haal23

How to get certified copy of US passport?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance' is from India. We're going through the embassy in Chennai for a K-1 visa. We're at the stage now where we're waiting for an interview appointment. However, the embassy has asked him to provide a certified copy of my passport before they can schedule an interview. Unfortunately, I live in a state where a notary public does not provide this service. Would anyone know where I could get this?

Thanks for any help.

haal23

Just make a complete copy of your passport, take it to a notary with the original document, and have them certify it's a true copy.

They should be able to do that. (Talk to a Lawyer/Notary - they will do it for you)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I'd be willing to bet there is a Notary Public somewhere in your state that will certify your copy as a true/exact copy. (If it were me, I'd make color xerox of all pages then take them and the original to a Notary.)

Timeline
Just make a complete copy of your passport, take it to a notary with the original document, and have them certify it's a true copy.

They should be able to do that. (Talk to a Lawyer/Notary - they will do it for you)

Thanks for your response. However, I called a notary public to inquire about this and was told notaries public in my state do NOT provide certifed copies of passports. Are there any other options?

haal23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for your response. However, I called a notary public to inquire about this and was told notaries public in my state do NOT provide certifed copies of passports. Are there any other options?

haal23

it kind of sounds like the notary is not understanding what ur asking.......try to call them back and say i am bringing copies of my passport all the pages and i want to know if u will notarize it as copy of the original after looking at my passport to ensure it is infact copies of it..........maybe that will help

sara

haal23

Call your town hall, that is where I got mine taken care of. Seek out the person who is the notary or the one who makes copies for city, town...it's usually a secretary or someone located in the records department.

Good Luck

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moving to consulate embassy forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

haal23

it kind of sounds like the notary is not understanding what ur asking.......try to call them back and say i am bringing copies of my passport all the pages and i want to know if u will notarize it as copy of the original after looking at my passport to ensure it is infact copies of it..........maybe that will help

sara

IMO, a certified copy of a passport is a misnomer. Some States indeed do not allow their notaries to attest to a true copy of a document but if you ask them to make the copies and stamp each page, they will if they are allowed to. Try calling a different notary and asking the question as suggested above. If this doesn't work, cross a state line.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've called about ten more notaries, asking my question as a couple of you have suggested, and was told the same thing as before. Actually one of them told me that notaries in my state cannot certify documents of any kind. He told me I would have to contact the issuing agency.

haal23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What state are you in? I am sure that you are not the first person here on VJ having to meet this request for.

Post your state here, and go into the Asia:South regional forum as well to get an experienced VJ'ers input.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I agree with listing your state. You can go to Google and search for document certification. You could also search for document certification STATE.

You could also look for information on it at the Secretary of State's Office. I think they do it along with doing an Apostille.

Good luck.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.