jhunjhun

Canadian High School education vs. US High School education

90 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was told by the employer that my Canadian High School Diploma must be evaluated to US high school equivalent. One of their requirements in order to be qualified for this job is U.S High School Diploma or GED. I don't have U.S.H.S because all of my educations ( high school and college) were completed in Canada. But Puerto Rico High School diploma is indeed acceptable because it's part of the US education standards. I want to send my high school transcript to one of the accredited evaluators but it cost me $75. Is this happened to everyone?

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

I can give you an answer as far as what Universities need for foreign grad students but I don't know about employment.

I work for a huge university and we require high school transcript (translated into English), TOFEL scores and SAT or ACT scores.

Is is a small employer that is not used to seeing international degrees?

If you have a college degree, why is the job bothering with a high school transcript?

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To start school here I had to get my Cdn high school checked out. I used http://www.educationinternational.org/procedure.htm and they were awesome!! I had the required paperwork back BEFORE they had even cashed my cheque. They mailed a copy directly to my school (by my request) and 1 copy to me.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Wow, hard to believe they'd not consider a Canadian high school diploma equivalent to US. What are they, new? :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Wow, hard to believe they'd not consider a Canadian high school diploma equivalent to US. What are they, new? :wacko:

They do consider them equivalent, just some want proof!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I can give you an answer as far as what Universities need for foreign grad students but I don't know about employment.

I work for a huge university and we require high school transcript (translated into English), TOFEL scores and SAT or ACT scores.

Is is a small employer that is not used to seeing international degrees?

If you have a college degree, why is the job bothering with a high school transcript?

I agree. That's really weird. Sounds like flames gave you a great lead!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Um yeah. If you have a college diploma then I'd be careful of what employer you are trying to look for. I don't know why they would be concerned with anything you did in highschool.

I know that when I got employed with the state they called my University to make sure I had completed my degree but that's as far as they went, and I work for a university!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to high school both here in Canada and in the United States. Our education is at a higher level. I got to Florida for their sophmore year (our Sec. 4) and I had to re-take classes I had already done here in Canada. BORING. I will say that I had a few awesome classes there because I went to a private school though that my friends here in Canada were jealous of.

And Treble is right. I would really look into any employer that is asking about high school. Our high schooling is exactly the equivalent if not better than theirs. They may look at your SAT's and tests like that but they should only be looking at college scores mostly.

I have never heard of anyone in the states trying to see if they are equivalent to each other...its pretty much a known fact.

Timeline

If thats what ur employer wants, why give them a hassle??? Want to start off on the right foot.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, as a teacher (for 16 years) in the United States, I feel like I have to speak on behalf of Public Education here. First of all, every state, every city, and even every DISTRICT, in the US has different policies, procedures, and believe it or not, curriculum. I taught in Arizona and am now teaching in Michigan. Although the same topics are covered, some districts cover material at different levels. Unfortunately, it is a researched fact that Florida is in the bottom of all rankings for education. So, that's probably why domegirl had to take classes over again. Now, when it comes to private schools, they're just that. Private. They don't have to hold to the same standards as the public schools. Some schools are more lax than public (I've seen that from kids transferring in to my class from private schools) and orther private schools are more stringent than public schools (I've seen that too). So, fortunately or unfortunately, because the US school system is not government controlled, there will be those differences.

My fiance and I have gone round and round regarding education in the US vs. Canada. They both have their pluses and minuses. I'm trying to be honest here and not play favorites... honest!

I also agree with domegirl and treble... schooling is schooling. I do things differently than other 4th grade teachers at my school! LOL Just depends on who you get for what subject/grade which year!

In addition, some employers are only familar with their local education systems and are too dang lazy to find out on their own what else is out there.

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline
Okay, as a teacher (for 16 years) in the United States, I feel like I have to speak on behalf of Public Education here. First of all, every state, every city, and even every DISTRICT, in the US has different policies, procedures, and believe it or not, curriculum. I taught in Arizona and am now teaching in Michigan. Although the same topics are covered, some districts cover material at different levels. Unfortunately, it is a researched fact that Florida is in the bottom of all rankings for education. So, that's probably why domegirl had to take classes over again. Now, when it comes to private schools, they're just that. Private. They don't have to hold to the same standards as the public schools. Some schools are more lax than public (I've seen that from kids transferring in to my class from private schools) and orther private schools are more stringent than public schools (I've seen that too). So, fortunately or unfortunately, because the US school system is not government controlled, there will be those differences.

My fiance and I have gone round and round regarding education in the US vs. Canada. They both have their pluses and minuses. I'm trying to be honest here and not play favorites... honest!

I also agree with domegirl and treble... schooling is schooling. I do things differently than other 4th grade teachers at my school! LOL Just depends on who you get for what subject/grade which year!

In addition, some employers are only familar with their local education systems and are too dang lazy to find out on their own what else is out there.

Excellent post! Never forget, school in America is very dependent on the state and district. My cousins went to school in Kansas and they weren't taught about evolution while I went to school in Georgia. The teacher, by law, has to read a statement saying evolution is a theory and only a theory before we could learn about it. My friends that went to public school in New York were taught evolution without the theory statement.

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

Timeline
If thats what ur employer wants, why give them a hassle??? Want to start off on the right foot.

Because the information sounds incredibly vague. How about starting off with WHY they want to see your highschool scores? Why would you give in to demands without explanations?

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

The issue is not the standards of education though, the issue is why would an employer want to look at a highschool record when the OP has a college degree? It isn't relevant.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Because the information sounds incredibly vague. How about starting off with WHY they want to see your highschool scores? Why would you give in to demands without explanations?

Because thats what the employer wants? Its not that big of a deal. Why as a new employee does one want to cause a ruckus?? We have had a zillion discussions on here how little each countries truly know of each other. Sure i would ask why, but I also know when to pick my fights,lol

Timeline

Well it appears to me that it is not his/her employer yet because I don't think someone would hire you BEFORE you showed them your qualifications and if they are relevant.

But again, we have many job postings at work that require you to have a GED or High school diploma. But if you have a college degree, we want to see THAT and not your GED. Why would I want to see someone's high school diploma when they have completed post-secondary education, making their High school diploma nothing more than a piece of paper.

I think it's a big deal when you've gotta pay out of your own pocket to see if your high school diploma is equivalent to an American HS diploma. College and University I can totally understand. Whether or not you know much about Canadian education standards, unless you think Canada is an undeveloped nation or from a part of the world where an education standard may greatly vary from yours, you can make an educated guess that someone has been given a similar OR better education from the age of 5 to 18.

If they wanted to know if his HS diploma was valid, that is reasonable to me. But to wonder whether or not it is equivalent is silly.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.