DedHeadTed

MIA TSA Nightmare

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So my fiancee and I were entering the country after I had gone for a visit and ran into some trouble with the TSA. I'm a citizen and she has a B2 visa, she is only entering for a short visit (3 weeks, too short for me!), she has employment in colombia and is about to graduate in a month from college (no classes now, waiting for the ceremony). She also has tickets to show when she would be returning. But, we didn't get spots near each other on the plane because it was overbooked and we were lucky to get what we did. So coming in they had a special prelimary check, I got through first just telling them I had gone to colombia to see my girlfriend, that was enough for the agent and he sent me on. So I moved on to the next part were I was waiting for the normal passport check line, and in comes a agent with my fiancee telling me I need to come with him. She had told him she was coming to stay with her boyfriend and then return. The agent claimed that I had lied though, which definitely confused me because I don't know where I had lied. He told me then I had lied because I had not said that she was returning with me. Then I tried to explain that we were split up on the plane and the original agent I had talked to wasn't that concerned with that much information. Then he said (very rudely) that I was misleading which qualifies as lying, so he and two other (much nicer and older agents, god bless them) then took us through the normal passport routine, then to get our bags, and then to do the complete search on our bags. They didn't find anything (as usual) and the original, younger agent with obvious authority issues, was a real you-know-what the whole time. We got through, and I never lied. I'm am confused as to where our civil rights have gone though, our right to privacy; because I don't give the the complete info on my trip (how many times washed myself, how many potato chips I ate, how many dumps I took) it's considered as misleading? And then that's transformed into lying?! So now my fiancee is concerned that they are going to put something against us that will prevent us from doing our K1 visa in the coming month or so, I worry somewhat as some of those agents have extreme authority issues and who knows what fishy ####### they might do. They didn't speak of any actual charges or something and I would figure you would have to actually be convicted of a crime, in other words, you would know if they were going to have some kind of penalty for you. So, finally, what do you guys think? Is this going to give me trouble even when I did nothing wrong? We hope not, as we are trying to do this visa by ourselves.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hey!

First of all I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience. I've travelled all over the world, literally, and US airport a$$holes are worse than any other country I've seen. Sometimes. Most of the time they're actually nice and sweet.

Don't worry about it anymore! That little freak that gave you such a hard time doesn't have any authority to mess with your application. Absolutely nothing bad is going to happen. I've been "taken out of the line" and questioned separately twice, and it never affected anything. Once they're satisfied, they let you in (perhaps with a bit of an attitude!) and then they forget about you, because there's a thousand other passengers to hassle and/or let through. They cannot and will not interfere with your immigration case.

They do have the right to hassle you and there's probably not much that you can do. Try to be nice to immigrants wherever you meet them :-).

Take care, and enjoy those precious three weeks together!

Kevin.

I had one of those "young guys with authority issues" yell at me one time (this was at customs after I'd been questioned for half an hour, all my paperwork looked at line by line, because I was entering the US on a waiver while I had an application running, which I'd started shortly after a previous application had been denied - bigtime red flag), saying he was going to go through all my luggage (don't they love making a mess of your cherished possessions!) and if there was any indication of me looking for work, like a resume, he was gonna kick my #### right back out of the country.

To which I coolly replied that, yes, I was carrying a resume related to my pending F1 application. He just mumbled "oh, right", looked lost for a few moments, then tore open a big cardboard box full of books. Okay, so I was carrying a heavy bag and two heavy boxes ... for a one week visit. "And what are you doing with all this stuff?" "Well, if my F1 is approved, I'm moving here, so I'm bringing over some stuff already to leave here after I return to await the result of the F1 application." "Oh, okay." Again, that was it. Then he asked the name of my girlfriend and her date of birth, went over to a computer and either checked or pretended to check this, and then he told me rudely I could enter. Oh, funny detail, as part of the procedure he then had to give me a feedback card and ask me to give feedback on his behavior. Heh!

Anyway, I hadn't seen my girl in over a month, so I forgot all about it as soon as I reached the arrival area!

