jhunjhun

Canadian High School education vs. US High School education

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think that is wrong. So not only do you have it varying by State but varying by district as well. It appears that there is little to no oversight at all. might as well teach whatever you want.

It is wrong, not to mention confusing.

Even where my MIL teaches, she doesn't get the same days off as Ethan, she looks at his work load and mentions how different it is from what her school is teaching.

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Homeschooling is looking more and more attractive.

~ Catherine

I don't know. I'm against home schooling. (I sound like such an #######-hole haha)

I think that socialization is important and loved going to public school and meeting friends. I also think that you have to be qualified to teach children. If I don't understand basic math, how am I going to teach it to my kid?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

~ Catherine

I don't know. I'm against home schooling. (I sound like such an #######-hole haha)

I think that socialization is important and loved going to public school and meeting friends. I also think that you have to be qualified to teach children. If I don't understand basic math, how am I going to teach it to my kid?

Co-sign.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

~ Catherine

I agree that socialization is very important. I think you could put your children into soccer or some other group activity to make sure that they got it.

It's a moot point anyways. I doubt I'll ever be able to not work.

My husband was a school teacher in the public school system in New Hampshire until he got totally fed up with the political nonsense that the teachers in his district had to deal with. Despite his experiences, he gets a little annoyed that I'm nervous about sending any children we might have to public school.

~ Catherine

Timeline
I agree that socialization is very important. I think you could put your children into soccer or some other group activity to make sure that they got it.

My husband was a school teacher in the public school system in New Hampshire until he got totally fed up with the political nonsense that the teachers in his district had to deal with. Despite his experiences, he gets a little annoyed that I'm nervous about sending any children we might have to public school.

~ Catherine

Well an hour or two a week of socialization on a soccer team probably won't cut it. It would help, of course.

It's okay to be nervous about sending your kids to public school here. I had the same discussion with my husband the other night and I don't even have kids yet. I told him that I am scared to send my unborn children to school here. I don't understand anything about the system and I'm scared of the class divides. We live in a state where so many people are VERY rich and so many people are VERY poor. I don't want my kid growing up with materialistic kids and I don't want them to be scared to go to school either.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

~ Catherine

Well an hour or two a week of socialization on a soccer team probably won't cut it. It would help, of course.

It's okay to be nervous about sending your kids to public school here. I had the same discussion with my husband the other night and I don't even have kids yet. I told him that I am scared to send my unborn children to school here. I don't understand anything about the system and I'm scared of the class divides. We live in a state where so many people are VERY rich and so many people are VERY poor. I don't want my kid growing up with materialistic kids and I don't want them to be scared to go to school either.

I feel the same way about school here.... my husband went to a private Catholic school, only because he said the public schools in Philly were too dangerous/ghetto for "regular" kids. But it costs like 5G per year! I want our kids going to a regular public school, the way it is in Canada where all children go to the same school, rich or poor..... I can't imagine paying to have our children in grade school!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

~ Catherine

I feel the same way about school here.... my husband went to a private Catholic school, only because he said the public schools in Philly were too dangerous/ghetto for "regular" kids. But it costs like 5G per year! I want our kids going to a regular public school, the way it is in Canada where all children go to the same school, rich or poor..... I can't imagine paying to have our children in grade school!

If your kids are white... they'll be tormented at an inner city Philly school.

I have heard many many horror stories about it.

I know that post isn't kosher but I am just being painfully honest.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

^^ I think inner city says it all! Luckily we live north of Philly and I hear there are some good school districts here since we're in the burbs.... Anyway kids are at least a few years off so I have some time to do my research :)

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Hmmm - imagine being my daughter, who is mixed (Blacka nd white).plenty kids of both races here, as well as plenty mixed kids too........my daughter has encountered very little, if any racism in her life and then she arrives here and it's HUGE deal. She doesn't fit in with the black kids perfectly because she doesn't have the same 'black history' as them, she doesn't fit in with the white kids (bunch of freaking snots as a whole - and yes, I'm white)............

There was racism back in Kitchener, but nothing like it is here.....even my daughter is like' what is everyone's problem...' She doesn't understand because she's from Canada and her black ancestors are straight from Africa and her dad didn't experience racism really because he lived in a country of all black people......it's new to her.

Please don't PM me or call me out in this thread about not understanding racism - trust me, I understand it and have experienced it thoroughly....I'm just saying it's more prevalent here and is affecting MY child directly, whereas it did not have as much of an impact in Canada

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Hmmm - imagine being my daughter, who is mixed (Blacka nd white).plenty kids of both races here, as well as plenty mixed kids too........my daughter has encountered very little, if any racism in her life and then she arrives here and it's HUGE deal. She doesn't fit in with the black kids perfectly because she doesn't have the same 'black history' as them, she doesn't fit in with the white kids (bunch of freaking snots as a whole - and yes, I'm white)............

There was racism back in Kitchener, but nothing like it is here.....even my daughter is like' what is everyone's problem...' She doesn't understand because she's from Canada and her black ancestors are straight from Africa and her dad didn't experience racism really because he lived in a country of all black people......it's new to her.

Please don't PM me or call me out in this thread about not understanding racism - trust me, I understand it and have experienced it thoroughly....I'm just saying it's more prevalent here and is affecting MY child directly, whereas it did not have as much of an impact in Canada

That must be so hard on your daughter. Being a teen is hard enough, without issues like a big move, meeting new friends mixed into it. I wish her the best (F)

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

why can't people judge a person on thew person and NOT on their skin color?? My cousin (cdn) taught school a few yrs back in S.carolina and was dating a African American, great guy!! Principal called her into the office and highly suggested that she not see him, as she didnt want to give the wrong idea to her students!! makes me soo mad!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
why can't people judge a person on thew person and NOT on their skin color?? My cousin (cdn) taught school a few yrs back in S.carolina and was dating a African American, great guy!! Principal called her into the office and highly suggested that she not see him, as she didnt want to give the wrong idea to her students!! makes me soo mad!!!

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Filled with racism, ignorance and bigotry.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the request is somewhat reasonable if they also make out of state people provide a transcript etc. Although, I do think its strange that they put so much weight on HS. Once you go to College/University, I feel like that cancels out HS.

Anyways, public schools in NYC are also not the greatest, so we intend to send out children to a Private Catholic school. We know it's going to be $$$ but we joke that we've started saving for their education before we've even married and that we need to have our children far apart so we can afford them. I guess it's really only a half-joke since it's most likely going to end up being true.

I have to say that my fiance's education was a bit better quality than mine when we compare our experiences to be honest. His school was stricter, the expectations were higher and he just learned things at a more advanced level then we did. I would not really say we had the same quality education and I went to a Catholic school in Mississauga, which was a decent school in a decent school board. Even if the public system was decent in NYC, I would still 100% send my child to a private school because of the increased quality of education that comes with a private education.

My parents were never really big on education, and I always wished they would've really encouraged me more and looked into what my options were. I don't mean that to sound snotty, I just am really impressed by how great my fiance's private school experience was. He had a really amazing time and lots of opportunities, of course that came with a price and lot of sacrifice on his parents part... but its something we both feel strongly about and also intend to sacrifice for.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.