July09Bride

Breath of Fresh Air

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

When my fiance moves over to the US, I'm sure his belongings will have that cigarette smell. I'm a non-smoker and there's no smoking in the house here. His books, etc. I'm sure will all have the smoky smell, as his stuff was all in the basement and there have been many, many gatherings there where the air was thick with smoke. I don't want to tell him he can't bring his stuff inside the house, but I truly can't stand the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

In addition, his car has that same odiferous scent. I don't want the smell to "leak" into my car because his car is parked in the garage, too. Took me almost a week to get the smell out after the medical exam car ride to/from Toronto last week. Yeah, I know, the best situation is for there to be no smoking at all. <sigh> But, I've been told there won't be any when we have kids. I'm truly hoping that's the case!!! I'd prefer it sooner than later, but I'll take later rather than never!

Funniest part about all this, is he even knows his stuff reeks when he comes over here! LOL His phrase, "D@mn you non-smokers for not having a scent. Even I can smell myself and I reek!"

Any thoughts??

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

febreeze?

I live with a smoker too so I kind of know what you are going through...

he is not allowed to smoke in the house though... and he usually only smokes at work or when he is over at this brother's house but lately he sneaks in a smoke whenever he can :P

he has been telling me for years that he is going to quit :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
febreeze?

I live with a smoker too so I kind of know what you are going through...

he is not allowed to smoke in the house though... and he usually only smokes at work or when he is over at this brother's house but lately he sneaks in a smoke whenever he can :P

he has been telling me for years that he is going to quit :P

Considering how the economy is doing... wonder if I can buy stock in Febreeze??? That's a great idea!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My dad is a smoker too and it makes things in my house smell a bit. I find that febreeze can take care of a lot of it. Air Wick also has this special spray designed specifically for airing out the smell of smoke... but it's just for the air, not really for spraying at stuff. Might work good in a car though!

Timeline
My dad is a smoker too and it makes things in my house smell a bit. I find that febreeze can take care of a lot of it. Air Wick also has this special spray designed specifically for airing out the smell of smoke... but it's just for the air, not really for spraying at stuff. Might work good in a car though!

Oooh... diversifying my portfolio! Febreeze AND Air Wick! That's awesome! Thanks for the idea!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

^^ need that for my hubby's car.. I keep telling him not to smoke in the car but he does anyways :P he buys this spray air freshner stuff but then the car just smells like fruit scented smoke :P

smoke smell makes me feel nauseous and gives me headaches sometimes..

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
^^ need that for my hubby's car.. I keep telling him not to smoke in the car but he does anyways :P

smoke smell makes me feel nauseous and gives me headaches sometimes..

I'm right there with you... the nausea and the headaches... oyyyy! When I go over there, I make sure that the bag that my stuff in it NEVER stays open. In addition, I always bring a ponytail holder, because one of the worst smells of all is what I call "bar hair". You know, the morning after going to a bar and your hair smells like the stale cigarettes. Ugh! I must admit though, I enjoy going to bars in Ontario, since they're smoke free! He likes going to bars here, because they're NOT! I was at a hotel this past fall for a conference, and there was a small spray bottle of some Jasmine scent... to help you fall asleep faster. Well, I use it when I'm there... the smell of the pillowcase (if the sheets weren't washed just before I arrived) makes it so I can't fall asleep. But, spraying that little bottle of heaven on my pillow makes it SO much easier to fall asleep!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I am just glad he doesn't smoke in the house... for one this is a non smoking apartment and 2 I would kill him if he did :P.

the smell does come in on his clothes though :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I am just glad he doesn't smoke in the house... for one this is a non smoking apartment and 2 I would kill him if he did :P.

I'm quite thankful he doesn't smoke in the house here, either. In addition, he doesn't smoke in my vehicle... just the smell from his clothes or breath (if it was just finished before getting in).

FYI... it's never suggested to kill the spouse. I've heard that people get in touble for that kind of stuff. LOL So, I'm really glad he doesn't smoke in the house! I'd hate to lose you here on VJ... I'm not sure they'd let you make posts from the "big house"! :lol:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I'm quite thankful he doesn't smoke in the house here, either. In addition, he doesn't smoke in my vehicle... just the smell from his clothes or breath (if it was just finished before getting in).

FYI... it's never suggested to kill the spouse. I've heard that people get in touble for that kind of stuff. LOL So, I'm really glad he doesn't smoke in the house! I'd hate to lose you here on VJ... I'm not sure they'd let you make posts from the "big house"! :lol:

:lol: yeah I guess not.. I will just have to curb those impulses then ...:P

when he gets home from work he goes straight to the bathroom and uses mouthwash but I can still taste the smoke when I kiss him.. ugh...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Bar hair is NASTY.... I believe it's actually throughout most of Canada you can't smoke anymore in bars which is sweet. But anyhoo, have you tried those Yankee Candle car freshners that hang on your rear mirror. They are SO strong (too strong for me in fact) but would kill any scent imaginable. And not only for your car, you could put one in each room or something and it would smell really nice instead of ciggy smoke!

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Using anythhing that smells nicewill not mask the odour, it will just mix in with it. I was a smoker before moving down here and my clothes smelled and my stuff smelled, but eventually the smell does air itself out. If you have a yard or a balcony you could leave the stuff outside? It all depends on how many things he has.

Baking soda and charcoal both neutralize odors so I guess you could use those too.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a great air freshener called Ozium that works great. I always used it in my car (I am a smoker) and people always commented on how clean my car smelled.

ozium.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Apparently, a pan full of hot vinegar (not boiling, hot) can take most odours out of a room. So theoretically, if you put all of his things into a specific room that did not have carpeting and then put a pan of hot vinegar in (perhaps using a hotplate?) for awhile, it would pull the smell out of his belongings. As for the garage? Garages usually have "garage smell" which can drown out just about any odour on the planet. Just don't leave all your windows down and you should be fine, I would think.

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.