anitacastillo

Islam and birth control??

11 posts in this topic

Got into a discussion with a friend this weekend and have a question for the knowledge MENA women. What do Islam teachings say about birth control usage? Is it acceptable, or is it like the Pope/Catholics who say it should not be used?

I realize what people practice may be different than their religious teachings say.

Thanks for the education.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Got into a discussion with a friend this weekend and have a question for the knowledge MENA women. What do Islam teachings say about birth control usage? Is it acceptable, or is it like the Pope/Catholics who say it should not be used?

I realize what people practice may be different than their religious teachings say.

Thanks for the education.

this tells about islam and birth control

http://muslim-canada.org/family.htm

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I think birth control in general is fine, it has just changed over time. In history like during Muhammad SWS time they used the pull out method and now with the medicine and technology boost, there are so many other ways of birth control. just my opinion :)

Anyone have recommendations on BC pills? I was on Sprintec, but i'm going to switch this year 'cause Sprintec made me sick!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i think that anything that is not dangerous to u and is not taking the life of an unborn child is pretty much acceptable for birth control.....at least that is how i am understanding what i can find on the topic

sara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree IUD is the way to go. Nothing else worked for me (2 pregnancies and a miscarriage on BC). So far the IUD has worked great.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I never researched regarding our religion but we literally have the Brady Bunch between us so we have permanent birth control. We had to do something because we can't afford to have more children and we know how careless we both are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
i think that anything that is not dangerous to u and is not taking the life of an unborn child is pretty much acceptable for birth control.....at least that is how i am understanding what i can find on the topic

sara

I don't know what is acceptable in the Muslim religion about birth control, so I can't help you there. I can tell you what I've learned about birth control, though. Not many people know this, but the pill DOES prevent implantation by making the lining of the uterus thinner. That's why you'll hear women on the pill, and the pill commerical announcers, say they have "shorter, lighter periods". The 'regular' pill has that as a back up for when it doesn't prevent ovulation (so there's no way to really know each month if the woman didn't ovulate, or did and there was just no implantation). The 'mini pill' (commonly prescribed for breastfeeding mothers) works primarily by preventing implantation. Also, the IUD works by at least in part by preventing implantation. When it doesn't work, it can cause miscarriage. http://www.healthsquare.com/fgwh/wh1ch20.htm

If you don't have an issue with preventing implantation of a fertilized egg, then those methods could work for you. If you are opposed to possibly preventing the implantation of a fertilized egg, then you should avoid those methods. I guess it just depends on what you determine an "unborn child" to be. Some people feel it's a life upon conception, some upon implantation, some later than that. That's something you need to decide with your SO.

How all that jives with religion is something you'll have to find out from someone else.

Best of luck!

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

islam is a very practical religion if anything. i'm not a scholar but i would imagine that if you can't afford to have another child to raise and it would cause hardship, then use birth control.

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.