KiminON

What am I forgetting?

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hummm strange... I've never noticed a difference myself. I don't ever pick up on that stuff... Friends of mine have complained about the taste of things like meat and milk in the US but I think they are all crazy. I don't have very refined tastes so It's not all that surprising... :P

I'm only good with determining sweet flavorings. Not much else... well, I have tasted the milk there. Sad thing is, the milk I've tried in Canada always seems to have a "bad" taste to me. Can't figure out why. Then again, most milk here in Michigan tastes "bad" to me too. There was a brand I loved in AZ (Shamrock) that I loved growing up and had that "sweet" flavor.... So miss that milk and ice cream. OMG, their Marble Ice Cream was to DIE for!!!!! :dance:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't notice a difference in anything. Ketchup, pop, salad dressing, etc. The only things I miss are Canadian things I can't get here that I stock up on, but I don't bring with me any of the items sold here. Except KD, because it's called mac and cheese here not KD so I assume it's not the same.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I don't notice a difference in anything. Ketchup, pop, salad dressing, etc. The only things I miss are Canadian things I can't get here that I stock up on, but I don't bring with me any of the items sold here. Except KD, because it's called mac and cheese here not KD so I assume it's not the same.

It actually is the same. Here in the US, branding and marketing of products is SO weird! For example a brand of mayonaise on the west coast is Best Foods. The SAME mayonaise on the east coast is called Hellman's. Same label. Same commercials. Same commercial jingle. Just a different name. So, KD is the same as Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Some labels say Kraft Cheese and Macaroni... that too was a marketing ploy by Kraft Foods a few years ago. A friend of mine works for Kraft and I asked about whether or not they're the same. She said yes.

Also, you'll notice a different taste in soda (aka pop). There are numerous manufacturing plants around the country and depending on where you live, the "formula" may cause the drink to taste a little different. :wacko:

I also need to stock up on Ketchup chips. LOVE those and they're no where near available in the US. My friend's mom loves... oh, darn. What are they called... ummm... Hostess Cupcakes?? I think?? She says the creme filling is different than what is used in the US. I need to remember to stock up on those for her, next time I'm there. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

the KD here and the KD in Canada are the same in name only :P.... I think the Canadian KD has a more cheesier flavour...

I don't have easy access to Canadian items so I just make do with what I get here... I usually just add some real cheese to my KD and then it is all good...

one thing I miss though is Mr Big Bars and Coffee Crisps..

oh and pizza pops.. they have similar things here like hot pockets and Tony's pouches but they aren't the same as pizza pops...

oh and those McCain frozen cakes.. mm those are good...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
the KD here and the KD in Canada are the same in name only :P.... I think the Canadian KD has a more cheesier flavour...

I don't have easy access to Canadian items so I just make do with what I get here... I usually just add some real cheese to my KD and then it is all good...

oh and pizza pops.. they have similar things here like hot pockets and Tony's pouches but they aren't the same as pizza pops...

Maybe that's why Kraft spent all that money trying to joke and say that the name changed... to Kraft CHEESE and Macaroni. To make it sound cheesier"! Marilyn, you reminded me - I'd forgotten all abput pizza pops! My fiance' LOVES those. Here's his list of what he says he'll miss food-wise...

1- pizza pops

2- pepperettes

3- ketchup

4- ketchup chips (oh, wait -- that was MY item on his list)

5- Smarties (even though he likes M&Ms much better)

6- Aero bars (yeah, he doesn't like those either)

7- Toffee something or other - thought it was Toffee Crisps, but from Mailyn's post above, it's Coffee Crisps and he doesn't like those at all -- there's something toffee he said he'd miss... hmmm... (he's a seasonal fan of whatever they are)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Maybe that's why Kraft spent all that money trying to joke and say that the name changed... to Kraft CHEESE and Macaroni. To make it sound cheesier"! Marilyn, you reminded me - I'd forgotten all abput pizza pops! My fiance' LOVES those. Here's his list of what he says he'll miss food-wise...

1- pizza pops

2- pepperettes

3- ketchup

4- ketchup chips (oh, wait -- that was MY item on his list)

5- Smarties (even though he likes M&Ms much better)

6- Aero bars (yeah, he doesn't like those either)

7- Toffee something or other - thought it was Toffee Crisps, but from Mailyn's post above, it's Coffee Crisps and he doesn't like those at all -- there's something toffee he said he'd miss... hmmm... (he's a seasonal fan of whatever they are)

I think I know what those are.. they are round in shape, can't think of the name though

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Toffee Crisps FTW!!!! :dance:

I just had one of those today. :blush:

Wow, I was right!!! Toffee Crisps - yep... that's it!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

My honey brings a case of Mountain Dew with him from Wisconsin when he comes to visit because where I live at in Nova Scotia only has caffeine free Mountain Dew and he said it takes gross. I've tasted it here and there, I don't find any difference. I do find a difference in the Mountain Dew at the Fleet Farm Gas Station in Antigo, WI though.... I think that has something to do with the half a gallon of ice, and my large super cup!!! I love ICE COLD pop. Something that's hard to get anymore...the stores always have those coolers that they walk into so I don't find the beverages cold. The gas station is the first place I go to when I hit Wisconsin!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

I don't know if it's on Krikit's list or not...perhaps she should add it! Tetley Tea. I'm a huge coffee drinker (duh!), but I do adore a tea when I'm feeling under the weather, or just because...and I haven't had a good cup of tea since I've been here. I only drank Tetley when I was in Canada, and I'm sure that's why I haven't had a good cuppa!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Carla, here in the US Tetley's has a version called "British tea" er sumthin like. It is pretty much the same as Canadian Tetley's, and completely un-like the US Tetley's for making iced tea. Check your local grocery stores, it is in a purpleish box.

They must have relaxed the allowable foods again, because I've always been told that meats are not allowed to cross, only pre-packaged foods. I wonder if Mum will bring me some bacon next week...

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Carla, here in the US Tetley's has a version called "British tea" er sumthin like. It is pretty much the same as Canadian Tetley's, and completely un-like the US Tetley's for making iced tea. Check your local grocery stores, it is in a purpleish box.

They must have relaxed the allowable foods again, because I've always been told that meats are not allowed to cross, only pre-packaged foods. I wonder if Mum will bring me some bacon next week...

Wow, Thanks Reba, I didn't know that! I'll check it out and see if I can find that.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.