goalienc

Russian tourist visa for single female

10 posts in this topic

Ok, my question is probably somewhere on this forum. I thought I could get a quick answer this way. I was married to a girl from Ekaterinburg, Russia for 6 years. We are no longer together. I spent 3 months there back in 2002 and enjoyed being there. I have since returned there and met another woman but not through an agency. She has been to the states before on a exchange program. I believe she was here back in 2005 for 3 months and returned when she was suppose to. She is 28 and has no children... But she has worked as a accountant for 5 years and owns her flat, Automobile and has loans there. I was there 4 weeks ago and she has agreed to visit me here in June for 3 weeks. I know from my ex's sister that all we did was write a invitation and filed one form for her to visit.. don't remember for sure on the rest. Do I need to sponsor her visit or does she file herself there in Ekaterinburg and me send a invitation. I realize that most single woman do not get a visitors visa. But I believe her ties to Russia, plus her visit and return in a timely manner should show good intentions. I want to make sure I do this right and have no problems. Thanks

We sent an invitation letter to my wife's best friend last year. She was turned down. She may try again later this year. I am not aware of any form that we should have sent. The form was done by my wife's friend. She had to send a lot of information with it to show her ties to Russian and that she would return after her visit.

As a separate note, I am not sure it would be good for you to send an invitation. The US Embassy may look at it and say she is wanting to go to America to meet a man. I think she can just apply for a Visitor's Visa without an invitation. I am not telling you to circumvent anything. It would be better for you to go see her again in Russia, in my opinion. Or, since you have already met, you could continue to communicate and then ask her to get married.

This is just my opinion. Maybe others can share their thoughts. Good luck on this possible journey.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

John's correct. You can't invite a "girlfriend" over for a visit. (Or, I guess technically you could but your chances are slimmer than my username.) However, she is free to apply as a tourist. Her chances are probably pretty good if she books a "tour" through a tour operator or something like Disney World or something like that. "Reason for visiting the U.S.?" = Three week trip to Disney World. Visa granted!

Or you could (mods, go ahead and ear ####### it for me) just do a K-1 and go that route. Free three month "trial-period" and if it goes well, you go ahead and get married. If not, she goes back and you reapply some time on down the road if you choose.

Or just meet in the Dominican Republic. It's a nice place and doesn't have any of those pesky bombs that Sharm-el-Sheikh seems to be having lately. Darn Canadian bomb magnets!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I assume that you've read through the website of the Consulate in Ekaterinburg and seen the little bit of information they have on the process. As has been alluded to in the other posts, having an invitation from you is just going to raise a lot of questions and scrutiny that will simply increase the chances for denial.

Any time a single female applies for a tourist visa from Russia it's a #######-shoot with very long odds. Having her apply as part of a "tour" might increase her chances slightly, but approval is still FAR from guaranteed. While there is a CHANCE that a tourist visa might be approved, more than likely it's going to be time and $$ expended in a futile quest.

In my opinion, using the K-1 as a "trial period" is probably not the best option for you -- beyond the obvious "misuse of visa" issues. You state that you were married to a girl from Ekaterinburg before. I assume you used a K-1 visa to get her here. You apply again now... and what if it doesn't work out? If you DO decide to apply again somehere down the road, the multiple applications will then cause you to have to apply for a waiver. The waiver itself is not that difficult to receive, but you will have established yourself as a "2 time loser" inviting additional scrutiny of your case at every stage of the process.

I would agree with John's advice --- see her again in Russia. It doesn't have to be E-burg. Take a romantic trip to Petersburg or to Sochi. You say that she has been to the US before.... so at least she already has SOME first-hand knowledge of life here. That puts her way ahead of most of the girls who arrive here from Russia.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Filed: Timeline
In my opinion, using the K-1 as a "trial period" is probably not the best option for you. You state that you were married to a girl from Ekaterinburg before. I assume you used a K-1 visa to get her here. You apply again now... and what if it doesn't work out? If you DO decide to apply again somehere down the road, the multiple applications will then cause you to have to apply for a waiver. The waiver itself is not that difficult to receive, but you will have established yourself as a "2 time loser" inviting additional scrutiny of your case at every stage of the process.

I have no opinion on using the K-1 as a "trial period" argument, unless of course the standard troupes from the UK and/or Canadian forums care to come and lamabast Slim for it, in which case I will defend it with my dying breath. :)

However, there's no evidence at all to suggest that a second K1 application invites extra scrutiny. I've yet to read anybody on VJ being denied for a second K1. I'm pretty damn sure I've never read anybody being denied for a third K1, but I won't bet the farm. Come to think of it...I'm not sure I've ever read of a waiver request being denied. All of which suggests, in my mind anyway, that USCIS simply wants the waiver request for bookkeeping, not for extra scrutiny. Also, with regards to "additional scrutinty of your case at every stage of the process," this is also untrue. The waiver is for USCIS only, so any scrutiny will happen there. There is no waiver for NVC or the State Department.

Not picking a fight, I just want it to be clear that filing a waiver shouldn't be a big factor in somebody's decision on whether to file or not.

K-1 approval takes anywhere from 6 to 12 months and lots of pain in the *** - and tourist visa takes 30 days. Why even suggest the K-1.

B-1/2 is very feasible if the girl supplies sufficient proof of ties to Russia (career or ongoing study is the best bet). When I was interviewing for my tourist visa I was also asked if I was married - I said not officially but I had a boyfriend (of course I "forgot" to mention that the boyfriend was American - but they did not ask, did they? :))

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
In my opinion, using the K-1 as a "trial period" is probably not the best option for you. You state that you were married to a girl from Ekaterinburg before. I assume you used a K-1 visa to get her here. You apply again now... and what if it doesn't work out? If you DO decide to apply again somehere down the road, the multiple applications will then cause you to have to apply for a waiver. The waiver itself is not that difficult to receive, but you will have established yourself as a "2 time loser" inviting additional scrutiny of your case at every stage of the process.

I have no opinion on using the K-1 as a "trial period" argument, unless of course the standard troupes from the UK and/or Canadian forums care to come and lamabast Slim for it, in which case I will defend it with my dying breath. :)

My wife came here on a K1 and she didn't marry me at that time. She's old enough to know caution is a virtue. While I hope to change her mind at the time (I didn't) her intent was to come, see if I was the same guy in the USA that she'd gotten to know over a few years of visits in Russia (I used to have business there) and see what the USA itself was like. Then, she wanted to go home and think. Then we got caught up in the whole IMBRA thing and opted to get married rather than do a second K1.

Although I didn't like it at the time, she definitely did the best thing for her, and for us, by looking carefully before she leapt. Folks from Canada or the UK can do that pretty easily but our spouses cannot.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We did not get married on her K1. We married subsequently and later she obtained a K3 visa.

My timeline gives the chronology of events.

Edited by novotul

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.