ahlpo

Can I attend my wife's visa interview

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My wife has an invitation letter with her name on it but I'd like to join too, just to show support and help if necessary.

I know that the Embassy generally requires you to have your name on a list to be admitted though.

Does anyone know if the Embassy would let me in if I just show up with my wife for her interview?

If not, how can I get an invitation too?

Thanks in advance.

2008 Dec 01: Sent I-130

2008 Dec 04: Application returned (needed to supply proof of residence in UK)

2008 Dec 08: Sent amended I-130 with evidence

2008 Dec 10: Application filing date

2008 Dec 23: Received letter requesting interview about petition

2009 Jan 22: Appointment at US Embassy (verification of marriage bona fides)

2009 Jan 23: Approval of I-130

2009 Feb 13: Received Packet 3

2009 Feb 16: Returned Packet 3

2009 Feb 24: Medical exam at Knightsbridge Doctors

2009 Mar 05: Received Packet 4

2009 Mar 30: Visa interview - approved

2009 Mar 31: Visa received via SMS courier

London Embassy experience~~

I'm the USC and I showed up and got in line with my fiance. At the front where they check the appointment letter, I handed the man my American passport and said, "May I go inside with him? I am his fiance." He said, "no problem."

You could try that and if they say no, then wait in the park or Starbucks.

Their website does add that nobody will be allowed in unless they are on the appointment letter and it's in bold red letters. Have you called the embassy and asked the question and asked for the email code so you can email that question?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I just called the extortion info line and was told it was no problem; I just need to bring my US passport.

I did also ask for the email code though just to get written confirmation.

Will let you know once/if they respond.

I don't understand why this thread was moved.

Many people in the past have asked, in the UK section, questions related about the US Embassy in London because it's very specific. I see several that have not been moved and I'm genuinely looking for advice and experiences.

Having this thread in another section risks getting irrelevant responses related to other embassies, or too few responses because there aren't enough UK people watching it as it's too specific.

I'm not one to be difficult but I'd just like some consistency when coming to a web site that I genuinely enjoy and rely on for help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Organizers donate their time to VJ to help keep it neat and topics in the forum where it seems most relevant. Sometimes threads that should have been moved get missed, which would explain why some remain in the regional forum. Regardless of where this thread is, you've gotten good answers. Why make such a fuss?

ETA: I believe this was moved to the Embassy discussion since you are asking a question about an embassy.

Edited by *julez*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all,

My wife has an invitation letter with her name on it but I'd like to join too, just to show support and help if necessary.

I know that the Embassy generally requires you to have your name on a list to be admitted though.

Does anyone know if the Embassy would let me in if I just show up with my wife for her interview?

If not, how can I get an invitation too?

Thanks in advance.

as a USC... your PASSPORT is all the invitation you need to gain entry to the Embassy/Consulate compound...

YMMV

I can recall only twice in the past two years that a USC was denied entry to the Embassy in London to accompany their spouse/fiance on the interview.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
as a USC... your PASSPORT is all the invitation you need to gain entry to the Embassy/Consulate compound...

How do you explain then how in the past at the London Embassy on some days USC have been refused entry into the Embassy Consular section when accompanying the applicant, or that now more often than not even to use the US Citizens Services section you need an appointment.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

How do you explain then how in the past at the London Embassy on some days USC have been refused entry into the Embassy Consular section when accompanying the applicant, or that now more often than not even to use the US Citizens Services section you need an appointment.

read my post more clearly....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Anecdotal evidence suggests that USCs with passports have been denied entry for the purposes of attending a fiance's K1 interview. It is rare, but has happened.

It has happened on particular days. That is occasionally on a particular day they seem to not let the accompanying USC in. Most days there is no problem.

What has not be discovered is why that happens. Might be just a new or more strict security staff that day or some sort of heightened security.

read my post more clearly....

I did at London being able to wave a US passport will not always get you in so it isn't always an invitation.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline
I did at London being able to wave a US passport will not always get you in so it isn't always an invitation.

so what good is an Embassy/Consulate compound if a USC cannot at least go inside?

YMMV

London has gotten weird on occasion, and as Lansbury says nobody really knows why they have these one-day restrictions. I recall someone last year who was a spouse (I think) who tried to accompany and was told no, but then the very next day someone else accompanied their fiance and was let in for the interview.

I know that it used to be really, really easy to get into the Embassy as USC back in the mid to late 90s, then around the millennium (pre-9/11 even) they suddenly got restrictive on when you could go -- you had to make an appointment to get a new passport unless it was an utter emergency. You were previously able to go and have it done same day without any pressing reason. Then it seemed to relax again around 2006. I had to go to the IRS office there a few times in 2007 and I could walk in without an appointment, but I had to state I was going to see the taxman along with showing my passport.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.