July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

So I'm working on another ad for South Jersey magazine for work. A small 1 column ad. I do enjoy this stuff because I feel like I am putting my education to work. What bothers me though, is that they want all of this information in there. They don't understand that you can only put so many words in before you start looking like a used car sales ad. They don't understand... I don't know how to make them understand without sounding b1tchy and cocky.

Although I'm not qualified or anything, I make all of the advertisements at work - signs, posters and all of our chalkboard displays throughout our internet cafe. It's a common struggle I have with my boss and his wife. "Can you fit this and this and this on there too?"

Not every single idea you come up with is going to look nice and concise on this display. I can make another display if you need, but at some point, throwing all of this into one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet makes it look like a yard sale sign.

I feel your pain.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So I'm working on another ad for South Jersey magazine for work. A small 1 column ad. I do enjoy this stuff because I feel like I am putting my education to work. What bothers me though, is that they want all of this information in there. They don't understand that you can only put so many words in before you start looking like a used car sales ad. They don't understand... I don't know how to make them understand without sounding b1tchy and cocky.

Although I'm not qualified or anything, I make all of the advertisements at work - signs, posters and all of our chalkboard displays throughout our internet cafe. It's a common struggle I have with my boss and his wife. "Can you fit this and this and this on there too?"

Not every single idea you come up with is going to look nice and concise on this display. I can make another display if you need, but at some point, throwing all of this into one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet makes it look like a yard sale sign.

I feel your pain.

Exactly!

This is going to look like a bad ad.

Let's just stop right now and bring out the word art and while we're at it lets put a dimly lit sign outside that says: "VACANCIES"

Donne moi une poptart!

"Jersey: not just a cow."

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They won't understand. Of this I am fairly certain.

Lay this bit of typesetting lingo on them:

Compression down to 1/4 of usual width seems near to what's

happening in my example: looking at the usual average space width in

formatted output and mentally taking 1/4 of that is quite near the

inter-letter spacing and that seems not to make much sense to me:

inter-word spacing should always be clearly discernible larger than

inter-letter space. otherwise the reader at times really has

difficulties to decide where the word boundaries are.

Show them who's boss, Sprail....

:D

Oh and PS...

I have found that working in graphic design/typesetting that sometimes you just have to either suck up a clients bad idea OR you do the right thing that looks

good and either they won't notice or they'll be like, "cool... that looks good..."

Whatever -- the costumer is ALWAYS right...

;)

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Yea its funny, when my husband does freelance work he always gets people who want bad design. The funniest was this chef from NYC who wanted animated knives all over his page and my husband was like: "I'll do the design, and then when I am finished you can tell me if you want your crazy knife idea on the page"

After he was finished, the chef decided that my husband's design was sufficient enough.

Anyways I made two designs, one with their wording and one with mine.

I WON! :D

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Yea its funny, when my husband does freelance work he always gets people who want bad design. The funniest was this chef from NYC who wanted animated knives all over his page and my husband was like: "I'll do the design, and then when I am finished you can tell me if you want your crazy knife idea on the page"

After he was finished, the chef decided that my husband's design was sufficient enough.

Hehe, reminds me of the caterer for our wedding. He does his own website and made a special one for his high school reunion. He was all impressed with himself that he made music play when you go on the webpage...

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

Hehe, reminds me of the caterer for our wedding. He does his own website and made a special one for his high school reunion. He was all impressed with himself that he made music play when you go on the webpage...

I HATE THAT! I HATE MUSIC ON PAGES!

It's like deciding that it's what your readers want to listen to. It makes me angry! :angry: Esp when my volume is turned way up and it scares the bejeezus outta me.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Music on websites makes me want to scream.

So. Cheesy.

I would never do it. That or the dancing knives!

;)

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

What about for musicians and producers, hmm? How about that??? Still too cheeeeeesy for ya?

Hmph.

Okay, fine. I don't have music streaming on my website...though I do have a page with samples of my productions. I'm assuming you mean streaming music though, right?

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I really hate our landlords. They are trying to scare us into paying the gas bill that they are responsible for. I just got a call where he asked me to pay "my part" of the gas bill. Well, if you can furnish me an itemized bill that shows the allocation of gas to each unit, yes, I will be happy to pay my portion of it. But, since you are unable to, as per the state code, it is your responsibility. I know the law, but I have a feeling they are still going to be as$hats about this.

Or when u go to leave the place, they wont give back ur down deposit!!

They won't give it back no matter what we do. We had a big fiasco with the gas/water heater that lead up to this. We had no hot water for a week because the management company wouldn't come out and open a locked door so that the gas company (or anyone else) could light the water heater. The lease is really a mess, and when Mel gets a job, we're going to move ASAP.

Have you paid the gas bill before? Does your lease say you're responsible for the gas bill? Yeah...unless they have seperate meters hooked up to each apartment, how the heck could they say you owe money for the gas bill? :blink:

The lease says that the tenant is responsible for the utilities (except water). So when I first moved in, I called the electric company and set up my account. But, when I called the gas company, they informed me that it was master metered. In my case, there were 3 apartments hooked up to the same meter and if I continued and set up the account, my bill each month would refelct the usage of 3 units. When I spoke to the landlord, I asked him straing out, "So am I to pay the bill each month for 3 units, then go to each tenant and get them to pay me back?". I think that is unreasonable. Seeing as we never use any gas anyways really, I think a 1/3 split of the utilities is a bit of a stretch. But at this point, I think it might be worth it just to not have to deal with these people.

Timeline

Yes Wyatt!

You know those sites for like say, greeting cards and such and you open up the page and this jingly, bad music starts blaring at you?

That. That's what I'm talking about.

No offense to musicians and/or producers at all. That ain't cheesy, that is art, brothah!

;)

What about for musicians and producers, hmm? How about that??? Still too cheeeeeesy for ya?

Hmph.

Okay, fine. I don't have music streaming on my website...though I do have a page with samples of my productions. I'm assuming you mean streaming music though, right?

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Filed: Timeline

Hmph.

Is this the ghey p0rn website my brother was raving on and on about last night???? :jest:

Timeline
Exactly!

This is going to look like a bad ad.

Let's just stop right now and bring out the word art and while we're at it lets put a dimly lit sign outside that says: "VACANCIES"

That company that wanted me to redo their webpage last month - the one that has, working for them, the two women I used to work with doing their marketing and whatever, well give them free rein and this is what happens (which I was a bit surprised at, because while one of them is a flake - the other one appears to be rather normal). This is a flyer, that goes on and on for pages, walls of text and text over pictures - it's unreadable.

ssgflyer.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

oh my...thats hard on the eyes.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.