So my fiancee and I were entering the country after I had gone for a visit and ran into some trouble with the TSA. I'm a citizen and she has a B2 visa, she is only entering for a short visit (3 weeks, too short for me!), she has employment in colombia and is about to graduate in a month from college (no classes now, waiting for the ceremony). She also has tickets to show when she would be returning. But, we didn't get spots near each other on the plane because it was overbooked and we were lucky to get what we did. So coming in they had a special prelimary check, I got through first just telling them I had gone to colombia to see my girlfriend, that was enough for the agent and he sent me on. So I moved on to the next part were I was waiting for the normal passport check line, and in comes a agent with my fiancee telling me I need to come with him. She had told him she was coming to stay with her boyfriend and then return. The agent claimed that I had lied though, which definitely confused me because I don't know where I had lied. He told me then I had lied because I had not said that she was returning with me. Then I tried to explain that we were split up on the plane and the original agent I had talked to wasn't that concerned with that much information. Then he said (very rudely) that I was misleading which qualifies as lying, so he and two other (much nicer and older agents, god bless them) then took us through the normal passport routine, then to get our bags, and then to do the complete search on our bags. They didn't find anything (as usual) and the original, younger agent with obvious authority issues, was a real you-know-what the whole time. We got through, and I never lied. I'm am confused as to where our civil rights have gone though, our right to privacy; because I don't give the the complete info on my trip (how many times washed myself, how many potato chips I ate, how many dumps I took) it's considered as misleading? And then that's transformed into lying?! So now my fiancee is concerned that they are going to put something against us that will prevent us from doing our K1 visa in the coming month or so, I worry somewhat as some of those agents have extreme authority issues and who knows what fishy ####### they might do. They didn't speak of any actual charges or something and I would figure you would have to actually be convicted of a crime, in other words, you would know if they were going to have some kind of penalty for you. So, finally, what do you guys think? Is this going to give me trouble even when I did nothing wrong? We hope not, as we are trying to do this visa by ourselves.

Having traveled extensively and acquired permanent residency in another country, and temporary residency in a third one over my life, I can tell you that US CBP and immigration are the worst in the world to deal with. They don't treat people with the respect a human (or even a dog) deserves.

We've had even worse problems with CBP than you (which is who you meant, not TSA).

My fiance was turned back at the border when we tried to enter together back in October. While I know this will not affect approval of our K-1, the fact that she has a 'complicated' record in CBP's database is probably the reason we are still waiting for approval.

Sorry to say this, but don't be surprised if your K-1 takes longer than most others. I polled about 6 recent K-1 petitions where the foreign fiance had border entry issues (usually withdrew admission) and all but one of them took longer than average to process. See my post here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2724975

Sad, isn't it, when you consider we are just decent normal couples trying to progress with life in a legal way.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

We got through, and I never lied. I'm am confused as to where our civil rights have gone though, our right to privacy; because I don't give the the complete info on my trip (how many times washed myself, how many potato chips I ate, how many dumps I took) it's considered as misleading?

No, you don't have to give information like that. However, you could of been more forthcoming with the officer and said, "I was visiting my girlfriend, and now were returning to continue our vacation."

There is a point where withholding information can get you in trouble. I don't agree with the thought to hold back information that is pertinent. (I have been traveling all over the world, and never had an issue)

They did not violate your "civil rights" - they are required to screen everyone, foreign or USC coming into the states. They saw some red flags.

Some red flags that popped out for me:

1. Even though you were separated on the flight, you could of waited for her to de-plane and walk together to checkpoint. People that do what you did sometimes are up to no good. (not saying you were)

2. Your girlfriend tells one story, you tell another. Cops usually trigger on that, which makes them dig. (not saying the story was false, but your girlfriend gave more information that conflicted with your information)

Remember, the burden of proof is on you, not the border patrol. If they think your lying, then your lying in their eyes, till you prove it.

You did, and they let you pass.

This will not affect your K-1, since they allowed you to pass. How long did they give on the I-94?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I'm am confused as to where our civil rights have gone though, our right to privacy;.

You can thank our late president and the numerous "anti-terrorist' laws that he passed that really just took away our rights. Amazing what you can do when people are scared.

Oh, and at least your fiance was admitted, I'm actually surprised. You were lucky. Be aware that with this incident in her record, you might have a tougher time the next time she tried to enter (before having a K-1 visa).

Just my 2 cents worth only.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm am confused as to where our civil rights have gone though, our right to privacy;.

You can thank our late president and the numerous "anti-terrorist' laws that he passed that really just took away our rights. Amazing what you can do when people are scared.

Oh, and at least your fiance was admitted, I'm actually surprised. You were lucky. Be aware that with this incident in her record, you might have a tougher time the next time she tried to enter (before having a K-1 visa).

Just my 2 cents worth only.

late? gwb died?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.