HaPPyFeEt

Yet confused with AOS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I know I sometimes tend to make things complicated....which I'm sure someone out here can help me again......

1.Should I write down my " married" or Single name in all the forms for filing my AOS,AP,EAD etc? I have not yet changed my last name in my SSN since I heard that they require a valid I-194. However my I-194 is already expired so I assume they wont entertain me at the Social Security offices. What steps should be taken in such cases?

2.Plus....I worked in a Co for 2 months before my I-194 expired. should I mention that in my G-325? And does my hubby need to fill up another G-325 too?

I really appreciate any feedbacks......thanks guys!

US Entry: Flying to US, POE JFk- 27/11/08

Married on: FEBRUARY 10.2009 - Finally =D

AOS,EAD & AP (K1)

Filed on: March 13 2009- Chicago Lockbox

Recieved our pckge: March 17 2009

Check cashed: March 24 2009

NOA for AOS,EAD&AP: March 25 2009(Rcpt dated March 23 2009)

Biometrics: April 10, 2009

AP Recieved: May 15, 2009

EAD Card Rcvd: May 22, 2009

Interview: June 05, 2009approved!

Rcvd GC: July 02,2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I know I sometimes tend to make things complicated....which I'm sure someone out here can help me again......

1.Should I write down my " married" or Single name in all the forms for filing my AOS,AP,EAD etc? I have not yet changed my last name in my SSN since I heard that they require a valid I-194. However my I-194 is already expired so I assume they wont entertain me at the Social Security offices. What steps should be taken in such cases?

2.Plus....I worked in a Co for 2 months before my I-194 expired. should I mention that in my G-325? And does my hubby need to fill up another G-325 too?

1. Since you have not changed it with Social Security and I presume you have no drivers license, by which method have you "changed" your name? Getting married does not change your name, it grants a legal method to do so without court action. Being married allows you to present your marriage certificate to Social Security and the DMV and change your name. Since there is no longer an obligation for you to take your husband's name (it was in some states) it has become an action you must initiate and follow through with. I advise, as of now you could use either name for the AOS (therby intiating a name change). Easiest, smoothest way is to use maiden name on everything, get your documents, then send change of name notices AFTER all documents are in hand. Let thm play their name games on their time, not yours.

2. Generally this is overlooked at AOS interviews. My wife had a temp work authorization when she arrived, worked after the I-94 was expired but we had sent the AOS, and proudly put it on her G-325 and announced it to the interview officer without being asked. His response? No response. Completely ignored.

3. No your husband does not need another g-325

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

1. Since you have not changed it with Social Security and I presume you have no drivers license, by which method have you "changed" your name? Getting married does not change your name, it grants a legal method to do so without court action. Being married allows you to present your marriage certificate to Social Security and the DMV and change your name. Since there is no longer an obligation for you to take your husband's name (it was in some states) it has become an action you must initiate and follow through with. I advise, as of now you could use either name for the AOS (therby intiating a name change). Easiest, smoothest way is to use maiden name on everything, get your documents, then send change of name notices AFTER all documents are in hand. Let thm play their name games on their time, not yours.

2. Generally this is overlooked at AOS interviews. My wife had a temp work authorization when she arrived, worked after the I-94 was expired but we had sent the AOS, and proudly put it on her G-325 and announced it to the interview officer without being asked. His response? No response. Completely ignored.

I would not recommend using your maiden name when you file for AOS if you are planning on using your married name.

If you do file in your maiden name and wait until you have your greencard to then change it to your married name you are going to have to file a form I-90 and pay $370.00.

Use whatever name you plan on using in the future when you file for AOS. Once you have your EAD you can go to SSA and have your name amended to your married name, same with a drivers license or state ID.

Yes you must include any employment on your G-325.

Filed: Other Timeline

Gary -

#1 - That is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard.

#2 - You got lucky.

#3 - Well - one out of three is - um - less than stellar.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.