Macaw

International Megan's Law 2008

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HR-5722, "International Megan's Law" 2008 apparently calls for notifying the destination country that an American registered sex offender is headed to, for any purpose including vacation, so that the foreign country may deny entry.

This law was not passed. I was wondering if anyone knew it almost got passed last year, and if there are any updates to this law still trying to be passed?

I found a few sites:

http://cbs3.com/topstories/US.Rep.represen...e.2.693661.html

http://angryoffender.com/hr5722.php

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-5722

http://nsona.blogspot.com/2008/05/hr-5722-...megans-law.html

I know a lot of VJ members are now having trouble with IMBRA, even for simple things like being 18 years old and having sex with a consenting 17 year old. Any offense, small to big, are just being thrown into one big category and this new law could create even more problems. I've noticed the IMBRA topics have died out, not much talk about people getting denied or approved since the NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) letters we're getting from immigrations.

HR-5722, "International Megan's Law" 2008 apparently calls for notifying the destination country that an American registered sex offender is headed to, for any purpose including vacation, so that the foreign country may deny entry.

This law was not passed. I was wondering if anyone knew it almost got passed last year, and if there are any updates to this law still trying to be passed?

I found a few sites:

I know a lot of VJ members are now having trouble with IMBRA, even for simple things like being 18 years old and having sex with a consenting 17 year old. Any offense, small to big, are just being thrown into one big category and this new law could create even more problems. I've noticed the IMBRA topics have died out, not much talk about people getting denied or approved since the NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) letters we're getting from immigrations.

Our country runs on "what's best for most". Some "innocents" can get caught up in the process".

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

simple things like being 18 years old and having sex with a consenting 17 year old

That's not really a simple thing. One does eventually have to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of the influences.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I agree -- it is not a simple thing. Neither is promiscuity at a young age. Actions always have their consequences. Even Karl Marx believed in that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I agree -- it is not a simple thing. Neither is promiscuity at a young age. Actions always have their consequences. Even Karl Marx believed in that.

Yep Statutory Rape is well defined per state. I knew that as a young man and all should know the same.

You make your bed and you sleep in it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I found a few sites:

IMBRA is not the law causing problems for those with records of sex crimes against children. The Adam Walsh act is.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
simple things like being 18 years old and having sex with a consenting 17 year old

That's not really a simple thing. One does eventually have to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of the influences.

I guess that makes sense. If I was 18 years and 1 day, and my girlfriend was 17 years 364 days, and we had sex. I should go to jail and surely be labeled a sex offender for the rest of my life. That makes perfect sense.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I guess that makes sense. If I was 18 years and 1 day, and my girlfriend was 17 years 364 days, and we had sex. I should go to jail and surely be labeled a sex offender for the rest of my life. That makes perfect sense.

no, it doesn't make sense.

making sex related criminals pariahs prevents their re-acculturation, and exacerbates the problem, in most cases. unfortunately, getting judges to establish a standard for evaluation of sex criminals in regard to likelihood of recidivism is damned near impossible.

so, to discourage a few, we punish many. sorry, friend. if i was king, things would be different.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hear in Canada, after you serve your time, then your record is wiped clean. Dunno if thats true.

I've already accepted being punished for a life time about what happened so long ago, and the fact that there are so many haters out there acting very self righteous. Don't get me wrong, no self pity here, just seeing reality. I still have a good life, a decent job, an understanding fiancee, and we are going on with our plan B in life.

I got a hard question for all of you that have a tough stance on crime reguardless of how minor. Would you really prefer the child molesters and rapist to continue being your neighbor, and around your children, than to let them leave the country to live some where else? Use your head and think on that one for a second.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Sloppily written laws help no one and waiting for case law to determine how a law should be used places the end results in the hands municipal and state judges...asking "gray area" defendants to wait can backfire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090327/ap_on_...1mDaeUJJYDDr7sF

Today's news - even Mrs. Kanka, Megan's mother believes that a case like this - which would automatically register this girl if convicted - shouldn't fall under the scope of Megan's law...and for those of you who think this is the only 14 year old girl doing stuff like this, I got a bridge to sell to ya.

The last thing I would want to see is a law like Megan's Law repealed but it needs to be used as intended - unfortunatley Megan lost her life savagely to pervert who should have been locked up for life. There must be a better way...heck, if memory serves, in Oklahoma public urination was classified as a sex crime for a while too - placing the offenders on their sex offender registry.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

In reality, there are no gray areas when it comes to child molestation. For far too long, our society has overlooked this kind of aberrant behavior as being no one's business. Those who are convicted have lost some of their civil rights forever, and also their freedom. Canada is not a realistic example to follow, because it is a much less complex and populous country.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

That's part of the problem - public urination is NOT child molestation. And, for a while, if not still currently, the people who broke that specific law were treated the same as a child molester.

If a 14 year old girl posts pictures of herself naked or seminude on a social networking site - how is that the same thing? Does the girl need help and guidance and probably a whole lot of therapy - yup. But 14 years from now if she falls in love with some guy from New Zealand - she can't sponsor him??? I don't know, to me, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

no, it doesn't make sense.

making sex related criminals pariahs prevents their re-acculturation, and exacerbates the problem, in most cases. unfortunately, getting judges to establish a standard for evaluation of sex criminals in regard to likelihood of recidivism is damned near impossible.

so, to discourage a few, we punish many. sorry, friend. if i was king, things would be different.

I was being sarcastic.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its because of the possibility of this law (and im sure our over zealous justice system would love to pass it!) that i suggest everyone that needs to travel do it now. Soon the usa will trap you in your own Country.

After all, if the usa calls the country you are going to and says bad things about you, Do you think they will ask what the charge is and compare it to their laws? Nope, they will just take it at face value and deny you

So the usa wants sex offenders to stay on your street, your neighborhood , by keeping them locked into living in the usa.

09-09-2008 Met my Fiance'

01-23-2009 Married My Fiance' in the Philippines

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.