chimcham

School?

21 posts in this topic

Hi All!

Have any of you attended school in the States? Was it difficult to get in with a Canadian background or without SATs, or whatever?

If you could let me know that would be great...I would like to finish my nursing schooling there once I move :)

06/25/12-2 Year Green Card Approved

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

05/15/14-NOA Receipt Date

05/19/14-Check posted to account and NOA received in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

lol!!

Well it all depends on the school!! As you will find out, every state does things their own way!! So what may work for one person, may not work for another!!

I was able to get the in state tuition rate right from the start, as they based my residency on my wife's status (she is the yank) and since she had been in VA for longer than 1 yr (I had to prove this by showing a past VA tax return) I got the instate tuition rate! But check with each school. I attend an State College--Northern Virginia Community College, and obtaining my Associates degree in Nursing (RN).

As well they may ask you to get a transcripts of your Canadian high school transcript or ur cdn university transcipt and get it evaluated! I had to get my high school transcript evaluated and I used this company http://www.educationinternational.org/procedure.htm they were excellent, very fast turn around----I had the evaluation back,before they had even cashed my cheque!!

I just re-read ur post, and see ity is for nursing as well, cool. I assume you were working on a BSN, as thats pretty much the only route in Canada--both my younger sisters are Rn's (BSN) back in Canada (they went to UofS) They now reside in Calgary and Kamloops.

In the USA, one has 3 main routes---Diploma, ADN(associates degree) and of course your BSN! Majority of nurses go the ADN route as it is shorter and usually less $$$$$, then go on and get their BSN--and let their employer pay for that,lol

If you already have a BSN in another field,they do have whats called an accelerated BSN,and it takes as little as 1 year I belive, but most of those courses are very intense!

Lot of Nursing school for ADN and BSN. Some are VERY, VERY, $$$$$$$ like over $10000 a semester. Me at Community college will pay a grand total of around $6000 + books for the whole program! And that included the pre-reqs to get into the program!. So one has to shop around.

So phone around to the various schools and see what their requirements are. A great forum for nurses is http://allnurses.com/ and if ya click on REGION, it will take you to whatever STATE your moving to, and you can ask questions their about schools.

And the hiring has really SLOWED down here in the DC area. I have chatted with a few recruiters,and they told me to call back closer to grad in May, and they are not sure if they will be doing any hiring!! Yes some students have gotten jobs already, but not many!! Thanks to the economy,the census in the hospitals are way down, and nurses are gettign sent home if not enough beds are being occupied! I'm sure we wil all find jobs eventually, but the hiring is not as rapid/easy as it has been in the past!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Haha. I see you down there, Flames. :lol:

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing your response because I'm thinking I might like to go back to school too. I'm a sucker for punishment, I guess.

In community college,you find a wide range of ages!! I'm 36, and probably the avg age is in the high 20's, early 30's!! We have a big handful of students in their 40's,and I know of 1 that retired with AT&T with 30 yrs,and is now in school with me!!

With the ADN degree, the nursing portion is usually 2 years (4 semesters) but your pre-reqs are another 2 or 3 semesters before that, so can be easily completed in 3 yrs! And some programs you go right through the summer,some you don't. Some are very flexible and offer weekend programs,and even online!! My school offers an online class---you do the lectures on line, bu tof course have to attend lab and clinicals in person! Most highly recommend you don't work that much, as there is a lot of studying. But I know many students that work part time and even full time and do well--just have to be able to set a schedule and go with it!! You will find Community colleges lot less $$$$,but of course they can be difficult to get into!! They tend to take ur GPA based on the pre-req courses, plus most you write an entrance exam--usually a TEAS or HESI exam--(just different companies that sell them) they are usually contain a few different testable sections--usually, Science, math, english and reading,and you get scored on it. And if you were lucky like me--my school WAS, first come first served,lol, but we were the last class, and now it is competitive.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Its not that much of a pain,lol you just need good marks!! There are some private schools that have fewer pre-reqs, but they cost more $$$$$$$$$$$

I should mention too, that their are LPN programs as well (just as their is in Canada). Some hospitals have really scaled back on LPN's, some have not!

Edited by flames9

Wow thank you Flames, what a wealth of information! I really appreciate it!!

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Timeline

No problem. If ya could, please fill out ur visa timeline so we can better assist ya, and let us know what visa u are going for. best of luck

No problem. If ya could, please fill out ur visa timeline so we can better assist ya, and let us know what visa u are going for. best of luck

I will as soon as i get a ring on it ;)

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Timeline

lol!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really want to go back to school too! Eventually... I'm graduating in June with a BA and I'm considering getting my MA in international studies... OR I'm also considering community college to get my paralegal certificate. I've always wanted to go to law school but it's so pricey and I'm not sure if I'm smart enough :blush: Grades shouldn't be much of a problem, but I know i'll have to write some kind of standardized test... for getting my MA I think its called a GMAT? Not sure about college... I assume Canadian university credentials are pretty equivalent to American ones, I have friends going to Law school in the US next year with the same degree as me.

Good luck with that ring ChimCham ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.