July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If you're now living in US, at what point do you get over the huge differences in laws & rules & policies and the things you find out that you have to jump through hoops to fully adjust? Cuz I know this is just a huge hurdle like the immigration forms... i'm going to get over it... but i'm just wondering where the end of the tunnel is and find light.

I feel like I'm there now.. it took about 2 yrs. and the filing of adjustment of status to feel like I was through the worst. If I choose to go for citizenship that will be the end of the road, but now.. I see a lot more light than I did when I first arrived. My part of the data collection etc, is over and I'm not filing for citizenship when I'm first eligible next year, I just don't have the inclination to do so, SO, I feel like I've arrived.

I'm in a town I love, I have friends and I feel settled now. I'm also in New England so culturally (other than being a faster pace of life and people generally being far more standoffish than I'm used to), things are culturally very similar to home, so I think that helps too.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
If you're now living in US, at what point do you get over the huge differences in laws & rules & policies and the things you find out that you have to jump through hoops to fully adjust? Cuz I know this is just a huge hurdle like the immigration forms... i'm going to get over it... but i'm just wondering where the end of the tunnel is and find light.

I feel like I'm there now.. it took about 2 yrs. and the filing of adjustment of status to feel like I was through the worst. If I choose to go for citizenship that will be the end of the road, but now.. I see a lot more light than I did when I first arrived. My part of the data collection etc, is over and I'm not filing for citizenship when I'm first eligible next year, I just don't have the inclination to do so, SO, I feel like I've arrived.

I'm in a town I love, I have friends and I feel settled now. I'm also in New England so culturally (other than being a faster pace of life and people generally being far more standoffish than I'm used to), things are culturally very similar to home, so I think that helps too.

E-I think border driver was talking about laws and policies in general, whether federal or state. Laws about bringing back her TV, for example.

You do make good points though about adjusting culturally.

I'm in a great town now as well. It's like living in the country and I love it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

E-I think border driver was talking about laws and policies in general, whether federal or state. Laws about bringing back her TV, for example.

You do make good points though about adjusting culturally.

I'm in a great town now as well. It's like living in the country and I love it.

:lol: k k carry on.. how could you ever figure out this crazy system? :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
:lol: EXACTLY.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Timeline
Thanks everyone.. I am just so overwelmed right now.. I needed to get that out of my heart.. it was starting to hurt so bad.. appreciate everyones love & understanding.

You're a good person, Em. (F)

b/c we have a 52" TV that is not properly working and need to move out of my husbands house. I really feel like breaking that sh*t with a bat

I'm with Em. I think it takes 1-2 years to adjust to where you're not having a meltdown about the differences anymore. After that you just tend to get mildly irritated like you would in Canada. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks everyone.. I am just so overwelmed right now.. I needed to get that out of my heart.. it was starting to hurt so bad.. appreciate everyones love & understanding.

You're a good person, Em. (F)

b/c we have a 52" TV that is not properly working and need to move out of my husbands house. I really feel like breaking that sh*t with a bat

I'm with Em. I think it takes 1-2 years to adjust to where you're not having a meltdown about the differences anymore. After that you just tend to get mildly irritated like you would in Canada. :lol:

Every single time I go to do something, whether it's trying to buy a house or whatever - the rules are different, the approach is different.

You know what i'm just thinking - i'm thinking maybe I need to change my approach to these people.

Timeline

Been here 1.5 yrs already - not feeling too positive about that light at the end of the tunnel myself. Been going through a huge bought of Homesickness - which really makes me see the differences.

I think we just have to accept that there are differences and this is the new normal for us - but we're here and hopefully we can shape the future a little with our Cdn perspective

That said - enjoy your time with the baseball bat - give that tv a wack for me in the name of all that is ridiculous :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline
Been here 1.5 yrs already - not feeling too positive about that light at the end of the tunnel myself. Been going through a huge bought of Homesickness - which really makes me see the differences.

:( (((((((((Udella)))))))))) (F)

I think we just have to accept that there are differences and this is the new normal for us - but we're here and hopefully we can shape the future a little with our Cdn perspective

Totally agree.

That said - enjoy your time with the baseball bat - give that tv a wack for me in the name of all that is ridiculous :)

:lol::thumbs:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I dont care for the area either,lol But in my case i just don't like big cities, I probably would not be happy in Toronto either,lol But were moving later on this year towards Baltimore--(but not in Baltimore,lol) so hopefully that helps

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks girls. i guess its different every other place. I really love the people in Westport, WA. There are many canadians that go there for surfing in the summer and have met other canadians and still carry on that friendship in Canada. I've also met a community leader for the things I'm interested in like dancing and a filipino community (which I was shocked to find out there's even one.lol). so I do well getting around and networking.

Its when i try to get a bank account, or car, or PUD stuff, or any fed./gov't/municipal/district/etc policies and rules. Its like they're really screwing with us on purpose. Here I am thinking American's are so much more relaxed and etc, especially when I talk to my American friends and our #1 topic of conversation is how much Insurance in BC is a rip off & scam and their DMV is like a walk in the park. yeah. boy was I wrong. I'm really hoping that its like skiing - its harder to get used to in the beginning and you progress faster after.

I guess i should be lucky my husband and I had a talk about where we would be calling our home - Port Angeles, WA - which is right across from Victoria, BC & a ferry ride away :lol: I told him there's no way we're going to live far from Canada and the mountains. haha and of course he doesnt want to be far from the ocean.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline
You know what i'm just thinking - i'm thinking maybe I need to change my approach to these people.

Whatcha gonna do?

Umm probably nothing :lol:

I was just mad there for a minute at getting the run around, but now I will just go back to ignoring it :hehe:

Timeline
I dont care for the area either,lol But in my case i just don't like big cities, I probably would not be happy in Toronto either,lol But were moving later on this year towards Baltimore--(but not in Baltimore,lol) so hopefully that helps

I don't like living in big cities either, back home most of my friends moved to TO and I was still in the burbs, here we're in the burbs, I like it so much better.

I know it's hard to adjust but then I think of what my new Russian Dr told me when we spoke about the immigration process & adjusting: he said at least you speak the language and it's a similar culture! Imagine how I felt when I moved here 20 years ago, didn't speak a word of English, life is so different b/w USA and Russia.... I think Canada and US have so many similiarities that I have it alot better than alot of immigrants, adjusting-wise. Which isn't to say there aren't difficult moments but I know many have it worse, I'm only an 8 hour drive from home that comforts me alot.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Last year I hated living in Medford, its basically yuppie ville in the middle of nowhere. Just on the edge of the Pine Barrens. This year I am in a bit of a busier area, I prefer cities myself but having a child kind of makes you rethink where you choose to live and it's really about whether he will in a safe environment. I don't think Philadelphia is a safe environment for him.

Where I am now is busier than where I was, and yet not so busy that it feels crazy. It's just right.

I still think NJ is a weird state though, it is one gigantic suburb.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Twitter is lame. I think it would be a good idea if it were interesting people who were leading extraordinary lives who were chronicling their lives. But 99.99999% i've found are people just talking about boring, mundane #######. Meh. I gave it a shot, i'm out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.