antda

N-400: Moving and What to do?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Lol...my pregnancy belly is getting bigger, and the house is getting smaller, so....

We're thinking of moving soon (within the next few months, preferably before July), and I was wondering the following:

I am planning to file my N-400 in August (but I'm preparing the paperwork now), so will this move have an effect on my upcoming Citizenship application?

We are more likely than not moving within the same state (NYS). One of the places we looked at has the same local office as we are in now (Buffalo, NY), and the other place has a different local office (Syracuse, NY). We are narrowing down our moving choices though, based on other factors non immigration related.

But either move, will it make a difference immigration-wise?

Do I have to delay my Citizenship application because of the move?

Do I have to explain about the same local office, if we choose the first location?

Do I have to explain about the different local office if we choose the other location?

Is there anything else (besides filing the AR-11 and the Sponsor change of address form) that both me and my husband have to do to inform immigration of the move?

Does my co-sponsor need to file a certain form or submit additional paperwork, even though they are not moving?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby, Still waiting to move, Still stressed...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Anyone Help??.. :whistle:

Hi Everyone,

Lol...my pregnancy belly is getting bigger, and the house is getting smaller, so....

We're thinking of moving soon (within the next few months, preferably before July), and I was wondering the following:

I am planning to file my N-400 in August (but I'm preparing the paperwork now), so will this move have an effect on my upcoming Citizenship application?

We are more likely than not moving within the same state (NYS). One of the places we looked at has the same local office as we are in now (Buffalo, NY), and the other place has a different local office (Syracuse, NY). We are narrowing down our moving choices though, based on other factors non immigration related.

But either move, will it make a difference immigration-wise?

Do I have to delay my Citizenship application because of the move?

Do I have to explain about the same local office, if we choose the first location?

Do I have to explain about the different local office if we choose the other location?

Is there anything else (besides filing the AR-11 and the Sponsor change of address form) that both me and my husband have to do to inform immigration of the move?

Does my co-sponsor need to file a certain form or submit additional paperwork, even though they are not moving?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby, Still waiting to move, Still stressed...)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

As long as you submit the AR-11 and use the new address on the form you should be ok. When I called for military info had to listen through a 2-minute speech saying AR-11 only fulfills your legal obligation to notify DHS of your new address. It does not let USCIS know of the change of address on any PENDING applications.

So, once you move, submit AR-11 and use the new address when you file N-400 and you should be all set.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you move to another DO (Syracuse, for example), you have to be residing there for 3 month before filing.

If you stay in the Buffalo DO, then just file AR-11, or just file N400 right after you move to your new place.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Hi Milimelo,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I plan on submitting the AR-11 when I change addresses and file the N-400 with my new address afterwards. As well, my husband (the sponsor) will submit the Sponsor Change of Address form too. Interesting to know too, that despite filling out these forms, it doesn’t notify them of this change during pending applications.

Hence, I’ll more likely than not end up filing for the N-400 after I move, so that my file doesn’t get lost or misplaced during the entire process, especially when I'm in the midst of a move.

Lol…I wonder why the DHS and the USCIS aren’t co-ordinated in this aspect? No surprise there really…

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby…)

As long as you submit the AR-11 and use the new address on the form you should be ok. When I called for military info had to listen through a 2-minute speech saying AR-11 only fulfills your legal obligation to notify DHS of your new address. It does not let USCIS know of the change of address on any PENDING applications.

So, once you move, submit AR-11 and use the new address when you file N-400 and you should be all set.

Hi Italian_In_NYC,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did read about that 3 months/ 90 days delay when moving from one district office to another office. Therefore, I won’t submit anything before I move, as that would probably cause more problems during the move that way.

Sigh, if I have to wait for another 3 months, then I will. If not, then that’s even better, as I don’t want to delay this any further. I’ll see what happens there with the move, and hope that all goes smoothly during the N400 process…

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby…)

If you move to another DO (Syracuse, for example), you have to be residing there for 3 month before filing.

If you stay in the Buffalo DO, then just file AR-11, or just file N400 right after you move to your new place.

When you move and fill out the AR-11, submit a copy with your N-400. The N-400 will have your new address and the AR-11 will show that you did file to change your address. To me, it is better to be safe than sorry. They will have your new address on both the N-400 and the AR-11.

Good luck on this last step in your journey.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Hi John24689,

Thanks for your reply. I agree, it's "better safe than sorry" to submit a copy of the AR-11 (and also the sponsor change of address form) with the N-400, to confirm the address change. So yes, I will send in this additional paperwork, just in case. That's a good idea, indeed!

The USCIS is known for losing files and not keeping files updated. And "the USCIS right hand doesn't know what the USCIS left hand is doing", so I guess it's up to our responsiblity to keep them updated... :innocent:

Lol..I'm not on the last step yet, but I'm getting close...Meanwhile, all I can do is wait....

Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

When you move and fill out the AR-11, submit a copy with your N-400. The N-400 will have your new address and the AR-11 will show that you did file to change your address. To me, it is better to be safe than sorry. They will have your new address on both the N-400 and the AR-11.

Good luck on this last step in your journey.

Edited by AntandD

AntandD,

I don't understand when you said: (and also the sponsor change of address form). What do you mean? The Permanent Resident files the AR-11. The N-400 is filed by the Permanent Resident. There is no sponsor, only the Permanent Resident.

Please explain. Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Hi John24689 (and Everyone),

Yes, the Permanent Resident files the AR-11 form for the change of address. And this has to be filed within 10 days of moving.

However, the sponsor is still responsible for the permanent resident until:

-The permanent resident becomes a US Citizen

-The permanent moves out of the country and terminates residency status

-The permanent resident dies

-The permanent resident works 40 quarters (the equivalent of 10 years I think)

Therefore, based on this, I think that the sponsor also has to file the I-865 form (Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address) too, when they do move/change address and is still responsible for the permanent resident. And this has to be filed within 30 days of moving.

For more information, you can find this I-865 form here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

I'm not completely sure about this though, so can anyone else here on VJ clarify about this too?

Does my sponsor need to fill out an I-865 form as well? (they will be moving with me)

What about my co-sponsor? (even though they are not moving at all)

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

AntandD,

I don't understand when you said: (and also the sponsor change of address form). What do you mean? The Permanent Resident files the AR-11. The N-400 is filed by the Permanent Resident. There is no sponsor, only the Permanent Resident.

Please explain. Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Edited by AntandD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.