bilingualism in Alberta as out east is just not realistic.

I know this, I am an Albertan - and I don't speak French :lol:

I actually don't want them to be more persistent in teaching French, I never wanted to learn to speak French (still don't).

However, one French speaking person in a high volume call center is not really right imo.

Well, as demographics show, there simply aren't that many bilingual people in Alberta. You should promote bilingual education instead of denigrating it to help alleviate this :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
But if you put it all together on top of the pizza, it just saves you a lot of time... have your steak and salad all on one pie!

I don't know why, but I cringe when I hear people use the word "pie" in reference to pizza. I reminds me of a time I was leaving a club in NYC and there were some greaseball long island tools who were denied entry talking about what they were going to do next. It went something like this.

I still get chills. I swear Long Island and New Jersey are the apocalypse of the english language.

Actually you forgot to throw Boston in the mix. Let's get in the cah and go for a drive.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Actually you forgot to throw Boston in the mix. Let's get in the cah and go for a drive.

Dude, seriously bro, what are you talking about? Most people here dont' talk with an accent, but we have our variety :lol:

Edited by Rob and Mel

Don't forget to go to Fenway Paahhrk to see some Baahl.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We were at a car dealership the other day on a car search. The salesman asked if there'd be a trade-in. I said yes if we get a good price for it so he asked me what it was. I said "A ZX2." He said "How do you spell that?" I said "Z. X. 2." :unsure: He went :blink: . My husband looked up and said "Zee X2." :lol:

When I get the blank stare after saying 'zed'.....I now add...oh that's right, youre American...you say 'zee'.

As a Canadian - why is it that I can be flexible if someone says either? not to pick, but why is it that every American receptionist I deal with has a brain the size of a peanut? Guess they've never been further then around the corner to the mall???????

Yah - I'm generalizing - but not a word of a lie, I always have to repeat it - they NEVER get it the first time

So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.